Any scary stories to tell?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LDfan, Oct 16, 2002.

1. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Guess since Halloween is around the corner maybe we can start a thread about anything and everything spooky.
    Any strange ghost stories to tell about? How about any Ouija boards (do these things really work)? Witchcraft stories?
    I for one have never experienced any kind of paranormal things like ghosts but I've known several people including my father that have. A friend of mine a few years ago was so scared about witchcraft she wouldn't even talk much about it. Apparently some friends of her's dabbled in some stuff and whatever she witnessed from it still freaks her out to this day. Wish she would have elaborated on it but she refused.

Anyone have any spooky, scary, interesting stories?

Jeff

2. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

There was a period there used to be a story once in a while, but the skeptic brigade tends to jump on you if you dare tell them these days

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

You rang?
    That's because there be no "ghosts." And Ouija boards? Automatic motor response, aided and abetted by the player's preconceived notions. (Hint: Try asking the board a question that neither you nor your partner knows the answer to, but which can be later verified.)
    Consider this post a "preemptive strike." [​IMG]

4. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

My Mom, Sister, and Myself witnessed a UFO in the sky several years ago. That scared the living shit out of me!! We reported it and were told a few others had seen it as well. There never was an explanation for it. Ever since then I've had the jeebies for Aliens. Saw the movie "Signs" and almost filled my pants a few times [​IMG]

5. Louis Stettiner

Louis Stettiner Stunt Coordinator

I HAD TO WATCH A MOVIE IN PAN AND SCAN. ON A VCR WITH NO SURROUND SOUND ON A 19 INCH SET
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHH

OK I'M GOING TO MY CAVE......................SLIDE

MUCH BETTER NOW

I AM JACKS ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO

6. Jack Briggs

Trust me, Louis truly has seen something scary. Be afraid—very afraid.

7. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Well my father has witnessed UFO's on two different occasions. The first was back in the late 60's while in the army. It wasn't just him but his entire engineering group while they were stationed near West Point NY saw the group of 3 objects. He described them as flying in formation at very high speed, stopping suddenly then changing direction then repeating it almost in a zig zag pattern and then they were gone. Also they made no sound what-so-ever.

Any Bigfoot stories to tell anyone?

Jeff

8. Jack Briggs

Before I call in assistance from RobertR, Julie, and Max, I will point out that someone here posted a very amusing story about a "haunted" balloon. This was about two years or so ago. And I believe the gentleman who posted this funny story said the alleged event occurred in a small inn somewhere either in New England or Canada.

If, sir, you are reading this, please repost that story. It was funny, and I believe you in that it occurred. Of course, we may have different views as to what caused the balloon to, well, take to you.

Meanwhile, Robert, Julie, Max, please take over here. The slow response time at HTF today means I can't spend much time on individual threads. Thank you.

9. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

10. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

11. Jack Briggs

Ever hear about the story of DIVX?

12. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

This is not paranormal or scary, but in the same genre and compartment of my stored memories where I slot personal experiences I have been privileged to experience such as staying up all night to watch a once in a hundred years evening of meteorite showers.
    My Father-in-Law, a retired Career Flight Engineer for American, and my husband, (a pilot- largest craft flown DC-3) and I where standing in my front yard one night which is oriented to the Northwest.
    We saw a ‘chain of lights’ in the sky. My FIL saw it first behind my husband and mine backs, and pointed, we all turned and watched till they ‘winked’out. I saw it as a chain of bright dots on a curved line, the curve approximating a human eyebrow. Either my Husband or FIL said later they saw it as a chain of lights on a straight line. My husband and his father conversed in general terms till they proceeded to a bottom line conclusion between the two of them, - that absolutely nothing in Aviation or any anomaly of which they were currently aware of could have made the ‘chain’. It was not scary, it was interesting, with some further speech surrounding the possibility of the military testing something, but neither men could think of what object/objects could create this particular show which was closet to the effect of a very large immobile and stationary string of tracers. They also were confused by what they thought its apparent altitude and distance relative to our position would be.

We are in the DFW area in Texas; about 2 weeks later my FIL called us and asked if we had seen the trickle of press on the Arizona ‘lights’. We all agreed the night we saw ‘our’ lights we felt had been the evening of the incident reported over AZ. My FIW cut articles pertaining to AZ out and brought them to us and we talked about this curiosity a little more.
    My FIL has viewed during many years in aviation, - all kinds of aircraft at various distance/altitude and bizarre weather related phenomena, frequent St Elmos Fire over the front fuselage and windscreen in the old days, and twice ‘balled lighting’. One incident occurring many years ago in a DC-? Causing the stewardess to faint when it tracked straight down the interior aisle of his aircraft.

It gave the 3 of us a new appreciation for people who ‘see’ unexplained phenomena, whose accounts in the past we had read with a certain amount of skeptical humor. We have no ‘theory’ between us on what we saw, only a hope that someday our little mystery moment might have its origins revealed just to satisfy the curiosity aroused by its appearance before us.

