What's new

any talk about the JVC DP10 or 20 reciever? (1 Viewer)

TimGRA

Stunt Coordinator
Has anybody used one of these? The features are amazing and IM curious why there is no talk of this reciever?:emoji_thumbsup: :thumbsdown:

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I've found that most people that JVC is too low end..........BS!
I've used JVC for yrs., not the models you mentioned tho. JVCs tend to run cheaper than others with the same features, so they must not be any good, right? But some of these same people will buy Bose! Go figure THAT!
I think JVC makes outstanding stuff, for the price. If and when I need a new receiver, I'll probably get another JVC, because of all the features and inputs and ease of use. Once people get a JVC, they are amazed at the quality, because they weren't expecting it............

LCSeminole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Laurence
Tim, the 10 and 20 models you mentioned are JVC's top end models and have both gotten good reviews. They are well built and easily compare to Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, Yamaha, etc.,etc.,etc. As for their other models these do not stack up as well and aren't nearly built as well. You can tell by just picking it up, looking through the top and seeing the insides and the grade of parts that are used. Nothing against these models since they aren't directed at all consumers. They are great components for those that aren't looking to spend a fortune.

Dave_vega

Stunt Coordinator
I run an 8010vbk and I was going to upgrade to a marantz, but I really can't justify the extra money on a new receiver..the 8010 sounds good and has plenty of power and features..it has served me well and continues to do so..never had a problem with it..

TimGRA

Stunt Coordinator
If anybody else has anything, please chime in. The reason I started this thread was because most of the lower end JVC is exactly that, but these 2 new models for the money cant be beat. Keep talking~

ps. No i don't work for JVC and frankly have had Pioneer Elite equipment until recently. Upgraded to Parasound, but if I were looking I would buy the 20 in a heartbeat

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I think the 10 & 20 are great receivers but the 10 doesn't have Doly Digital EX, Dolby Pro-Logic II, DTS ES, DTS Neo or DTS 96/24 & that kind of makes it out of date with some new receivers even having Dolby Pro-Logic IIx & I think the 20 tends to be over-priced compared to other brands in the same class, at least at the prices I've seen it at. I was hoping that JVC would of added the 6th amp in the 9 model & all the Dolby & DTs formats then I think you might be talking about a nice receiver at a low price. I have the JVC receiver catalog so if you want any info on any of the JVC's let me know.

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
The early 10's had reliabilty issues, but JVC fixed it by updating during production. They have a great amp section.
JVC's reputation in the receiver department has always suffered due to its stance of providing features over real power in its lower-mid lines. The 20 looks great, and will really be a viable option when it comes down to around $1000 street.

Pioneer has Elite, Yamaha has the RX line, Sony has ES, but JVC hasn't made a visible distinction in its line and I think it has hurt credibility.

I upgraded my JVC 9010 to a HK AVR7200 this fall and there is a real difference in the 100 wpc of the 2 amp sections.

By a 20 and give up a review!

Dennis

TimGRA

Stunt Coordinator
Dennis thanks for the vote of confidence, but IM waiting for the new wave of Pre-Pros to come out. If a JVC rep is watching this thread I would be more than happy to sample one for 30 days and give a review.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Dennis, I bought my daughter the 9010 about 1 1/2 years ago because of the 2 Zone Feature, RF Remote, 2 Video Dubbing Loops, 2 Audio Dubbing Loops & a Phono Input plus the USB Input for her Laptop & she really needed all of those features & it was under $300 & nothing came close to it for the price & she has never had any problem with it but she lives in another state & I have never heard it but from what I've read about it, it will keep pace with any of the lower priced Pioneer's, Kenwood's, Technics's & etc. What did you think of the 9010's Sound Quality? I know it doesn't compare to HK's & etc but what is your take on it compared to other lower priced receivers at the time of it's release? She loves it though especially the 2 Zone Feature & RF Remote so I guess that's all that really counts.

