What's new

Any Sherwood Newcastle R-956 owners out there? (1 Viewer)

Lance Dahl

Agent
I am looking at this reciever as an entery level 1st reciever and was wondering can it do 5.1 sound in one room and out put stereo from a second source to another room? ( through an amp of course)at the same time? Thanks for the help. Lance

J

John Morris

Lance: I am using this receiver in my bedroom system and it is a very nice unit, especially for a first receiver. I am not currently using it in a second zone, but will check it out in the morning since my wife has already gone to bed. I hope to get back to you before noon tomorrow.

Joris R

Auditioning
I don't personally employ this function but the R-956 should be able to do this according to the manual.

The second room is not powered by the R-956 however, so you'll need a second amp.

It is however a great sounding receiver and a very good choice as long as you can get it at a good price.

It's also quite handsome in my opinion.

I would definitely recommend it.

Peter Galbavy

Auditioning
I have one, in the UK from Richer Sounds, and I am happy with it.

The only annoying thing is the remote I got - programmable for other devices, but cannot run the amp itself - the buttons for the video modes are there, but you have to press the VIDSEL button to cycle through the video modes.

J

John Morris

Okay. Yes, the R-956 does have a fully controllable Zone 2(Second room) output which is usable at the same time as the primary outputs. You can actually listen to a CD in your primary room while the tuner plays in room 2. However, the 5.1 direct inputs, such as those used for DVD-A or SACD, will not output from the Zone 2 stereo output but all other stereo input sources will. Also, what Peter describes is true and annoying... the audio selections such as phono, tuner and CD are directly accessable from the remote but the 5 available video selections are not. This possibly may be due to the fact that the unit allows you to customize each video input such as one that I have labeled as "PS2 Vid2". Still, this unit is a very clean sounding unit and has ample power for most speaker systems (I'm driving 6/4 ohm Energy Speakers). I bought mine for less than $500 and at that price this is an incredible steal!

Lance Dahl

Agent
Thanks for the replies this is what I was looking for, I can get one new for just over $400.00 but I would like it to out put cd or the tuner to my upstairs speakers while outputting 5.1 downstairs. The amp is not a factor because my two speakers upstairs are Mackie studio monitors. The new HR624 THX certified powered Speakers. These sound really nice---I wish I could afford a whole set for 5.1 sound, maby in a couple years. (www.Mackie.com)
Thanks again for the help.
Lance ;)

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
I'm also a Newcastle R-956 owner and really like it. There are a couple of annoyances for me though. First is the remote. It didn't control my other devices with all the functions. It got so annoying I replaced it with the OFA Cinema 7. I managed to program most of the necessary receiver functions and the Cinema 7 controls my DVD, CD, Mini-disc, TV and VCR flawlessly.

Another annoyance is the DTS mode. I don't know if anyone else has noticed but the subwoofer output is about 10db too low. It's fine in DD but I have to turn up the sub volume when watching DTS movies. I emailed the Sherwood people and they confirmed the sub out is definitely 10db too low in DTS. There is no LFE management which has been corrected on the new models. So I have to adjust the subwoofer output again when listening to other sources. I'm using Take 5 speakers so all the bass is directed to the sub. If you have large main speakers you may not notice the decreased bass as much.

Sound in Dolby Digital is great, DTS is awesome too once the adjustments are made. Two channel sound is very clear also. Receiver has plenty of inputs and outputs, digital inputs plus component video ins and outs. It's a very clean and well made receiver.

The DSP modes are pretty much worthless.

It's a good buy if you can get it for less than $500

J

John Morris

Lance: you are very welcome. Good Luck!

Greg: Wow! Good catch on the DTS. I use this receiver in my bedroom and just keep it on DD when playing back a movie so I never noticed this problem. Also, I usually like my sub low in that room... Maybe that is why the R-956 is such a bargain?

Peter Galbavy

Auditioning
Greg, you must have better luck with Sherwood in the US, since in Europe their offices are in Germany, and the two times I called (about my problems with the remote etc.) I got a very abrupt sounding guy who could not have tried to put the phone down fater than if I were cold calling to sell him life insurance. I guess the European office is just a logistics centre.

Anyone know an e-mail address at Sherwood that actually gets a reasonable response to sensible questions ?

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
Jeff Hipps was also the one I contacted via email. He was very professional and gave a quick response.

I used the DTS on the Eagles Hell freezes over DVD and a couple of action movies which made the LFE problem very noticeable.

If you only use DD or have large main speakers I highly recommend this receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks