What's new

Any Roller Coaster Freaks?? (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
What's your favorite place on the coaster and why?
The front definitely. Riding the Titan in front and back was an entirely different experience. Batman was fun at the front(friends told me that the back is bleh and to avoid it so we did). Mr freeze(OTOH) didn't matter and mainly because you went backwards thru the same route. The initial takeoff is a rush. Batman is my favorite of them all and well worth the time I waited in order to ride in the front.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
always said:
Not really. I think the Iron Wolf is one of the smoothest coasters I've ever been on. It was designed by Bolliger & Mabillard (also designed the original Batman: The Ride) which is considered by many to be the premier coaster design company today.
I'm heading to Las Vegas in a few weeks. Looking forward to riding Speed and the Manhattan Express, which I've been told really knocks you around. :D

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
I love roller coasters. I've been to the following parks:

Six Flags Great America (like 8 times)
Cedar Point (twice)
King's Island
Six Flags Magic Mountain
Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom
Indiana Beach (7-8 times)

The best rides I've ever been on are:

The Beast at King's Island
The Millenium Force at cedar Point
The Magnum XL-200 at Cedar Point
Goliath at Magic Mountain
Hoosier Hurricane

Shawn C

Screenwriter

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Micheal*K, Manhattan Express is pretty cool, and yes you do get knocked around quite a bit. Granted, I didn't like paying the dollars to ride it, but it was worth it nonetheless.
Speed actually scared me for some odd reason. Half the time I was thinking I was going to die. I don't know why. It's smooth as silk.
Have fun in Vegas!!!
Let me add Son of Beast as one of my favorites. Granted it'll take time to achieve status classic, nonetheless it is awesome to feel and behold.
I still think the greatest thing to ride is The Beast at night. It's not pitch dark per se, but unless you have night vision, you really can't see where you're going.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Cedar Point only shuts the coasters down in lightning/thunder, I believe. I've ridden in downpours before.
When you sit in the front, the train is already halfway down the hill before the fun even starts.
Interesting point, Dome; I'd never thought of it this way.
I still prefer the front seat, though. I love "leaning into" that first big hill, feeling like I'm the only one taking the ride.
The rear seats, my experience, knock you around too much. I'm not a knockaround guy. :D
Jon

Steve Clark

Second Unit
The Millenium Force at Cedar Point is the real deal. The raw speed, which never lets up the whole ride, is what separates this ride from others such as the Magnum. This ride is the 2nd tallest and 2nd fastest in the world.

On a tangent, I refuse to go to Cedar Point during the weekend. I only go during the middle of the week. Why pay the steep admission price so that you can go stand in line for hours?

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Steve, the Milennium Force is the 4th tallest and 4th fastest coaster in the world.
According to an unnamed source, Cedar Point is constructing a new ride - code-named The Dragster - that is >400 feet high and zips along at 107 mph; this would make it the world's leader in both categories.
Jon

KyleS

Screenwriter
I tried replying to this thread yesterday and had it all typed up and then when I hit submit the board was down :angry:
I am a rollercoaster freak and have ridden quite a few in parks all over the world. IMO the best park so far has been and still is Six Flags Magic Mountain it has so many coasters and almost all of them are good unlike Cedar Point which had a handful and the rest Including Magnum were extremely rough. Its like they havnt unpdated or put time into maintenance on them since they were built. Millennium Force was awesome as was the Mantis but other then that the coasters were not that good. The second best park I have been to would have to be Universal Escape and the Islands of Adventure in Florida. Very cool and it didnt hurt that the rides were all in great shape (probably because they were all built at the same time and are all still new).
My best rides are...
1) X Xtreme at Six Flags Magic Mountain CA(What a rush)
2) Millenium Force Cedar Point Sandusky OH
3) Hulk Islands of Adventure Universal FL
4) Goliath Six Flags Magic Mountain CA
5) Speed the ride Las Vegas NV BABY
As to the best place on the coaster to sit....
If there isnt a lot of people in the park the front since you have a completely unblocked view and if you are on rides like Batman, Dueling Dragons, DeJavu, etc its a must since there is nothing like having absolutely nothing in front or below your feet. If there are a ton of people at the park then my second choice is the very back of the coaster. Better speed and you get wipped around the corners/loops.
I dont know if anyone else around here does this but 5 buddies and our families take a trip each year to at least 1 coaster park together and its so much fun. We just got back from Magic Mountain last month and had a blast. I count my self as being fortunate to have ridden 3 of the top 4 tallest and fastest coasters in the world. Guess that I will have to travel to Japen to ride the parks there. :D
KyleS

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
you mean before and after? i thought coasters shut down during rainfall...or is it just during thunder/lightning storms?
Six Flags over Texas has a bunch of wooden coasters - they were all kept open in the rain we got on Saturday evening. I believe the more modern ones were closed.

Most were reopened when the showers stopped (which helped reduce the lines - woohoo!).

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Saturday, I went to Knott's Berry Farm. The last time I was there was back in the mid-80's. They've add a few new rides, but the highlight of the day and worth the price of admission alone, Xcelerator.
From a dead stop this coaster launches you out of the station and in 2.3 seconds you are at 82 mph and heading straight up at a 90 degree angle. During the assention, the vehicle rotates to the outside of the track and over the top at 205' and then back down at another 90.
Standing there, in the station watching this thing go was incredible. My anxiety level was off the chart. What an awesome experience.
http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/...&postid=207585

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Top Thrill Dragster is a lot like that...except higher and faster. 120 MPH. Saw the most beautiful sunset up at the top.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Still haven't had a chance to make it to CP since they put TTD in-maybe this fall? For the money though, MF is probably the best steel coaster I've ever riden. Still, there are many many more left to try. Did the Florida parks last summer, and there are a couple winners there. Islands of Adventure has the Hulk coaster (a nice launch coaster) and the Dueling Dragons (worst queue area EVER) which are both great.

Actually, IoA's best attraction was the spider-man ride. Really one of the most original rides I've ever been on.

Hoping to do a bunch of the California parks at some point too, since there's a disproportianate number of coasters out there...

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I have been to:
Cedar Point twice - Favorite is Millenium Force

Six Flags Darien Lake - once

Six Flags Great America - almost every years since I was probably like 6 or 7....missed a few hear and there but at least 20 times...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks