Any Suzanne Vega fans here?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, May 21, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I just find her voice soothing. I think my favorite album of hers is "Solitude Standing". I gave her latest album a spin, but only a couple of the songs grabbed me.

I did see her in a small venue over 15 years ago, and was shocked by her speaking voice, pretty much a radio quality DJ voice.

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I have Solitude Standing, I like her voice. I'll have to give it another spin...

KJP

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I love the line "If language were liquid, it would be rushing in."

4. Bill Leber

Bill Leber Stunt Coordinator

My wife and I saw her just a couple months ago. It was a great show, she told lots of stories about the songs. I really enjoy Songs in Red and Grey (the new CD). You might want to give it another go.

5. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Patrick, do you own the record or CD?
    I really like her a lot, I have her first 3 vinyl records, Suzanne Vega, Solitude Standing, and Days of Open Hand with "Tom's Diner" on it. All 3 are in mint condition and sound great.
    I have 9 Objects of Desire on CD, it is very good too.[​IMG]

6. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I have 4 albums by her. "Solitude Standing", "Suzanne Vega", "Days of Open Hand" and "9 Objects of Desire" and 9 objects is my least favorite by far. I have heard her new album takes her in a new direction and have been interested in getting it but just haven't gotten around to it just yet. I think her early stuff is simply spectacular. Great for a rainy Saturday afternoon.

7. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i've got her self-titled on lp, plus 'solitude standing' on cd. solitude standing is a great album - very easy to listen to when you've got homework or something going on. also nice when you need to mellow out.
    i haven't really listened to any of her stuff since then...
    several of her songs i really really like:
    marlena on the wall, luka, left of center (from the pretty in pink sndtrk) & tom's diner (dna remix...i know it's technically not her, but it's just too damn catchy not to like!) [​IMG]

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

She was a guest vocalist on Joe Jackson's "Heaven And Hell" song cycle album. Her performance is very good on her piece. "Hey chicken, how's the steam on the stovepipe?"

NP: David Edwards: "Get The Picture" (about as obscure as you'll ever get)

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I have Suzanne's 1st 4 albums (CD!) as well before I lost touch with her more recent output. Perhaps I'll swing by a used CD store and see if I can score her latest CD.

I also enjoyed her "Left of Center" off the "Pretty In Pink" soundtrack.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I have the Solitude Standing CD. It brings back memories of my high school days when "Luka" was constantly on the radio. I too like her voice, so I should look into her other CDs.

12. chris c

chris c Stunt Coordinator

There's a very good, albeit expensive, greatest available as an import. It even has a bonus cd of some live performances. It's called "Best of: Tried and True". I love it. Here's the copy:

17 track hits collection with all of the beloved singer/ songwriter's finest, including the top five smashes 'Luka' & 'Tom's Diner' (D.N.A. featuring Suzanne Vega), plus 'Left Of Center' from the 'Pretty In Pink' soundtrack and more.

13. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Thanks to this thread, I brought my copy of Solitude Standing into work and have been listening to it all day! Luka brings back memories of an old girlfriend I was seeing when that song was popular.

What other CDs of hers are good, I might have to expand my collection...

KJP

14. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I stopped listening to her after the ultra-annoying "Book of Dreams" in which she repeated the words "In my book of dreams" about 4,000 times.

Maybe I'll give her another chance.

15. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Kevin, stick with the early stuff..."Suzanne Vega" and "Days of Open Hand". Both very similar to "Solitude Standing". You'll like both a lot I think, if you liked that one.

16. kevin_tomb

kevin_tomb Stunt Coordinator

I still love SOLITUDE STANDING best. Besides its sounds really great also. The perfect blend of vocals a few songs with good deep bass and really clear music that isnt overproduced.

17. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i totally agree kevin. i often use luka as one of my auditioning samples. great test for speakers...