1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Any Sony DVD players that play mp3 discs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike S., Nov 5, 2001.

1. Mike S.

Mike S. Auditioning

Title says it all.
    I'm ready to replace my Toshiba 2108 because it doesn't play mp3 disks, doesn't play DVD-R's, or CDR's, and won't play Emperor's New Groove!
    My receiver is a Sony ES, so I really want a DVD player so I can take advantage of the remote control from my receiver.
    To make a short story long (sorry), are there any Sony DVD players that play mp3 disks?
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, Sony does not make any DVD players that play MP3-encoded CDs. Sony has shown little support for the MP3 format because they developed the proprietary portable solid-state Memory Stick format to compete with it. Memory Stick uses a form of ATRAC compression that is similar to that used for minidiscs. I am not aware that Sony has marketed their ATRAC compression for CD compilations. That's probably because they want to continue promoting minidisc. Anyway, the only Sony products that I am aware of that play MP3-encoded CDs are car CD head units. Perhaps some of their portable CD players do too.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime