What's new

Any Reviews Yet - ROCK 'N' ROLL HIGH SCHOOL? (1 Viewer)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Thanks.

Well yes, except for that part about it setting a standard to aspire to. A new non-anamorphic release at the end of 2005?

May just be me, but I don't believe they created an anamorphic transfer. And forgot to use it, or mis-encoded, etc. Show me!

But then, there may be something just plain WRONG with viewing this Corman flick in enhanced WS...

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
What the heck does "not encoded correctly" mean? Is all the "anamorphic info" there, or is it not? If it's not, then how is it just "not encoded correctly"? Sounds to me more like the "wrong" transfer was used, nothing to do with encoding. If it was the encoding I should be able to adjust manually, shouldn't I? What do you think?
I have not seen the disc, so I cannot say if a new transfer was done or not. However, when a disc is authored, one needs to specify in the authoring software if the asset is 4:3 or 16:9. If a 16:9 asset is used and the setting is left as 4:3, the final disc will not make use of the anamorphic enhancement and there is nothing you can do on the user end to fix that.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Thanks Felix. I must admit I haven't much clue about authoring software, but know there are "flags" etc. put on the disc that indicate certain things. I just haven't heard of "this one" before.

I thought it might be like when you don't set your display for auto-zoom mode, so you have to do it manually for non-anamorphic WS material. I thought if it was anamorphic but just not flagged for it, we could do it ourselves. Or something like that...

So, you're saying if there really was an anamorphic source, but the authoring software was not told to encode it as anamorphic when authoring the disc, the software would not put the "anamorphic data" on the master. I think.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I've made the mistake of not identifying an asset as 16:9, so I know this oversight first hand. Causes different types of funkiness. Most hardware players will see the disc as only 4:3 letterboxed. Some software players will see a squeezed image that does not outstretch itself.

I have no idea if this is what happened for R&RHS. But based on that response from Buena Vista in post #19, it's a possibility.

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
Anyone know if a Region 2 version will be out eventually? For some bizarre reason the BV Vista editions never seem to come out over here (or are massively delayed). I have the original CD-packaged (Lumivision?) release, but would upgrade for 16:9. Obviously I'll have to wait for confirmation that this new release has been corrected, but if an R2 is in the works, I'd be surprised if they messed that up as 4:3 TVs seem to be in the minority here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks