Any runners out there? re:shin splints

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Karl_Luph, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Just thought I'd see if any of the members here are runners & have had problems with shin splints. I usually run about 3 miles a day and have noticed a pain in my lower right leg that runs along the front inside of my calf just above the ankle up to the middle of the calf. It seems the pain is more noticeable along the side of the bone. It doesn't hurt until I have run for about a mile ,then progressively just keeps getting gradually worse. Haven't gotten to the point where I have to just quit running, but I'm tired of this holding me back, as the rest of my body wants to continue going to the 5 mile mark. I have been using a pair of Asics gel 1070 shoes for the past 5 months and bought some Reebok DMX 6 shoes to try out,but haven't seen any improvement. I stretch before I run and walk at least a half mile before running to warmup.Would cortisone injections help, at least to get me through Summer training? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I've struggled with them for years. The only remedy that has made any appreciable difference is that I completely avoid running on sidewalks, which are incredibly hard surfaces. I now do much more trail running and track running. Of course, not all trails are soft (some are as hard as concrete) so you have to choose carefully.

Overall, I'd say that you should vary the surface you run on, and avoid always training on harder surfaces.

Also, don't underestimate the power of a good sock. Thorlo's are my favorite. Make sure you retire them young, and have a fresh pair handy at all times.

Finally, allowing your body to heal between workouts is key. I always give myself a full day between runs.

3. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I would second that. Unless you are actively training up to run a race, always try to have a one on/off schedule. You can pick up another activity in that day off (or walk your route instead of run it), but give your body some time to repair. Running is one of the toughest things you can do to your body long term (and one of the most beneficial IMHO), listen to what your body tells you.

I usually lift weights or walk with family on days off, usually I don't have any injuries (go about 3 miles when I run.)

4. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Don't take shin splints to lightly, and that sure sounds like what you have. I run every other day, and have been suffering all summer. I just bought a new pair of running shoes. Everything I have read said the main two reasons of shin splits are poor shoe design and support and poor running technique. Make sure that you are running with the correct technique. Shin splints can lead to fractures so be carefull! And Good Luck.

Brandon

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    For running shoes, id stick with Asics or New Balance...
    Reebok doesnt have a great history with running shoes (but the ones in their new PREMIER LINE have been gettin good feedback, not the DMX ones)

6. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Thanks for the input guys! Looks like I'm going to have to cut back to every other day. I usually run Monday thru Friday, and by Friday I'm hurting ,lol! NickSo, my reeboks are of the Premier line, just an older model I think. Anybody ever used these silicone heel inserts in their shoes? Not the foam whole shoe inserts. Tried the foam whole shoe inserts last year when I had this problem and it seems like it made it worse. Anyone have any experience with the new Adidas line that just recently came out? They are supposed to be offering a new design in cushioning also. I'm ready for some really good running shoes.

7. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Actually, even marathon training schedules only run you four days a week (plus a fifth day of cross-training).

Jon

8. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

Aren't there bands that you can wrap just below your knee to help with the shin splints? I think I've seen them in my local running shop, but they might be for something else.

It seems like it might work. Kind of like the things people use for tennis elbow.