Any suggestions for making my sub sound better?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey Noel, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

I currently live in a dorm room, which is 13'x15', and have an issue with the sound of my sub. Well, I have my sub in the corner where it sounds the best overall, but sounds way too loud along the side wall. When I sit on my couch, it sounds as if the bass is just traveling along the wall, if that makes sense.
    What I want to know is what can I do to make the bass sound like its coming from everywhere, rather than just along the wall? Or is it something I'll just have to live with until I move out?
    Any help/suggestions would be and are greatly appreciated.
    BTW, my sub is the 10" Yamaha YST-SW320, which is downfiring and has a side-firing port.
    ------------------
    God bless!
    jeffrey noel
    My DVD Collection

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Hmm... if your dorm is anything like dorms I have been in, the walls are probably concrete/block. You are probably experiencing a wave (or waves) that is resonating along that stretch of (I am assuming) 15' length. (about 73Hz). I would try hanging a blanket on the wall to see if that breaks up the wave. If that helps, you may want to create some sort of acoustic treatment to hang there (unless the blanket looks nice [​IMG]). Basically play around with how your sub and furniture is arranged. Also, (your neighbors will probably hate this suggestion) a second sub can help spread the bass more evenly throughout the room.
    I had a similar problem in my recroom with my 12" shiva. It was behind a couch in the back corner of my listening area and if you sat along the wall you would hear much more bass than elswhere in the room. However, mine was more due to the couch absorbing much of the sound coming out except for the 2' gap between the wall and the couch where the waves could escape unimpeded. My solution? I bought a new house. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Dave Poehlman
    [​IMG]
    It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going.