Any reviews on the Battle of The Planets DVDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Travale, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I just saw these at the local Great Canadian Superstore. The thing is they are $21.99 for each two episode disc and without knowing just how good they are, this seems a bit much. So, has anyone seen these andare they worth it?

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Each disc has 5 half-hour episodes as follows:
    • 2 episodes of "Battle of the Planets" with an available stereo remix and so-so video quality
    • The 2 "Gatchaman" episodes from which the "Battle of the Planets" episodes were derived with better video quality and a Japanese mono track with English subtitles
    • A single "G-Force" episode corresponding to one of the BotP/Gatchaman episodes on one of the discs with OK video quality and multiple language options.
    For the record: The shows originated in Japan as "Gatchaman". In the late 70s, they were re-edited severely and dubbed into English with the premise & plots changed, the violence cut down, and the 7-zark-7 footage added to make the "Battle of the Planets" series. Around 1986, Turner took another stab at dubbing them in English, stuck a little closer to the Japanses storyline, gave the characters embarassingly corny names, did many fewer episodes than the BotP folks, and called it "G-Force".
    Regards,

3. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Thanks Ken, I guess I didn't read it well enough. So, would you suggest purchasing them?

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

5. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Thank you. As an avid fan of the series(when I was 11) I will at least pick up the first disc. I have never seen the original Japanese version so I guess that I will see whether I like those or not. Then we'll se from there if I will be picking the others up. Thanks again.