Any speakers w/o metal tweeters

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Garrett V, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Garrett V

Garrett V Agent

I started a previous thread about speakers and ear pain and it receved some good responses. WayneO mentioned the idea of metal tweeters as a cause of pain which I have heard before. However, are there any speakers made these days that do not have some sort of metal tweeter??

2. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

There are all kinds of speakers out there that use soft dome or ribbon tweeters.

3. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

Dynaudio, Cambridge Soundworks, Rocket, Audio Concepts, Sapphire Audio, M&K, Atlantic Technology, Sonus Faber, Vienna Acoustics, off the top of my head.

That said, metal dome tweeters do NOT equate to ear pain. This is urban legend. Poorly designed speakers with excessive high frequencies played too loudly lead to ear pain.

4. BrianWH

BrianWH Agent

Its all in how the metal "ringing" effect is handled. Many factors at play here.

As a good example, Boston Acoustics uses both metal and soft dome tweeters in different product lines, but they use a damping type of device on their metal (aluminum) tweeter that controls the ringing effects.

It is also an issue of taste. Some like the sound of a good titanium tweeter, and some prefer the softer sound of a silk dome.

Brian

5. Tony Genovese

I have heard titanium tweeters that are softer than silk domes. Again, it is the implementation not the material that will determine the ultimate sound. Smooth as silk? Not always.

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I've yet to hear them then.

Polk has silk dome tweeters. I know that the speakers I plan to purchase(Phase Tech Velocity) uses soft dome tweeters. They have a 10yr warranty too!

7. Tony Genovese

Give a listen to the NHT metal dome tweeters (in the Evolution series). Very accurate sound that is sweeter than many silk domes I've heard. Driver material has less to do with the final sound than implementation, which is key.