Any "RF" converters out for the SONY DA4ES?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSP, Jan 23, 2003.

1. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Just got my new entertainment center and now I have to keep my 4ES at an angle because otherwise the remote eye goes behind the door.
    I need an RF remote or something and I could not come up with anything on the Sony website. So what are my options? Is there any aftermarket remote that can do the trick? Please help!

2. Andy_SB

Andy_SB Agent

You could look into an IR extender, a device that converts IR signals to RF and back again (Radio Shack carries a model for around $50, I think). Also, there are some aftermarket remotes that have RF capabilities (I know that One-For-All makes one).

Try browsing the forums at www.remotecentral.com, there is usually a lot of good info over there.

- Andy

3. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

Careful with cabinets that have doors... make sure that there is adequate airflow. My 4ES runs barely warm. A receiver should never get hot under normal conditions, and allowing it to run hot will greatly shorten its life.

The 4ES has IR input/outputs on the back. You can use an IR extender with these. I have those pyramid type ones (available from x10, radio shack and other places), and they have an output jack. Just plug a mono 1/8" cable from the IR extender receiver's output to the 4ES' input. You can also plug IR blasters into the 4ES' outputs to put in front of other components if necessary (if they are also blocked).

Put the IR extender transmitter somewhere accessible, like on top of the cabinet or something. You can also buy another transmitter to put in another room, so you can control the receiver from there (I do that).

4. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Thanks a lot Aaron and Andy. I will be visiting Radio shack today. Also, will this IR extender work with my existing RC-2000MKII remote or do I have to buy a new remote too?

5. Andy_SB

Andy_SB Agent

6. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Thanks again Andy but one last question and this may be a dumb question but is "Infrared Extender" able to convert signals to "RF" from only one remote ? i.e. can I use more than one remote with this extender or do I ned to buy additional extenders for more equipment?