Any serious board gamers here?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by John Gates, Jan 7, 2004.

1. John Gates

John Gates Second Unit

Hi all,

I've been into (non-computer) strategy board games for a long time. What are your (non-computer) favorites? I'm looking to buy some new games soon, and I'd like to know what you think is good.

Here are some of my favorites:

Star Fleet Battles (Converted to Starfleet Command video game). This was an excellent tactical boardgame based on Star Trek ship to ship combat. Was best before the "fighter" supplements. Took a long time to play but was strategy gamer bliss in its day. Currently out of print.

Rail Baron (link: http://kumquat.com/cgi-kumquat/funagain/01067). Excellent rail game. Those who don't like the cut-throat-ness of Monopoly usually like this game.

Robo Rally (link: http://kumquat.com/cgi-kumquat/funagain/01099). This was an outstanding spatial race game where you program your robot with 5 movement "registers" and then race through a factory filled with conveyors, obstacles, and competing robots. Don't try this while drunk. [​IMG] Out of print and going for huge sums on e-bay. Too bad. This was an extremely entertaining game with broad appeal.

Settlers of Catan (link: http://kumquat.com/cgi-kumquat/funagain/01167) Just got this game for Christmas and have played several times. Great game where you compete with others to develop your towns and commerce structures the fastest. Both older kids and adults enjoy. Highly recommended.

Risk A classic, but not all that entertaining anymore after hundreds of plays.

Just bought but not-yet-played:

Twilight Imperium (link: http://kumquat.com/cgi-kumquat/funagain/11267) Similar to Masters of Orion computer game. Epic strategy game with the goal of becoming Galactic Emperor. Production tactics, military tactics, and political tactics should make this game a winner. You can even pass laws that affect what players can do.

San Marco (link: http://kumquat.com/cgi-kumquat/funagain/11068) This game looked interesting. Compete against other players to advance politically in ancient Venice.

On my list to check out:

Puerto Rico (Link: http://kumquat.com/cgi-kumquat/funagain/12491) This game looks like a good strategy trading game.

Apples 2 Apples (link: http://kumquat.com/cgi-kumquat/funagain/05166) This game is not my usual cup o tea, but it looks VERY fun. I'll buy this within the next month unless everyone here tells me it's stupid. [​IMG]

What (non-computer) board games do you like to play?

John G

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Chess and Scattergories are my two favorite board games.

3. Eman_Ramos

Eman_Ramos Stunt Coordinator

Apples 2 Apples! I love that game. Not much thinking involved, but really really fun.

4. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

I bought Settlers of Catan a few months ago, based on the advice in this thread, but haven't played it yet. Settlers seems to get rave reviews from just about everyone.

5. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

6. John Gates

John Gates Second Unit

Matt,

Thanks for linking that other thread. Good read! I played Blood Bowl about 18 years ago, and it was fun then. Maybe I'll have to look a copy up since my sons are now 14 and 12 and would probably really enjoy that one.

Settlers is well worth investing a bit of time and learning to play. I could explain the rules to you in 10 minutes verbally, and the strategies are reasonably simple (to start with) but can gain in complexity.

I'm hosting a strategy game fest at my house on Saturday, February 21 if anyone's near Birmingham, Alabama and interested. Come on down!

John

7. Graham Perks

Graham Perks Second Unit

Love 'em, not enough time to play them now, with baby. Can't wait until the kids are old enough to play with me :)

Settlers, Puerto Rico, Wyatt Earp, You're Bluffing (I think that's the name), some Carcasonne, Modern Art, ...!!

8. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Wiz-War was my favorite. It is a real hoot. Sort of like a cross between magig/gathering maze and d+d all in one. A light game with very strategic nuances.

Wiz War

There was an online version (that was played on a virtual board) on TEN. A few attempts to ressurect it have failed. The board games however is going strong.

Tom Jolly has been a gracious author if you note his comments on the websites message board.

9. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

My wife and I enjoy Settlers a lot. We just got the last expansion for Christmas (Cities & Knights). We also got Carcassarone. It's fantastic! Highly recommended.

10. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Oh god...Star Fleet Battles. If ever there was a board game with too many rules, that was it (this was back in the late 80s, early 90's). If you ever wanted to know if a person would later turn out to be a rule nazi, this was the game to introduce them too.

Gah.

11. John Gates

John Gates Second Unit

Yes, Max, you are right about that. When I played SFB in tournaments, I used to have to stay up most of the night before just to refresh my memory on the rules. There were literally hundreds of pages on everything from how ships moved to damage rules, rules for boarding parties, tractor beams, probe launches, and (of course) an insanely detailed order of events. Sometimes games were decided based on the most minute of rule details (does the Plasma Torp impact my ship on this impulse or the next if I'm being tractored by a friendly ship?). You had to decide which rules you'd remember and which ones you'd just look up if needed.

[​IMG] Even with the nasty rules, it was still an elegant game and a wonderful and complex strategic matchup between players.

I used to play the NeoTholian CA in tournaments pretty well because nobody ever practiced against that web launcher. [​IMG]

12. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

We have some big Cranium parties every now and then. Man are those ever fun, especially when drunk!

13. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

I'm a big fan of Axis & Allies. Surprised to hear no one mention it yet. It's a bit like risk, except more rules and playing options. Although, it does get repetitive and predictable after playing those 100 or so games of it. (That is when you play with the same people who use the same strategies).

Magic the Gathering is another strategy game I enjoy. Maybe not a board game, but similar.

Ever tried Scotland Yard? Excellent game.

Ace

14. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Matt, thanks for the link on Parcheesi. I love playing that game, it's one I grew up playing with my family. All I can find is that silly one with the animals as pieces, and I wanted a nice looking one. Now I know where to get it.

Everytime I go to visit my parents at Christmas, we play lots of Parcheesi, and me and my mom play a bunch of backgammon. I don't know why, but in my family we tend to prefer the games where you get to be mean to each other. Is that a problem?

I used to play Starfleet Battles in college. I never played it enough to get very good though, and there were lots of rules. I recall one time I had a Command Cruiser with four double-power photon torpedoes set to go, I launched all four when I had a pretty good chance to hit, and missed all four. I was hosed.

Monopoly has long been one of my favorites, that and Castle Risk me and my best friend growing up would play all the time.

Anyone play Talisman? Back in the early nineties my brother had it along with several of the add-ons, that was a lot of fun.

15. Keith Mickunas

I also have Fortress America, which I believe to be similar to Axis & Allies. The only thing is setup takes longer than any other game I've played, and that plus the first turn make up the majority of the game play. It's fun, but it really takes a lot of time and effort.

16. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Heck no. The reason my wife and I love parcheesi so much is because you can talk so much trash. Its a sign of affection, I swear!

17. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Some games I love (mostly strategy types):

Settlers of Catan (best game ever)
    Acquire (second best gmae ever)
    Axis & Allies (and new versions)
    Fortress America
    Samurai Swords (I think it used to be called Shogun)
    Buck Rogers (little lame but good sci-fi game)
    Dominoes (old school yes!)

18. Keith Mickunas

That's exactly the way it is in our family. We give each other a hard time, conspire against one another, betray each other, it's great. However because of this my brother's wife refuses to play any games with us. Oh well, her loss.

19. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Ah Magic: The Gathering...great card game. I love looking at the artwork. Good fun too, although around 1996 or so, the rules started to get complicated, bring out the rule nazi in everyone! "You can't do that! My artifact still produces the token despite your instant spell! You can't even stop it with an interrupt! Nyah nyah!"

Hmmm I'll have to try Settlers of Catan and Munchkin one day...

20. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

My wife and I talk trash to each other all the time. We have a lot of fun with it. We also don't pull any punches while playing games. It's not fun to let someone win, and they often don't appreciate it either.