any stereo amp recommendations?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Joshua_P, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Joshua_P

Joshua_P Auditioning

I was wondering if anyone would recommend and quility stereo amp for about $1200

I am going us my HK as a Preamp(would this be ok) it does have pre out, main in. I have an HK 3375 Stereo receiver and its only got 75watts per channel. Its not in a very big room, but I heard about the tweets blowing from underpower in my JBL ND310II Speakers. Prolly due to amplifier clipping from most people using cheap stuff on the speakers. I know I have a good stereo reciever I hope. Definitally the best looking. But I also have 2 infinity powered subs. 10" 150 watts. I am just wondering about why kind of options I have for hooking all this up. My receiver do have dual sub preout. So thats why I got 2 subs. Its only for music. Do you think my receiver will be enough or do I need to get a power amp. I was kinda going for about 200watts of clean power. But I am in the Navy, so I dont' get to a chance to hear very many home systems. I am buy all this stuff now so I have it when Iget out. Any thoughts of recommendations?

2. JeffHunter

JeffHunter Stunt Coordinator

I don't think it will be a problem at all, as long as you don't push the receiver. Harman Kardon has a very detailed PDF about that on their website, things not to do and why it can be a problem.

3. Joshua_P

Joshua_P Auditioning

any thoughts? anyone?

4. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

well, for a stereo amp new i would look at the following

marsh a200s (great write ups)
    odyssey stratos http://www.odysseyaudio.com/stratos.html
    adcom gfa 5400
    rotel rb-1080
    parasound halo a23

there are a bunch of others, I would also consider used...

jbl's tend to be very efficient...i wouldnt think that you would need all that power...on the list i put up, i think the only ones that are 200 watts are the adcom and the rotel...the marsh is 100 watts (which is usually plenty), i think the odyssey is 150...

this place has an adcom b-stock thats really cheap:

http://www.jeffssoundvalues.com/Inventory/Preamps.htm

i would really search around audiogon.com

another idea might be to get something like the naim nait 5 integrated (and use the tuner from the H&K) its only 30 watts, but i heard a pair of $10k wilsons played with it and it blew me away...or maybe a used classe cap-101..that will upgrade both your amp and your pre/pro...

but after having said all that, i wouldnt worry about the H&K, I would spend my $1200 on new speakers...Soliloquy is coming out with some new models and some places are discounting the "out of production" models at 50% off...
    for example, these...
    http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...ull&1074311376

Rich

5. Rich Wenzel

6. Joshua_P

Joshua_P Auditioning

Thinks so much Rich, I am going to look in to the Models that you suggested. I also have one more questions for any recommendations for a DAC's I dont any where I can go to listen to any external DAC's So I am pretty much going on a recommmendations from you guys.

the one thing I really would like to replace with a better changer or get and external DAC, IMHO, I think would be a better think. I have a Sony 300 dics. What are some things I should look for. I realy like the fact with my CD changers my disc won't get scratched, but also I dont know how long it will last, these thing wear out I guess, at which point then I will replace it. I am just a misguided child on this huge but close would of audio. Please teach me the ways.

7. Richard Ansley

Richard Ansley Auditioning

I just bought a Rotel amplifier 1080. I am using it with my Yamaha rxv-800 and driving b&w 605 speakers, main channels. All I can say it is very nice. I hear things very clearly. Quite an improvement from just the receiver amplifer.

8. Joshua_P

Joshua_P Auditioning

I think I figured out what I am going to do, I found the outlaw website and I think I am going to go with two M200's for my speakers, they seem to match my speakers. After looking at the models rich suggested, I felt they were too good for my speakers and really didn't match the rest of my equiptment. like putting a jaguar motor in a ford tarus. Having too good of an amp and the rest of my equiptment no up to par. I feel that the Outlaw M200's monoblock's will fit the bill. I did get the top end speaker of the last generation Northridge speaker mainly bassed on reviews in Audioreview. 60 some odd reaviews and still above a 4.5. Getting an Odesesy Stato or Adcom 5500 or equivilant wouldn't match my system. My system isn't all that great, sony 300 disc>HK 3375 stereo receiver> JBL ND310II> Dual infinity Subwoofers. with the outlaw amps. I will have just over 2.2Kwatts of dynamic power from good equiptment for my budget. So I guess the Next thing is a better source.

