What's new

Any suggestions for indoor antena for HDTV? (1 Viewer)

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
Hi! I have 42" Plasma Panasonic TH-42PX60U. I do not have cable (don't watch that much TV). Can anyone recommend an indoor antena for it (cheap and/or expensive)? I see lots of indoor antenas that get poor reviews, so I was hoping for some expert advice from members here. Thanks!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The size/type of antenna that you need varies by your location. Since you haven't posted that, we really can't help. It's like going to a car forum and asking for car recommendations without giving a budget or any other needs (like seating for 6, etc.).

You can find out what you need by going to antennaweb.org and entering your address. The results are conservative so pick a 2 story house from the drop-down. It will give you a better idea of what you can pick up.

-Robert

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator

I already went there actually. They say on their site that they do not do indoor antenaes because of the many variables involved.

Will it help to post details here for someone to help me? If so what details do I need to share? I'm really looking for a recommendation in brand and model. Aren't there any that are better than others based on that? Or is my location helpful in regards to finding a truly compatible brand and model?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you are 2 miles from your local antenna farm, then a paper clip in the antenna input would work. If you are 25 miles away, there are dozens of factors that can hamper reception by an indoor antenna. Do you need UHF, VHF or a combo? Uni-directional or omni-directional? If you want brands, most from Radio Shack work well (if you are close enough) as long as they aren't the Terk brand or a Terk knockoff.

I'm 22 miles from the Memphis antenna farm and used a Radio Shack Double Bow Tie UHF antenna for about a year. It worked well with the exception of my local NBC station. I didn't watch anything on NBC until last year's TV season. So I upgraded to a 42" UHF antenna. And technically it is indoors since I have it mounted in my attic. It will work great until Feb of 2009 when a few of the stations move from UHF back into the VHF band. I'll have a monster combo antenna installed by then.

-Robert

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The "Phillips Silver Sensor - Classic" version is available for about $22 on line. I keep one at my desk and loan it to co-workers when they announce the just got a new HDTV. Out of seven people - six went out and bought one themselves before returning mine.

Cloud

Agent
Real Name
Jeff
After trying many different indoor and outdoor antenas, this is what I did =

I purchased one of these:
Amazon.com: Philips MANT950 Indoor/Outdoor Amplified UHF/VHF/HDTV Antenna: Electronics

The antenna it comes with works terribly. I hooked up the powered amplifier they way the instructions indicate, then I hooked up a basic non powered 'rabbit ear' type antenna and set it on my window sill. I'm 27 miles from the nearest tower and I get 30 channels, 17 of which are in hd.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
These are all great suggestions. Thanks! I will look into my options based on this. I learned I'm like 27 miles away from the antena farm, btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks