Any scuba divers out there?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Reno, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

I don't think I've ever seen a post regarding diving. Any HTF'ers "go down"? (Let the perverted comments begin!) If so, what are some of your favorite locations, favorite dive sites, best dive operators?
    For dive operators my fave is Aldora Divers in Cozumel. Hands down the best operation I have been with. They go above and beyond!
    As for sites I would say Devils Throat (Coz), the walls off San Salvador (Bahamas) and Half Moon Caye (Belize).
    With the birth of our first child in October, my wife and I didn't get a chance to take a dive vacation this past winter. We are both looking forward to heading to the Turks and Caicos this fall!

2. Gary Hensley

Gary Hensley Stunt Coordinator

My brother is just starting his PADI certification and my girlfriend and I are both going to do the same later this year. Went diving while near Kona Hawaii and loved it. Can't wait to go again!

3. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I got my certification about 2 years ago, and the only place I've been diving is Panama City in FL. How sad is that...

...but I will be going to the Bahamas for my honeymoon next June and I will definitely be diving there. Now I just have to figure out a way to convince my fiance to get certified...

4. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

I've been certified for about 10 years now, but haven't actually done as much diving as I would like.

I've been to the Bahamas for a week of diving (great dive operation on Harbor Island called Valentine's), and then a few dives here and there on regular vacations (Maui, Kauai, Key Largo).

I love it and I can't even swim!! Thank goodness for fins and BC.

5. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Cayman islands are great. Forget our dive operators name, but there are so many. They'll take you out to a site (most are a 10 minute boat ride) and tour with you. Kind of like a personal excursion as me and my GF were the only divers with the guide.

Favorite was called "Trinity Caves". incredible 100 foot dive down steep incline and tunnel like coral caves. huge channel crabs, morays and large grouper abound. turtles too. unbelievalbe coral variety, color and life.

6. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

My wife and I were certified 2 years ago and did our open water checkout in Grand Cayman. Now we are spoiled and only like 100' viz and 80+ degree water [​IMG]
    Our Cayman pics are HERE if you are interested!

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I've never been cert, but I have gone SCUBA a few times. I keep meaning to get cert. However, I have been trained in the art by people who had been doing it for 20 years and had almost 10 of snorkling behind me

I've been diving since I was 8, which is closing in on 20 years in some form or another

8. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

I've been certified for about six years now and usually take a trip to Bonaire every year. (Probably won't this year due to spending my wad on the home theater instead.)

I've also been wanting to take a trip to Truk for some time and, if I can pull the funds together, may do so in November.

-greg

9. Peter Yee

Peter Yee Stunt Coordinator
    Supporter

Certified for 13 years now. I love it. I take my gear with me anytime my work-related travel takes me to a warm-water destination. I've got Maui and Floria (Ft. Lauderdale, Key West) dives in that way.
    Personal favorite is diving with Mike Severns Diving. Pauline (Mike's wife) gave the most comprehensive dive briefing I've ever had. ("At 60', you'll see this. Keep your eyes open for the fish with the injured tail, etc. etc.) Everything that was described happened. The best part was when the cleaner shrimp walked into my mouth and did a cleaning. An amazing experience. Rats. Now I'm regretting not having had an extra in Singapore a couple of months ago -- boat diving in Malaysia looked tantalizing.
    -Peter

10. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Yes!

I used to live in St Thomas and dove 3-5 days a week. Gawd, that was nice, too bad I decided to go back to school.

11. Erik_C

Erik_C Stunt Coordinator

Another vote for the Caymans, where coincidentally, I'll be next month. Best diving there is a shore dive, at Eden Rock. Swim 100 yards off shore and there's a huge network of caves and tunnels. Best part is it's not more than 50 feet deep. If you're good with your air, you can stay down for up to 1.5 hours per tank. It's not really deep enough to worry about getting narced. You've also gotta try the East end. It's a boat dive, and the seas are rougher, but the dive sites are incredible. Imagine being at 100 feet, inside a narrow V-shaped canyon with huge fish all around you, and pristone coral and bright orange sponges hanging off the walls. Way cool.
    -Erik

12. Peter Yee

Peter Yee Stunt Coordinator
    Supporter

Gregg, that's a terrible life you had. Forced to dive 3-5 days a week in warm water. Where do I sign up? [​IMG] Not that Monterey is bad (great biomass and hidden treasures, but brrrrrr).
    -Peter