9. Rich Wenzel

10. Rich Wenzel

oh, one other thing,

I think outlaws pre/pro and 7xx model amps are very good... i have no opinion on the monoblocks..but for my money, i would spend the extra $100 and get the adcom bstock at jeffsoundvalues.com
    Adcom GFA-5500 B Stk 1200 695

thats just me...

Rich

11. Joshua_P

Joshua_P Auditioning

but wouldn't the adcom seem to not match the rest of my system, or am I just not giving my system enought credit, maybe I just need reasurance that I have good equiptment, I paided just over $1832 for everything.

HK 3375, sony 300 dics, HK CD recoreder CDR26, 2 infinity entra subs, JBL ND310II. Acoustic research interconnects, and monster power strip. Its a modest system. Would putting an Adcom amp in my system seem like an insult to Adcom?

12. Rich Wenzel

I wouldnt think of it as an insult...

I would say its the best deal for your dolloar...and when and if you decide to upgrade, you will have a very good amp for it...

some people say you cant have x with y (for example, Revel Studios and a top of the line receiver, cause the revels "deserve" a separeate amp), but I dont buy it...mind you I would take a $300 receiver and hook it up to a pair of Wilson Grand Slams, but then again, I can't afford the wilsons.

what you do is subject to constraints:

your tastes
    your room
    your money
    your time
    and lots of other things...

I think the adcom is a better deal than the outlaw, i could be wrong, and I am 100% sure that you could find lots of people to disagree with me...Some would say a b-stock halo would be better, or a slightly used rotel 1080, or what not. And I would probably go for the slightly used rotel myself if I could find one...

The deicision is yours, and I would not like to force you into something you wouldnt like...I just don't want you to make the decision based on not wanting to "insult" your amp.

I think its a good idea to come down from your $1200 for an amp, unless you were thinking of spending more money later on speakers and stuff. Save your money up for what will impact your sound the most. I think the adcom or the outlaws will do a fine job with anything that you get and i wouldnt worry about it...heck, i dont have a separate amp, yet. [​IMG]

Rich

13. Joshua_P

Joshua_P Auditioning

Adcom amp was the actaully first power amp that I actually saw with my own eyes. I was really impressed with they way they looked and even more so the way they sounded. So smooth and pleasing to the ears. But I also like my system to reach ACDC concert levels from time to time and still sound clear. I know my speakers can take the power and I would like to push them to their limits time to time and stil keep the amp from clipping, but I guess I am going to hold of with buying anything right now. I haven't even heard my speakers hooked up to my HK yet with the dual powered subs. so I think its wise I hold of till I make a decision. But its a tose between the Outlaw and Adcom. I am defintially going to keep the 5500 in mind. I really do like that amp alot actaully, I just traditionaly thought it was out of my price range, but as you have told me, its not. so that is another route I can take. Man, I almost think my decision to get married is easier then this.

14. Rich Wenzel

ac/dc concert levels...as for having gone to several of their concerts...dotn do that too often...damage your hearing...

as for the decision to hold off...wise decison...

as for comparing it to getting married...dont let your wife know that [​IMG]

Rich

15. Rich Wenzel

or if she does find out...just say, the decision to marry you was the easiest of my life or something...

just in case...

rich

16. Joshua_P

Joshua_P Auditioning

thanks alot Rich, it is a very tough decision. I just need time to think about it, i'm only 18, so I got lots of time.

17. Rich Wenzel

at 18, you should save your money [​IMG]

V

18. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

I've got a perfect compromise. How about you pick up a Yamaha power amp from eBAY for ~$200-300. I've been using Yamaha amps for a long time and have compared them to Rotel, Adcom, Parasound, etc and to this day would take an older Yammie power amp over the previous mentioned. I've got the M-70 mated with my H/K 510 and love the combo on my JBL S-38's and Adire HE12.1's. They also look VERY sharp.

Here is an example of the M-70. You should also keep your eye out for the following models: M-50, M-60, M-65, M-70, M-80, M-85.

Should save you some money and I'll bet you'd never upgrade to another amp in the near future.
    Just a thought- [​IMG]

19. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

For $1200.00 i'd look into a B&K Ref200.2 (200 watts x 2)amplifier. I own one and really like it.. nuetral sweet sounding, smooth amp.. Think i might've got it out the door for somewhere around $1100.00 actually. It is a quality amp, built extremely well IMO Check your local Tweeter [​IMG]