Any Sony KP-57WS520 owners?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dave H, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

If you are an owner of this set, may I shoot you an e-mail? I discovered a possible flaw on my set and I am trying to determine if it's on my set or all KP-57WS520 models. Thank you.

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

DaveH, why not post the problem here as oppose to emailing just owners. You can get the answer you are looking for probably sooner and it may be some helpful info for other Sony t.v owners like myself. I have the 51 inch model KP51WS520.

3. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Here is my problem.

I am seeing very faint grey waves that dance on the screen. They are only visible on black backgrounds or dark scenes.

I suspect the average person wouldn't notice them. However, I view movies in a dark room and have a properly calibrated display -- and being the videophile I am -- I clearly see them as have the techs. Through process of elimination, I am 100% certain my TV and nothing else is causing this. The question is now whether it's inherent to the TV (part of the design), or whether my set has a flaw. I am being told by Sony and a couple of Sony authorized techs that this may be inherent or part of the design of this particular model.

Here is what I would like 520 owners to take a look at. In a dark room (say at night), display a black background on your screen. This can be done on one of the input modes ---Video 5, 6, or 7 which nothing playing, for example. Or, you can use the Avia grey ramp pattern at 20 IRE. Again, you want a steady black backround.

Give yourself several minutes and look at the screen. Do you see any kind of noise -- particularly wave patterns on the screen? Again, if you try this, give your eyes several minutes to look for them. They may vary in intensity, as well. Also, it seems the set needs to have been warmed up for a little while.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can try this for me. I would like to know if it's just my TV, or on all of these models.

Thanks.

4. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Someone on another forum who has the exact same model as mine also reports seeing these waves.

Jerome or anyone else, if you can check yours, I would be curious....even if you have the 46" or 51".

Again, if you do this, just be sure to view the screen in the dark and stare for several minutes at the screen as the pattern will be more obvious.

5. Jerome Grate

I'll try it tonight as soon as the kids are put to bed. Is the room completely dark or do you have a back light behind the t.v.? I'll try both ways.

6. Jerome Grate

Okay, just finished looking at the t.v. and I see no grey waves on the t.v. I use the skip function to eliminate those extra inputs, and I changed video 2 from skip to video 2 again. I went through all the video inputs I have something connected to it. Video 1 satellite from the JVC 7600, video 2 not connected to anything, video 5 the DVB 318. Leaving the two players off, the screen is black and for all three videos input I saw no grey waves. Now the t.v. displays the label video if nothing is connected, so I can't get rid of that but even moving down towards the far opposite end of the t.v. I still see no grey waves. This was under dark conditions no light and then with my backlight behind the t.v. Sorry couldn't help here. I calibrated my T.V. with the standard VE, so it's pretty close to levels as directed by the DVD.

7. Dave H

Dave H Producer

If you notice video 5 through video 7 is a bit brighter than the other video inputs. No waves from video 5 through 7 either? Hmmmmn. I have no backlight behind the TV.

Thanks for checking.

8. Marvin Richardson

Marvin Richardson Supporting Actor

I tried as well, and I didn't see anything. I guess its either limited to certain units or I just have bad eyes. [​IMG]

9. Jerome Grate

What are using to view standard t.v., cable or satellite? Do you have all your connections going through standard power connections or going through one of those surge protection outlets? My brother in law has cable for his t.v. and internet access and he's got these serious waves going through his t.v. when we watch a DVD on his RCA 55 inch t.v. It's so prominent on a blue and black screen it's annoying. How do you have everything hooked up? I have one of those Monster Power Centers where I can connect all components as well as satellite coax connection through it and out to the t.v. and again no waves.

10. Dave H

Dave H Producer

The waves are seen whether or not cable is hooked up.

I am using the Monster Surge Power Conditioner - Stage 2, but the waves are still there whether or not I use it.

I even hooked up my TV (by itself) to a battery back AVR system, so that is was being powered indpendently from my home. However, they still appear.

Some have said that it's possible interference signals coming from somewhere (radio tower, etc.), however, there is nothing else like that around me, and I don't see this problem with my other two TV's.

I've had two repairs techs out, they have no clue what they are and suggest that it's part of the tv and normal for the set. The last guy out said he will check the same set if they get one in the shop, but who knows when that will happen.

I guess it's time I call and bitch at Sony again. They will probably just refer me to a third shop, but I'm guessing I will just get the same answer. It's frustrating and I would be very surprised if this is within spec and normal. But, someone on another forum sees them on his set as well, so who knows?!. Grrrr....

Does anyone know of an excellent TV (Sony authorized) repairman in the Detroit, MI area?

11. Jerome Grate

Do you live in an apartment or private house? The reason I ask is because the culprit could be wiring through out the house or apartment. In the apartment well..., you are pretty much stuck if the problem lies with the wiring throughout the apartment and you can't really get at. In a home, it can anything like a telephone wire, or believe it or not the wire from a thermostat can create distortion. If you had any other RPTV before the Sony and didn't have this problem, then I'd say it's the Sony and contact them and ask for an exchange based on this on going problem. But, if this was problem with other sets, then it's clearly something that emitting some type of frequency that's interfering with the t.v. Did you check the grey scale, well hope this helps a little bit more. Are you experience any hum or feedback from the sound system? That could also tell the tale.

12. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I live in a new home -- built last year. However, even when the TV is connected to a battery source -- not conected to home -- they still appear. I only own a cell phone -- not direct landline. I've had an ISF calibration --- greyscale is in great shape.

My previous RPTV was a Sony --- never showed these waves.

Also, I experience no hum or any other problem with my equip.

Also, the waves are more prevalent on dark blue backgrounds versus black -- though they are still available there too, but to a lesser degree.

13. Pete T C

Pete T C Second Unit

I just got one of these and I am getting faint dancing grey interference bars (they actually rotate around in a circle at startup, starting moving from right to left from the right side of the screen, and rotating clockwise until they are in the upper left and then moving from upper left to center. The set also has what looks like some faint snow or mosquito noise even on an input with no hookup.

edit: after using the set for 30mins or so (it was just delivered) these seem to have gone away or been much reduced. will keep you updated.

edit2: Nope its there. I seem to be having the same problem as Dave. The screen also has a large scratch on it, so I am returning the set to CC. If the next set has the same problem I guess I will go with a different model. If it does, I assume it is due to poor shielding inside the TV.