13. Jack Briggs

The so-called "Arizona Lights" turned out to be flares dropped from a C-130 troop transport. The Army was conducting feasibilty studies on using airborne flares for illuminating the ground during troop maneuvers.

The flying saucer people, of course, rejected the prosaic explanation, preferring instead to believe (note the word "believe") We Were Being Visited. Yet even the "believers" noted how the individual lights changed position with respect to one another, thus putting the kibosh on them being attached to a fixed, solid object.

"Believing" always clouds the flying saucer enthusiasts' judgment.

14. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

This isn't scary but weird. On Halloween night back in '95 some friends of mine were using a Ouji board. I don't believe in this crap myself, but for fun I told them to ask it the first and last letters of my future wife's name (I was single at the time). They came up with 'B' and 'Y'. Less than a year later I met a woman named Michelle...Berry. Coincidence? Who knows.

15. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Thanks Jack,

I'll pass that that to the guys, we don't follow the regular news except in fits and starts, I never saw that explanation and know the FIL would have mentioned if he had run into it.

Our best 'theory' was something of military origins, we just could not imagine 'what'?

We were in TX. I wonder if they did similar testing near here the same week, (we could not pin the night we saw positively, my FIL had been by a couple of nights in a row that week, only that it was that week).

I can't imagine the candela or watts expenditure at that altitude and distance necessary and possible that we could have seen something released over AZ.

Now....tell me did you hear anything on the 'bird as big as a plane', I know I heard a radio station blurb in the car yesterday. Pilot sighting with passengers to back him up, (I believe in Alaska). I laughed when I heard the shades of Jurassic Park, 'scientists are skeptical'. I hate it when I hear only parts of these interesting moments in news, (more relaxing and titillating than the lists of the prior nights violence) yet never the 'rest of the story'.

16. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Alright,
    I suddenly had a memory, and it was probably akin to the scare witches, goblins, all-hallows eve and things that go bump in the night genre movies can get to you - the single scariest (of that type) moment of my life.
    I was single and had moved to the coveted 'aerie' in the house that had been my elder sibling's till she vacated for college. A single bedroom upstairs next to the playroom separate and remote to all other BR's in the house. It had windows all round surrounded by giant pecans, thus a tree-house otherworldly effect.
    I was reading, Red Dragon, at my age, the scariest book I had ever read to date as it seemed unusually 'logical' and feasible in the books layout of how the Dragon gained egress to the inner workings and private moments of a family, - engendering enough fodder to keep his obsession at pitch surrounding his fixation.
    My cat, Kish, who had an unusual bond to me was curled on my bed. I'm reading at approx 2-3am in the quiet house, when suddenly his head snaps up, and he creeps to the end of the bed, jumping to the floor. He proceeds in a straight line to several feet in front of the closed bedroom door, whereupon every hair on his body puffs out and he arches hissing and growling in the most classic of a Halloween Cat silhouette. I start furiously whispering for him to 'cut it out', He ALWAYS/ALWAYS came to me when I called, (we were weirdly connected this cat and I, he would sit in my lap and stare into my eyes for longer than I have ever seen any other feline physical capable of.) Yet I did not have any effect trying to get him to cease and desist staring with the most intense glare I had ever seen him exhibit, nor able to get him to turn his head away from his focus on the door. (By the way to make it worse his head was angled staring at a spot on the door which would approximate him looking at the level of a standing humans face on the other side)He must have continued this way for approx 2 minutes till he succeeded in raising every hair on the back of my neck!!!
    I was known for being brave in moments of danger and aggressive when action was called for, but there was no way in .... I was going to open that door to see what might be on the other side. It set me off, so badly, (and I was never a hysterical female type) that I KNEW there was something BAD on the other side of that door and I imagined I even thought I 'felt' a moment when the 'danger' passed on and dissipated. When Kish relaxed it took me 2 hrs to get over the fright he had stirred up in me.
    He NEVER did anything like it in the history of his entire 16 years, and he had to pick 'Red Dragon' night for this never exhibited, before or after, intense display of fear and rage.

17. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Yeah, the nerve of those mean skeptics who demand evidence before they believe!

18. Jack Briggs

Mary: The cat most likely smelled another cat, probably a tom who sprayed somewhere nearby. Believe me, that gets a cat really riled up (that territorial thing). My beloved Attila, a complete tomcat himself, practically transforms his personality in Jeykll/Hyde style when another tom sprays and he can smell it. Arches up, hair puffs out (his wiry colorpoint tail becomes almost Persian fluffy). I doubt a "ghost" upset your cat. But, speaking for myself, if I suspected someone was entering my house I wouldn't just sit there. JB

19. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

20. RonR

RonR Stunt Coordinator

I came home one night and my mother-in-law was sitting in the living room.