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Bill,

I still use the 9010 in my living room 5.1 setup. I really liked most of the features it had. The 5 center modes were great at making subtle adjustments to some dialogue tracks that were weak, I wish my HK had this. I also liked the digital signal detection on the JVC better than my 1-2 second delay that the HK has.

If the JVC would have had 7.1 & preouts, I wouldn't have upgraded. I occasionally drove it into shut down in my larger front projection theater once I upgraded to Polk RTi70 towers and RTi55 surrounds from the smaller Polks that ran with it in my direct view setup.

I also have a JVC RX-DV3 combo for my bedroom setup and it is great for what I ask of it, the occasional movie before shuteye. I am surround poor in my house raising 5 kids and each wanting surround for their MP3,DVD,MTV etc.

I do think that JVC offers great value as far as features go and the sound is on par with most receivers in their respective power output. I believe that overstating of their lower models hurt the credibilty of the DP models.I just wish that companies would be required to rate receivers accurately, but that is a whole other thread.

Dennis

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
The 10 and 20 are great receivers! Never owned a bad JVC product! great company!
Also consider the Denon 4802R, Sony 5000ES,HK 7200, and Pioneer 47. You will find out that you will not use most of those extra features that are missing on the 10. Big great amps are the important thing to look for. The 10, 7200, 4802R and 47 have been tested and deliver the goods. Still waiting for a 5000es review.:D

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Speakers have a LOT to do with how things sound. I run my JVC 8020 through Allison AL-115 speakers (main) and small Sonys for rears, and it sounds as good as any other receiver I've heard......at any price. I'm not saying it because I own one. I own one because of it! It cost me $299 a little over a year ago, and sounds as good as the $800-$1000 receivers I've heard.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

There was one thing that I really loved on the JVC RX-8000VBK receiver that I used to own --- a center channel equalizer. If you were running a different brand of center channel speaker from your other front speakers, you could adjust the EQ to get the sound of the center channel to match that of your left and right speakers. Plus, that JVC receiver that I had featured different crossover points for sending low frequencies to your subwoofer. Imagine all of those neat things -- and it seems a few other receivers just got the ability to perform some levels of bass management within the last few releases - however, JVC had it about 4 years back on their $499 receiver. Impressive.

However, I will state that for me, I don't think the latest gear from JVC (specifically the 8030 receiver) is made quite as good as my old RX-8000VBK - for that receiver was built like a tank. Whereas the newer replacement seems to weigh quite a few pounds less.

Had it not been for the desire to have Pro Logic II, I probably still would have that beast on my shelf.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Wayne, From JVC Catalogs:
RX-8000VBK 26.3 lbs.
RX-8010VBK 25.4 lbs.
RX-8020VBK 25.4 lbs.
RX-8030VBK 27 lbs.

Another reason I liked the 9010 was that you could set each input for the tone controls including the center speaker as you mentioned. This way all my daughter's boyfriend had to do was adjust each input including AM or FM for her "once" so now all she has to do is select & input & not have to fool with anything, though she does fool with the DSP modes now & then but she does know how to set it back the way her boyfriend set it for her. Thanks Dennis so I guess I did OK selecting the JVC for her. I did talk to her boyfriend after he set it up & he was impressed by the JVC but he did say that it wasn't as "clean" as his Onkyo but he thought it was great receiver for my daughter & he was imperessed with all the features that the JVC had for under $300

scott_ae

Auditioning
Hello,

I've had an RX-DP10B for about a year and a half. It is awesome. It got very good reviews from the industry rags. (Even the Absolute Sound gave it a year end editors choice award)

It DOES have DTS-EX and DD-ES even though the symbols are not on the front. They are fully explained in the manual and they do work.

Someone mentioned that it doesn't have Pro-logic II. That is correct. I checked out DPII when I was shopping and it became a non-factor for me. In my opinoin it doesn't sound any better than the other propirietary DSP modes that are available. I usually use full channel stereo if I want to fill the room with music.

Anyway - I'm not going to repeat the features. You can read them in the downloadable manuals. I just wanted to say that I have had no problems and would highly recommend it.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks