What's new

Any shot at Wild Kingdom? (1 Viewer)

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Jeffrey, it was hosted by Al Wallace, a great guy. Unfortunately, he passed away from kidney disease sometime back in the early 1980s. :frowning:

MattHR

Screenwriter
A wise man named Matt Hankinson said in the Candid Camera thread that "While I prefer season sets for almost all shows, 'Candid Camera' is a great example of a show where "best of" compilations are the only way to go." I would say that Wild Kingdom also qualifies, wouldn't you?
Agreed. But I hope I'm not so "wise" on my prediction as to the quality of these releases.
P.S: Dave, likewise for the "wisdom" compliment. :)

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
A wise man named Matt Hankinson said in the Candid Camera thread that "While I prefer season sets for almost all shows, 'Candid Camera' is a great example of a show where "best of" compilations are the only way to go." I would say that Wild Kingdom also qualifies, wouldn't you?
Absolutely! That's why my post was intended as a "hip hip hooray" cheer! My comment which you quoted was meant to help head-off the inevitable backlash from the "best-of"-haters who will only accept season sets. :)

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Anyone remember the episode where Marlin was almost killed by a giant boa constrictor? I remember that episode as kid. It was a great show that I watched almost every Sunday.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My wife just asked me about the chances of Wild Kingdom making it to DVD the other day.

Same story. She has great memories of Sunday night TV with the family.

I'd love to see these again, but it would HAVE to have all those commercial bits with ole Marlin hawking Mutual of Omaha. It just wouldn't be the same without them.
Agreed. Who doesn't remember some of those segues? Marlon: "Just like Jim was risking his life dealing with (fill in your favorite dangerous animal here), you need to protect yourself from life's daily risks...." Classic. A favorite Johnny Carson spoof, too.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
That was Jim who almost got it, not Marlin. He was in a foot of water and the Anaconda had the squeeze on him. Jim talked about that for YEARS afterwords.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah I doubt these will be remastered but hey for $10 bucks a pop it'll be great to relive my younger days. And the wife likes wild Life shows I just hope they don't edit in any new openings or anything Guess I'll wait for the reviews. Was'nt watching T a bit more special back in the day. Soon with all these older shows on DVD you'll be able to program some classic television nights.

Christopher D

Second Unit
Hey, just picked these up at a retailer for $10.99 apiece. Took a quick look at them and the quality is generally quite good. There are a decent number of scratches or flecks, but I don't think anyone expected these to be digitally cleaned up. Given the age of the source material, I think the sets will please everyone.

I only skipped through three episodes, but the nostalgia factor is off the charts -- I felt like I was back in my living room in 3rd grade.

SteveVM

Stunt Coordinator
Just an FYI

Wal-Mart is selling these as a single DVD release.

20 Epioseds both the cats and gorillas.

And it was only $14.44

Little better than $10.97 each

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
So, for those who've bought the WILD KINGDOM set(s), do the episodes include Marlon Perkins' pitches for Mutual of Omaha, and the Mutual of Omaha jingle? The fact that the DVD packaging presents the show as "Mutual of Omaha's WILD KINGDOM", rather than just "WILD KINGDOM", gives me some hope. As has been said, watching this particular series just wouldn't be the same without the frequent shilling for the show's sponsor.

Also, though all episodes in these sets would now qualify as "old", is there any indication as to when the bulk of them were made? Are they mostly from the late 1960s-mid 1970s, or are they primarily more recent episodes, from the 1980s? I'd be most interested in seeing the late 1960s-early 1970s episodes.

Strange that none of the usual DVD sites have posted a review yet, though their plates are usually pretty full, I guess.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
No actual commercials, but the references to Mutual of Omaha are still there in the title and such. So far, I've only picked up the "Africa" volume, and it has maybe two or three late-60s episodes, from what I could tell. Only had time to view a couple to date. Nice prints, and high nostalgia value!

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I am bumping this thread rather than starting a new one. I am counting 80 episodes that have been released on DVD from the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom series that began in 1963. It has been years since anything happened with this show, does anyone know if there are any more plans for this series on DVD, or is it pretty much done deal? Does anyone know of a complete episode guide online for the original series? Thanks.

slats7

Auditioning
Real Name
Brendan Slattery
Used to watch it every Sunday night right before The Six Million Dollar Man. In the words of Archie and Edith, those were the days.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
slats7 said:
Used to watch it every Sunday night right before The Six Million Dollar Man. In the words of Archie and Edith, those were the days.
I remember watching the show as well.

Here is a youtube link. RIP Marlin Perkins. I think he died in 1986 or just after the show went of the air.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I am trying to figure out how much of the show is now out on DVD and how much remains unreleased. I have been unable to find a complete episode guide online. I know it ran for several years, having watched it back in the 60's, so I would think 80 episodes would not even be close to half of the total number. I don't remember ever seeing this run in prime time like a regular series, so I don't know if they produced, what was then, the normal number of episodes or not.

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator
ChrisALM
Back in 2005-2006 when these were originally being released, I had figured out there should be a minimum of 312 episodes (minimum of 12 episodes a year for 26 years). If they continued to release them at 10 episodes on each set without duplication, then there should be at least 32 sets. And that doesn't include the new Animal Planet stuff.
As for how I got my figures:
Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom on imdb.com is supposed to run from 1963-1988 which I figure as 26 seasons although youtube.com has an episode (or more) for 25 seasons. (FYI, youtube lists 99 episodes for viewing - I've not viewed them so they could be incomplete)
On tv.com they have the first season (only) which has 12 episodes which I believe to be a minimum. Some - if not most - likely had more episodes and I doubt there was less but it could be possible.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by Bonnie*F
ChrisALM
Back in 2005-2006 when these were originally being released, I had figured out there should be a minimum of 312 episodes (minimum of 12 episodes a year for 26 years). If they continued to release them at 10 episodes on each set without duplication, then there should be at least 32 sets. And that doesn't include the new Animal Planet stuff.
As for how I got my figures:
Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom on imdb.com is supposed to run from 1963-1988 which I figure as 26 seasons although youtube.com has an episode (or more) for 25 seasons. (FYI, youtube lists 99 episodes for viewing - I've not viewed them so they could be incomplete)
On tv.com they have the first season (only) which has 12 episodes which I believe to be a minimum. Some - if not most - likely had more episodes and I doubt there was less but it could be possible.
That's the thing, there is no complete episode guide for the original series. Even on the Mutual of Omaha Wild Kingdom website, I could not find a listing for the episodes from the original series. The show ran a long time, so there should be a large number of episodes. If I had my wish, I would at least like to have all the episodes from the 1960's.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
There are various DVD's over at Amazon of the series for a little over $3!!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks