any SVS CS owners try this for amplification???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rodneyH, Sep 20, 2001.

1. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I am seriously considering a SVS subwoofer, but my only question is this. Since I don't want to use a normal amp to power the sub, could I just buy a sub amp/crossover (adire audio has a fairly good deal on a 250W) and screw it on the back of the SVS cabnet. it is 10" wide (and a flat shape) so it may stick out a little (even if I turn it towards the back), has anyone else tried this???

2. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

You might just make a separate box to house the plate amplifier and then hide it behind your SVS.

3. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

4. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Don't screw the amp into the CS. Put it in a separate box. You can then run speaker wires from the amp to the sub without ruining the looks and sound of the sub.

5. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

The parts express looks like a good alternative. When you mention cardboard, ARE YOU SERIOUS??

6. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Yep!
    ------------------
    "You Hungarians always disagree"

7. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Actually, I think it's fiberboard. The original SVSs were made from Sonotube (those construction tubes used to make cement cylinders), now they have a proprietary tube.

8. Ron Stimpson

Ron Stimpson Stunt Coordinator

Rodney,
    Our custom drawn, polymer-wrapped, tubing has about as much in common with "cardboard" as a hotdog does with a racehorse...
    Both can be eaten in a pinch, both are (or were) "meat"; and both are longer than they are tall.
    I'd say that covers it. Even "Sonotube" is similar only in concept. Very different material, made in different way and to our exacting specifications. You might as well call MDF (medium density fiberboard, which many speakers use for enclosures) "dried wood-dust paste".
    On power, put an amp in a small box, tuck it away in your HT and you'll have a great budget way to power a CS sub. Take a look at pictures of our PC line however and I think you'll see that strapping on a standard plate amp to one of our subwoofers is impossible. I'd rather see you get a nice used box amp, or even a $80 KLH receiver from Best Buy (they work great for sub power!) than cut into a new SVS.
    Don't go there please.
    Ron
    [Edited last by Ron Stimpson on September 21, 2001 at 07:48 PM]

9. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Right, sorry for generalizing. Since I know what a good material such a tube is for a sub, I didn't see people taking it in the wrong way. Whatever it is, it obviously works extremely well in its application. I was referring to Sonotube, which I was under the impression was the material used according to the Nousaine review. Bottom line, though: don't try to screw into it.
    That's an accurate description of MDF, though. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Jack Gilvey on September 21, 2001 at 07:33 AM]