What's new

Any reviews yet on Basic Instinct and Total Recall special editions? (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I disagree. Having a pretty darn good home theater I can usually see the same problems DVDfile's reviewers are talking about.
I think you really have to make your own determination as to the credence you give "picky" reviews.
When I used to own a 32" TV with Sony DVD soft downconversion, I couldn't see a damn thing that these reviewers were nitpicking about. It looked pretty darned okay to me!
But now I've moved up to an RP91 and a PT-47 TV (not the most expensive rig, less than $2.5K total for these two) and now I can totally see ringing, hues, EE, softness, etc. I can now tell a good transfer from a bad one, whereas with the EXACT SAME DISCS I couldn't tell the difference on my old set up.
So if your equipment doesn't let you see the flaws that the Bits or DVD File point out, then feel free to ignore them. But if you have a setup that lets you see those flaws all too clearly, then you'll want to pay attention.
YMMV.

Why No DTS track? Artisan did one last year for Ultimate
T2. In this day and age, how can you advertise a special
edition without including a DTS track?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I strongly agree with Carlo.
When I used to watch DVDs on a 25" and 27" TV, I saw very little in the way of problems.
Now that I have a 61", I see every little flaw. It enlarges the picture so much - like a magnifying glass - you see everythin differently.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Well-put, Carlo. I have your "old" set-up (32" Sony, Sony 550 DVD player) and can't see those artifacts at all for the life of me. Hell, even "Tremors" looks great! But when I went to a friends' place to watch stuff on his 16x9 screen, I was amazed at the disparity of image, even on newer stuff like "Open Your Eyes," which looks smooth and silky on my set-up and grainy on his.
And I finally got to see why people get bent out of shape with non-anamorphic transfers and zooming on 16x9 TVs-- "Flash Gordon" was literally unwatchable (it's a bad transfer too).

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
Agree with Carlo.
As for DTS, indeed, Anchor Bay or other studios remaster inferior or less "praised" movies with dts or dolby ex or whatever and these two REALLY seem to be the same releases with just a new packaging, that in one case is frankly ( personal opionion ) ridicule.
The dvd market is a strange market.......
You will see guys, even Columbia and their Superbit dvds might well become more popular than many here forecast. Their way (while not going the maximum way such as SEVEN SE or DIE HARD or THE ROCK ) is a good fair balance, with food for everyone ( the video hungers and to some extent the audio hungers ). TOTAL RECALL and BASIC INSTINCT both should have been treated in a similar way.
But, some could argue it's a question of budget and ARTISAN ain't no COLUMBIA or FOX...

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
quote:
As always, dvdfile gives a shitty picky review.
[/quote]
I got the perfect site for you.
Try this:
www.dvdreview.com
You will not be disappointed.
------------------
-Dwayne
"And vidi films I would."
[Edited last by Dwayne on August 31, 2001 at 10:23 PM]

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
David,
If it is a matter of budget for Artisan, why would they spend money on the new packaging, extras, etc.? I assume the costs for all of this was, at least, somewhat expensive. Why let what really counts suffer - such as the transfer? But maybe they feel they will sell more copies by selling the extras and cosmetics.
[Edited last by Dave H on September 01, 2001 at 12:25 AM]

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I don't mean to be an A-hole or insult or stir trouble. I apologize.
frown.gif

Perhaps i don't notice such minor technical stuff because my setup is not top notch. I am watching my movies on a 27" RCA set with S-Video. (My audio is top notch though.)
Apology if there are dvdfile reviewers on this board. I still read the reviews. I also read a FEW dvdreview.com reviews, some which are pretty good (Men In Black DTS debate over picture quality, and Carrie SE, in which other reviews say it has an identical picture, and it doesn't)
But the only reviews I read aplenty, are dvdfile.com reviews. :)
But, I love being the judge of my own discs, and determine if they really have flaws. I kind of have my own fans at another forum, and I myself used to be a reviewer. (Still am sometimes)
But once again, I want to apologize because I love having civilized and mature discussions, without the trolling, and harsh words, etc. :)
-Antonio

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
sometimes I am baffled how DVFile gives glowing reviews to some pretty shoddy sounding and looking discs.
go figure.
new EX/ES owner - like the first time all over again. grin.
am checking cover alternatives to the above.
------------------
Yumbo - IMDVD

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
And DVD File weighs in with their view on Total Recall:
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...ecall_sle.html
The review basically echoes DVD Town's review...good audio/video but the supplements seem to be a bit of a letdown.
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)
[Edited last by Kevin Leonard on September 04, 2001 at 12:59 AM]

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Oh man! Why the good reviews for TOTAL RECALL. I was gonna try to save some money and pass on this one but now it looks like I won't be able to!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks