any suggestions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Terry U, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Terry U

Terry U Auditioning

I have been looking to upgrade our home theater and one of the areas I have pent the most time evaluating has been speakers. The best I have heard so far is th B&W 805. I also like the Jm Labs Cobalt speakers. I have not heard the Electras. The B&W cdmnt1 is a nice speaker. I am planning on demoing the Dynaudio speakers and the Quad moving coil speakers. I will also demo the Meadowlark speakers. I have listened to Martin Logans and they were to expensive and congested in the upper mids when pushed hard. The Revel M20 was nothing special. I have heard the Mirage OMS 7 and it is to colored and not detailed. The Athena towers were ok but not nice enough to buy. The Paradigms and the 600 B&W line were not near good enough. What else should I demo. I would like to hear Coincident and Joeseph audio speakers but there are no dealer anywhere remotely close.

2. Brandon Blair

Brandon Blair Stunt Coordinator

Terry,

Those are all good choices in speakers. Here's my personal experience with some of them, but remember all that really matters is how you hear them and what you like best.

I've heard most of the speakers you mentioned and I personally would rank the top 3 as; 1)JM Lab Electra, 2)B&W Nautilus, and 3) JM Lab Cobalt. I have always been a very big fan of the Nautilus speakers, I had a pair of 805's and an HTM-1 for 2 years and my father has had 4 801's and an HTM-1 for 4 years. About 6 months ago I got to listen to a whole bunch of JM Lab speakers (the Chorus, Cobalt, Electra, and Mezzo and Micro Utopia's). I was absolutely amazed at how much more i enjoyed both the electra's and utopia's. Within a month I sold my B&W's and bought a pair of Electra 906's (bookself's) and the 901 CC (center channel). While my B&W's were great sounding speakers the Electra's in my opinion are on another level (the Utopia's were even better but way out of my price range). This was with the exact same electronics. After my dad heard them, he is now planning on selling his Naulilus 801's and buying buying a pair of Utopia's and a pair of Micro Utopia's.

But this is just my personal listen preference and you really can't go wrong with either one, I'll just recomend that you demo the Electra's if at all possible.

Good Luck,
    Brandon