What's new

Any side by side comparisons of Madden 2003 and NFL 2k3 yet? (1 Viewer)

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
I am torn.. cant decide on madden or 2k3.. blockbuster does not have either one yet.. Ah... the travesty of life :)
jim

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
Me too.

I know what all the gamimg mag/site people say but what do the HTFers think?

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I posted this in another thread....

First off, I am biased as I only own 2K3. However, I asked a local guy at EB (whom I trust) when I picked up my game, the exact same question. He felt the gameplay was very similar with both titles so much so that differences were hard to distinguish. However, where he thought 2K3 bested Madden was on the "extra" stuff. Franchise mode, commentary, player animations, detail type stuff. He said the commentary in Madden was too repetitive, but his quote on 2K3 was this..."I can leave this game on demo mode here in the store all day long and barely hear the same thing spoken twice. It almost looks like I am watching a real football game. I'm partial to the Sega Sports line over EA for these reasons."

Take that with a grain of salt.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I have this year's Madden and last year's 2K2. The presentation in that game beats out Madden this year as far as the in-game elements Evan mentioned.

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
I have 2k3 and its awesome so far. I'm losing like crazy and I really enjoy it. Why you might ask? Because its not like losing in madden where its the computer cheating in the 4th breaking multiple tackles and hitting huge plays. THe only time i've seen huge plays in this game is when they call a play and i call the worst defense for that play. ie. all blitz against a hb go pattern. He just tossed it over the middle and they had 40 yrds. all the drives I've seen so far are very realistic as far as being 12-18 plays for longer drives with 3-5 minutes taken. Basicly if you play solid D you won't give up more than 1-2 big plays a game. Which is very realistic in my opinion.

You can also match up defensive players so I can have sam madison defending randy moss every down. Stuff like that. The running game is very realistic and you do have to play this as football. Most of the negative reviews I've seen on maddenmana(fanboy central) have to do with the game being hard(they don't want to take the time to learn something besides madden).

I've played madden since '93 bought it every year from my genesis to my super nintendo to my psx to ps2 and now xbox. This year I went with 2k3 mainly because madden didn't support xbox live and thats like a slap in the face. Not only do they give us thinly veiled ports that don't take advantage of the xbox but then they don't allow us to go online with it either.

I may still pick up madden later on to give it a try as I still like the series. But so far I'm amazed at how well 2k3 is done. Just expect to put some time into it. I would suggest no matter what your ego says to start on rookie. Figure that out and then move up the difficulty unless you want to go 1-5 like I am right now. If anyone has any questions just ask.

Mike

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Yeah, thanks Mike again. I am really torn myself between these two titles. I have been playing Madden for so long, I only played the Sega version when I had my Dreamcast. I did buy Madden last night and played the heck out of it. I was very impressed with it. Gameplay is more realistic, running game is better and the passing has been fine tuned. There were not a ton of unralistic big plays either. That was until I switched to rookie mode. Then I was lighting up the scorboard like crazy. Rookie mode is too easy but pro mode is really hard. I guess it will take some practice. I will play this game over the weekend and see what I think. Whats nice about the store I bought it from is they have a 7 day return policy. If you do not like the game, you can return it within 7 days of the purchase for a full refund. That is just too cool! I do not buy any software or gaming accesories but from that store only.

Eric Bass

Second Unit
I haven't personally seen Madden 2003 but I bought 2002 when I got my PS2. Well I picked up 2K3 yesterday because after a few months of tearing hair out after watching the AI cheat in every 4th quarter, and not just on All Madden difficulty, I can't stand to play that game anymore. It's great 2-player, the physics and motion are better. When watching replays the slow motion is amazing, you can see exactly where the play went right or wrong. 2k3 is a little more arcade when it comes to motion, but only to the point where every now and then a player moves in a way that reminds you that it's not real..it doesn't affect gameplay from what I've seen. My opinion on the matter is that the Sega Sports game is just more fun to plan.

Maybe Madden 2003 fixed the AI, but it sounds like all EA sports games us rubber-band AI pretty blatantly. For me there was nothing quite a frustrating in the world as working my ass off to pull ahead in the 3rd only to watch the offense I had shut down for 2 consecutive quarters run all over me in the 4th, and that happened during EVERY game.

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
Cool thing about 2k3 is the sliders are very easy to adjust since they only affect the computer's playing. I've read a few reports of the madden comeback cheating still evident in the new version. A guy reported being up by 3 points and having the cpu run on third and 10 and break 4 tackles and get 35 yards. I just have nightmares about how much this happened on the higher difficulties. If you have a PS2 then madden is probably more than fine. asside from the higher difficulty settings. If you have xbox then 2k3 all the way for online play.

Mike

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I don't think I have played Madden 2003 enough to see whether or not the AI still cheats. Plus I am not that good,so most of the games are not that close. Either I am spanking the computer on rookie mode or the AI is spanking me on pro mode. I do have to say though, I thoroughly love this game. I can't stop playing it. I watched the first half of the Tennesse and Oakland game last night, then it was Madden until 12am. I think I am going to just keep this game. 2K3 looks very good as well and all the in depth franchise stuff looks pretty cool but that is really not that important to me. It seems way too time consuming to me. I have to have time for movies and other games I have. And you know, when NHL 2003 AND Nascar 2003 come out, I will be playing the heck out of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks