Any reviews or thoughts about A Man Apart?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeff Adams, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I have done searches and have came up with nothing on this new dvd that just came out 09/02. Is this movie hated that much? I don't get it. I saw this at the theatre and enjoyed it very much. I think it is one of Vin Diesels better films. Anyway, I did purchase the dvd on Tuesday and watched it a day later. And you already know what I think about the film itself. Great movie. Vin plays a very convincing role and shows that he can act and play a dramatic role. Larenz Tate and Timothy Olyphant also did a very good job.
    Now to give my thoughts on the quality of the dvd itself. I could definately tell that New Line did not think that a lot of people would be buying or renting this movie because it just plain sucks. The picture is very grainy and dark. It also looks unnatural and digital. There is also edge enhancement evident in this transfer.
    The audio is not that much better. Dialogue was unclear at times and hard to understand. There was a sloppy over cooked bass track that would play througout the movie and was very distracting. In paticular there is this one scene in the middle of the movie
    where Vin Diesel is meeting in a parking lot to do a drug deal and a big shootout takes place.
    I can remember watching this at the theatre and thinking to myself how good this was going to sound on my home theatre. The shootout was overshadowed by that loud over cooked bass note. You could barely hear the gunfire and there was no defination or impact to the shots fired. Why do directors think that every gunfight needs some kind of music playing during it. Still to this date the best most realistic and intense shootout I have ever seen is the one in Heat. There was no music during that scene and I felt like Robert De Niro was standing in my living room firing that gun.
    This dvd's extras were very minimal. There were some New Line peviews a trailer and some deleted scenes. One thing that I wanted to point out, although the extras were minimal there was one deleted scene that any guy would drool about. There was an extended dance scene with Rachel Sterling,who plays Assia. All I have to say is WOW! It had me drooling and happy.
    Anyway here are my ratings.
    Movie [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Video [​IMG] [​IMG] 1/2 out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Audio [​IMG] [​IMG] 1/2 out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Extras [​IMG] [​IMG] 1/2 out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I like the movie a lot, the dvd is well under the quality which should be expected these days.

2. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

I'm glad I didn't buy this movie. I saw it in theaters, and I was bored to tears. I didn't care for any of the characters except for the wife, and once she died
    there was no point in watching it anymore. However, I did sit through the entire thing, and I hated it.

I'm extremely shocked that Newline would release such a sub-par DVD. Maybe the grain is SUPPOSED to be there? I'm a DVD reviewer and am working on my own website, and I *NEVER* would take off any points for grain, because grain is inherent to film. Plus, I love the look of grain. However, if it has artifacts, and other distractions, then I will definitely take points off.

3. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

Have you seen 'Way of the Gun'? If not, and you are a shootout fan, you'll love it. As good as or better than anything out there.

4. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

I thought the sound was good.
    picture was subpar to start and then got better.