Any sign of Sholin Soccer?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jon Mercer, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Jon Mercer

Jon Mercer Second Unit

Anyone know when this is coming out??

2. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

It is scheduled for theatrical release in the US on March 26th. I believe it has undertaken the Miramax chopping block though. [​IMG]

I ordered the DVD from Hong Kong back in September. $11 and some change, unedited, and some very funny subtitles. [​IMG]

3. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

Is this dvd Region 0? If so, ill buy it. I hope Mirimax doesn't edit this title down. I hate it when they do that.

4. Jeff Swearingen

Jeff Swearingen Second Unit

Jeff
    Do you mean Shaolin Soccer?

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

They're re-releasing it?

6. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    The R3 Korean disc is true anamorphic, while the R0 HK is fake anamorphic.

Jeff

7. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

There are several DVD's of this movie. The Japanese and Dutch versions have two versions. The original with NO ENGLISH Subtitles and the Miramax cut and English dubbed version.

There are rumblings that the version shown in the US will be yet a different cut. Supposedly, it will be in it's original language but still cut. Talk about stupid! Why not uncut with subtitles and an uncut dub for those who can't read or don't like subtitles? Did they do this to appease fans? Fans of what?

I know somebody who sat down and listed every single cut between the two versions and it will post on the http://alliance.hellninjacommando.net/ site but I don't know when.

The rating keeps changing on this movie so I am assuming that Miramx keeps making different cuts. I think it when from PG 13 to PG and then back to PG 13 again.

Either way, I don't expect a region 1 uncut version with English subtitles. If there is, I will streak through Time's Square with Miramax painted on my back.

Matt

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

It never got a release, did it? It got advertised a few times, trailers were shown, but it never actually made it out except for "previews" by Miramax, did it?

At this point, I don't know why any fan wouldn't have picked up the cheap legal Region 0 disk from the likes of DDDHouse.

Really funny film.

9. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chris

10. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

It hasn't had a major US release yet. The early date is only 10 cities or so, art house style, with (hopefully) a wider release after that.

Chris

11. WillKTaylor

WillKTaylor Stunt Coordinator

Picked up a copy of the region 0 Universe Laser single disk "release" last week at a local shop, with DTS and anamorphic presentation. Interesting, but wacky film to say the least. The CGI effects were comical, if not just downright over the top ... but what the heck, it's martial arts and ... *cough* soccer *cough*. Anyway, interesting sprucing up. Enjoyable film though for what it's worth.

Anyway, picked it up for $15. Send a PM if interested in some info.

BTW: if anyone out there has the same version of this title, by description, would you be able to comment on the following?

My Integra DPC5.1 had difficulty handling the menu. I had to click menu on the controller to actually play the DVD. Also, there was heaving pixelation during the federal "Do Not Copy" nonsense, which was forced at the beginning of the movie. Fast forwarding did not even work for this. Otherwise, once I actually did arrive at the showing, I had no problems.

12. Sam E. Torres

Sam E. Torres Second Unit

okay, so if it's region 0, do i need a region free player to play it?

13. WillKTaylor

No. Region 0 can be played with any DVD player. The next thing to worry about is broadcasting standard, whether it be NTSC or Pal or otherwise. If your NTSC, then this disk can be played.

Otherwise, you'd need a region free player to play disks other than reg 0 or the region you're currently in.

14. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

I have the R0, great movie! Finally introduced to the genius of Stephen Chow. Have since picked up the excellent God of Cookery.

15. WillKTaylor

Chris .. have you had any problems with this version in relation to the equipment presented on .. as mentioned above in my last post? If not, what kind of gear you using?

I've obviously picked up the wrong player a couple of years back .. considering my friend's $100 panny plays any and all disks that I've had problems with, better than my Integra, which *gulp* costed far more. Considering your collection in mind, I'm assuming you don't by all reg 0 or 1 disks, so what do you play them on?

Soon enough I will be picking up a region free player, either one of the Malatas or Jaton because of their x/y scaling capabilities, but I'm not quite sure as of yet. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

16. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

Will -
    You may want to try returning the dvd for a replacement. I know in the past there was a bad batch of them but that one had a problem with the layer change.

For multi-region players, the one I have is the Malata 520. I really like it. I have heard that the Jaton's have a very cheap design but some swear by them. There is a site that really pumps up the Jaton's but it's because they sell them. I don't recall the site right now. For a pretty fair list of players, check out www.hkflix.com. If you see one you like, you can always price around.

One word of caution. As far as Malata's go, the 520 is the last one that does scaling.

Matt

17. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

I have had no problems so far with any of my disks, and I only have 3 other region disks: R3 Dark Water and Battle Royale II, R2 Drive.
    Those 5 I have coming from DDDhouse Inever checked what regions they were... I suspect they are all R0.

Believe it or not, I don't have a home theater. I primarily watch my disks on a Hitachi DVD-ROM in an IBM pc with a 17" monitor.... :b [​IMG]