Any SoCal SVS owners out there? Also Tom/Ron question. . .

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Tubbiola, Dec 30, 2001.

1. Tom Tubbiola

Tom Tubbiola Stunt Coordinator

I'm seriously considering buying either one or two SVS subs. I'll probably start with one ultra and the S1000 amp (leaves room for a 2nd). Although the 2039CS+ looks very interesting.

I really hate to buy anything without hearing it first.

So, if anyone in the Orange County/LA area would be willing to give a demo, I'll bring the beer and buy the pizza. I'm in Huntington Beach but have no problem driving a little.

**Tom/Ron question:

Would the S1000 be too much amplifier for a pair of the new 2039+ subs?

Thanks,

Tom

2. SteveBjr

SteveBjr Stunt Coordinator

I believe the S1000 is recommended for the CS+ models. I don't think you need to worry about having too much amp as long as you have it calibrated right you'll be fine. Having too much is always better than not having enough. I'm sure the S700 could run a pair of CS+ but i'd go with the S1000.

3. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Tom,
    As you can see from this page: http://www.svsubwoofers.com/svscsplus.htm and as Steve confirmed, the S-1000 is actually the recommended amp for these subs. They can simply take so much more power than the (still excellent) standard CS subs that we hate to see them mated with much less.
    It will be some time before you can hear them in California however since they aren't shipping yet. I know there are lots of folks with CS and PC subs in CA though.
    How big is your room, and how loud do you watch movies? Each will have a bit effect on the decision of single or dual subs, and even what sort would be best for you. Any budget issues will be key too. Finally, I'm sure you know that there is really only one place where listening to a sub (or any speaker for that matter) can help make THE decision. And that's your home. Put the same speaker in another room and setup and room issues can make it sound wholly different. Shipping to CA isn't very expensive, so we hope you take us up on our 45 day trial period as the ultimate demo.
    Ron

4. Tom Tubbiola

Thanks for the quick reply Ron.

My living room is about 15' x 15' with an average ceiling height of 15 feet (slopes from 18' to 8'). The left side is completely open to the pool table room, kitchen and upstairs. The total cubic footage is somewhere around 8 or 9,000 cuft.

I guess you could label me as a "reference level +" listener. I like it loud and clean.

Would one sub be enough to kick my ass?

Thanks,

Tom

5. Neil N

Neil N Stunt Coordinator

Tom,

I know you're talking about the cs+ and ultra lines here, but since I know you've at least given a little thought to the plain old cs line, I'll give you my experience with a single 20-39cs. My room is 12x17 with an 8 foot ceiling, and I've bottomed the sub a few times when running full reference to just over, with the sub about +3 or 4 above that. (Toy Story 2 opening, Phantom Menace THX intro) Granted, I'm fine 99%+ of the time, but just guessing by the size of your room, the open wall, and the fact that you like to run it loud, I can at least say that, IMO, you'd want more than one regular cs sub.

As for the CS+, this was Tom's response when I asked if a single 20-39CS+ would be about equal to two 20-39cs's:

"Yes, in clean output capabilities...a single 20-39CS+ will have approx 2x the output down low. When you consider the whole operating bandwidth of the subs(20-100hz)...the 20-39CS+ will have about a 3-4dB advantage(avg)."

Hopefully this helps in some way.

Neil

6. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Tom,

As Neil pretty much related, if you want knock-your-socks-off, Dolby Digial reference level bass, to below 20Hz you are going to want twin subs. That's a large room and effectively open to the rest of the house. A worst case scenario from a bass standpoint. You need massive bass energy to overcome that. I'd even opt for the greater 20Hz energy of the 20-39CS-Plus in this case and forsake the lowest bass of the 16-46CS-Plus to eek out the last few dBs of more realistic HT bass frequencies.

Certainly one CS-Plus would provide very very good bass. Nonetheless, (and Tom V. may calculate this more closely... if he can tear himself from CS-Plus enclosure production) I'm sure twin subs would be critical to approach reference levels. Especially if you consider the fact twin subs will be a full 20% off it'd be headroom insurance I think you'll want.

Given the depth of the discounts we won't be able to extend it to folks that decide afterwards they want twin subs. This will be, as they say, a one time deal.

We'd love to sugar-coat things and say one sub will be all you need but physics, like gravity, can be tough to overcome.

Ron

7. Tom Tubbiola

Thanks Neil and Ron.

I was pretty much set on twin subs but just wanted a little reinforcement. :)

I just found out that I may be moving soon so I'll probably miss the discounts with my order since I may need my extra money for that. :-(

8. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Tom,

For some reason I was thinking you had an older SVS. The discounts are only for SVS "frequent buyers" anyway, so you aren't missing out on anything.

Moving can take a bite out of you financially, we'll be ready when you are.

Ron

9. Ted Robinson

Ted Robinson Extra

You can come and hear it at my house, just a short trip up the road. I dont have the best setup, but the sub speaks for itself. you can email me if you want to set up a [email protected]