What's new

Any runners here? (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
As part of an ongoing effort to attain some measure of physical fitness, I've been running four days a week for the past seven months. This morning, I ran my longest run ever - six miles. And it felt great.

Anyone here run regularly? Anyone consider or attempt or complete a marathon?

Jon

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i run regularly, i always try and tell myself i am going to run a marathon within the next few years, but i dont think i have enough time to train for it. when the weather starts getting warmer, i will prob run a few miles a day, 7 days a week. i'm hoping to get up to 50 miles a week by the end of the summer, but who knows if that will happen.

CJ

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I run every other day at the local high school track. I know must people don't like track running but I actually prefer it to running on the streets.

It's seems to be easier on my legs and I don't have to worry about anything else but running.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
most people hate running on a treadmill, but i prefer it. i believe the only downfall is that you dont get the wind to help cool you down.

CJ

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I used to run 10 miles 3 times a week until a severe knee sprain last year sidelined me. I haven't ran since and have put on about 20 pounds. I need to motivate myself to start back. :angry:

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I run around an indoor track; I prefer not dealing with weather, uneven pavement, motor vehicles, and rabid dogs. I make sure I have a large selection of tunes in my MP3 player, and I'm good to go.

As for treadmills, they're OK, so long as you realize that a mile on the treadmill does not equate to a mile on the track, energy burning-wise.

On a related note, the CDC just released an opinion that stretching prior to physical activity does not reduce the likelihood of injury: LINK

Jon

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I've been running three days a week and weight lifting three days a week but may seriously consider running five-six days a week. I really want to drop the rest of this bodyfat and then I'll concentrate on bulking.

Luckily I've shown some decent progress this week! If I can keep up this rate of fatloss I'll be able to reach my goal by the end of June. Whoo-hoo!!

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
it is, but when you are in a health club that is not all that cool to begin with, blowing warm air around doesnt to much in terms of cooling you. plus, unless you are the owner of this club, i wouldnt expect to be able to place a fan where i need it. now, if i had a treadmill in my home, you better believe i would be pretty strategic about placing these fans :)

CJ

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
I ran for about ten years, both privately and competitively (I was a mid-pack racer). My kness and hips have since given out, and I've not run a step in three or four years, and man, do I miss it.

I ran the Canadian International Marathon here in Toronto in 1996. It is surely among the very best things I've done. I heartily recommend a marathon to anyone prepared to devote the time required to the training. Here's a pic snapped about fifty feet before the finish line. A really great feeling!
Best of luck to all you runners, and don't stop training! Cheers.

DS.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I used to run a lot in high school on the track team but stopped during university and never really picked it up again until this spring. A co-worker has been running the full marathon for a few years and I decided it was time to get back into it so I talked to several other's in my department and we're all going to do the half this summer. So far the training has been going ok but as a former sprinter/middle distance runner these long runs are killing me:b

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I run regularly, and compete in a dozen or so 5/10Ks each year. I have never had the intestinal fortitude to undergo the (serious) training for a marathon or half-marathon.

I suggest you try a few 5Ks and a few 10Ks. To "train" for one of these, I usually do a combination of treadmill and long/short road running--3 or 4 days a week (and remember, days off are important)--for several weeks prior to each race, with lighter running in between.

And, let me also suggest trail running. This is my favorite type of running; much gentler on your body that running on the road or sidewalk, and probably not much worse than a good track (depending upon the terrain).

And don't forget your iPod...

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Gentler? Maybe on railtrails. I've done some trail running here on the east coast and the trails in NJ are rocky, but I know that from mountain biking. Need good shoes and nimble feet. Hope it's not wet too like many trails now that it's spring and the snow is melting.

Jay

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Not all trails are gentler than the road. I was thinking of man-made greenways and similar trails lined with mulch and other materials. Even some naturals trails are better than the sidewalk, however, which in my experience is the worst thing to run on.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Not all trails are gentler than the road. I was thinking of man-made greenways and similar trails lined with mulch and other materials. Even some naturals trails are better than the sidewalk, however, which in my experience is the worst thing to run on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks