What's new

Any Tangerine Dream fans here (1 Viewer)

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I've been aware of them since the late 70's but only started buying their albums in '85 with Le Parc being the first one.
I then went back to search for some older stuff and ended up with the albums Hyperborea, Stratosfear and the soundtrack album Heartbreakers (all original releases from Virgin). Soon after that, I purchased the CD of Le Parc as one of my first two CD's I ever bought (Heart's Little Queen being the other one), before I even bought my first CD Player.
Since then, I've bought most of the studio CD's released since up to Tyranny of Beauty and went back a bought the older stuff on CD like Tangram, White Eagle, Exit (the old Elektra CD), Force Majeure, Ricochet, Hyperborea (to replace the album), and Pheadra (being their oldest I have at the moment).
The only compilation I have is the Tangents boxed set.
The only video I have is the Three Phase laserdisc (the companion to the 220 Volt Live CD).
I know about the "years" of theirs - the "Pink Years", "Blue Years", "Melrose Years", etc... I just happen to like the stuff more from about '75 through '95 and even then, I'm selective of which pieces I like - especially with the stuff from '88 to '95.
Now, I don't have any of their stuff since '95's Tyranny, and I'm wondering how any of it compares. I also know that most of the other stuff they've been putting out are remixes and all, but I don't know how interested in any of that I may be.
Thoughts?
Joel
[Edited last by Joel Fontenot on November 16, 2001 at 08:59 AM]

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Joel:
I've been a TD fan since seeing the films Sorcerer and Thief and have collected many of their commercial recordings since then. Of their most recent albums, I'd recommend you pick up Goblin's Club and Mars Polaris. Of all the "Dream Mixes" series, I liked Volume 3, the latest one, the best. It seem to have the best mix of old TD, new TD, and the club music.
I can only hope that an official, legitimate, complete soundtrack to The Keep is issued one day. The bootleg and their own, modified, release don't cut it.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I rented almost every movie they did the music for just for that reason- it doesn't seem like they've done any new ones in a long time.
Ever heard their first album "Electronic Meditation" from 1969? It was quite a shock hearing that when all I'd heard before was their 80's stuff!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Yes, I've got that one. I can't say I listen to it very often (probably only once or twice); just a little too much like electronic noise for me. If you can find it inexpensively, the 5 disc set "Dream Roots Collection" is a must. It collects the best of this early material into one package. Some of the tracks are slightly re-recorded and/or remixed and I thought they did a very good job of it. I also recommend Edagr Foese's solo albums (if you can find them on CD): Aqua, Epsilon in Malaysian Pale, Pinnacles Stuntman and Kamikaze 1989; the best of these are collected on a two-disc set called Beyond the Storm.
They haven't done too much feature film work recently, which is too bad.

John K Carter

Stunt Coordinator
Kicking in my 2 cents.
Rubycon 1975, Logos-1982 live, Poland-The Warsaw Concert
are my favorites. The first 10 mins of Rubycon is as trippy as anything I ever heard.
As for soundtracks, Sorcerer (their 1st ST)& Thief.
Amazon has several TD titles in stock.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The liner notes on the "Sorcerer" album cover (the LP at least, not sure about the CD) say that William Friedkin would have had Tangerine Dream do the music for "The Exorcist", had he known they existed at the time.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I first heard TD in 1989. I believe it was Optical Race that first got me hooked. I'm not sure about this but I believe my CD of the Miracle Mile soundtrack is OOP and semi-valuable. Anyone know about this?

Doug M

Auditioning
You guys might be interested to know that Tangerine Dream will be touring the US in Jan-Feb. They were first scheduled to arrive in Nov-Dec, but they were forced to change plans after 9/11. This is their first US tour since 1992, and this time around, they're playing much smaller venues.
Although their official webpage (Link Removed) doesn't yet indicate the rescheduled dates, Ticketmaster apparently has the new dates and are selling tickets to most of the venues.
http://www.ticketmaster.com/cgi/arti...&MinorCATID=60
Pollstar still has only one of the dates listed
http://www.pollstar.com/tour/searcha...angerine+dream
I'll be at the show in Minneapolis, and possibly Chicago.
Doug M

Raine Linton

Stunt Coordinator
I saw them right after Stratosphere was released. It is still one of the best concerts I've ever seen. Two giant revolving mirrors, computer lights, a giant screen with designs that changed and three guys with computers and keyboards that kicked out the most spacey, energetic music I'd ever heard. I bought as many "albums" as I could find. I think Alpha Centari/Atem was the first. I've seen them every time they come to town and was dissapointed to know they cancelled their Nov. 14th show, but it's understandable. I'll be there Feb. 28th!! Tangerine Dream has lead me to each members solo albums/CD's, to Michael Hoenig "Departure from the Northern Wastlands", to Ashra and as much of Manuel Gottsching's work that I can find. Harald Grosskopf, Lutz Ulbrich, and many others. Even though the members of TD have changed to the point that their "Old School" sound is gone, the band will remain one of my favorites.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Doug, thanks for the tour update. I'd been relying on their own page to give me the status - that'll teach me. I see they are playing TWO nights in New York now, I can't wait!

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
My first exposure to them was in "Risky Business", and I fell in love. :)
Roadtripped to Chicago to seem them on the "Optical Race" tour. Awesome.
Looks like the closest they're coming to me is either Minneapolis or Denver. Hmmmm....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks