Any Rocket owners here to compare with Vandersteen 2ce signatures? (speaker advice)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marcus Lewis, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Marcus Lewis

Marcus Lewis Stunt Coordinator

I currently have Klipsch Reference series 3 speakers and matching components. Receiver is a Rotel RSX-965 (75 watts RMS per channel, dual SVS 16-46 CS+ subs with ART EQ)

I had Ascends and was happier with the sound quality but not the quantity (spl capabilities) the Klipsch were chosen specifically to keep up with my SPL requirements.

The Klipsch "almost" have the effortless SPL capabilities I was looking for, but lack ... refinement? They are brutally revealing of poor recordings and exhibit sibliance and even some harshness at my preferred listening levels.

I like my music loud (about 105 dbs at the listening position) I prefer a forward sound ... Metal tweeters are definitely my preference.

I really like the sound of the Vandersteen 2ce signatures owned by my old man (mids and highs) but the punchiness and SPL aren't quite there ...

Will the Rockets with the right amount of power (recommendations?) give me the Vandersteen mids/highs, the Klipsch or better SPL levels and that punchy sound I'm looking for?

P.S. I'm in Trinidad in the Caribbean so no audioenvy visits for me. Thanks in advance.

2. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Check out the Ref1 in So Cal thread at avsforum. They did a shootout that included the Vandy's, Rocket 750, Onix Ref 1, and Diva 2.1s.

3. Marcus Lewis

Marcus Lewis Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, will do ... any other recommendations?

What are the SPL capabilities of the Paradigm Studio 20's?