ANY SVS sub good?....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher Chung, Jul 31, 2001.

1. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

Looking at the SVS web site, and hearing all the hype about them here in the forums, I'm intrigued with them. Since I'm on an extremely tight budget, I was looking at the 25-31 CS model, the lowest costing one, and was wondering if any of them live up to what SVS is?
    Also, about powering these subs, could you "just hook 'em up to any old reciever" to power them? I have an old Sony reciever from about '93, would this be sufficiet? What about powering ANY sup to an old reciever?
    Yes I'm a newbie... Thanks for any info you post!!

2. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Christopher,
    That old receiver should work fine to power a 25-31CS. The CS subs are fantastically efficient. Even 50-75 Watts from an old receiver like the Sony (what's is rated at?) will do great. You will NOT max out the sub and you DO need to pay close attention to making sure you don't push the receiver into clipping or shutdown (or meltdown) but if you keep your calibration at sane levels it'll be fine.
    Tom Vodhanel did a good deal of testing with the cheapest stereo receiver he could find at Best Buy (an $80 KLH with 100 watts per channel rated into 8 ohms) and he was stunned at how well it did powering a pair of 25-31s.
    We regularly get folks using old fly-weight amps with their CS subs. The fact so many good old amps and receivers are around is the very reason we designed the CS line!
    Ron

3. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

Alright Ron, Thanks for the tip. Knowing this makes me want to get the sub even more now!!