Any reviews of Yamaha RX-V1400/2400?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike Pollmann, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Mike Pollmann

Mike Pollmann Stunt Coordinator

I'm going to be buying a new receiver before the end of the year, and was curious if there are any reviews of the new Yamahas? I've been looking at lots of receiver specs lately, and the Yamaha looks appealing due to it having a large number of inputs and the YPAO.

Up until recently, I had been planning on going with a Pioneer Elite 53TX. That was, until I realized it was very lacking in the input department. My other choice has been the Denon 2803/3803, which is input-heaven, but lacks any sort of automatic optimization. The Yamaha seems to be a nice meeting of the two things I'd like to get. The only problem is that I have very limited experience with Yamaha gear. As per usual, nowhere local even carries these two receviers.

So.. any comments and/or links to reviews would be great.

(Incidentally, my requirements for the receiver: 5.1 setup with Paradigm Monitor 5s, CC350, Mini-Monitors, PS-1000. I need 6 A/V inputs including 4 digital.)

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Richard_B

Richard_B Stunt Coordinator

The 2400 is still very new, reviews will be hard to find at this point. The feedback on the new 2400 and 1400 has been very good though.

3. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Mike,

I am also considering Denon 2803 or Yamaha 1400. Do you have a personal favorite between the two brands at this point?

4. Mike Pollmann

Marty-

Not yet. I've been able to play around with the 2803 and like it quite a bit. As far as the Yamaha goes, I don't know anything more than the specs and pictures I've seen on the Yamaha site. That's why I was hoping to find a review. [​IMG]

- Mike

5. bjarni_b

bjarni_b Auditioning

I recently purchased the Yamaha 1400 and I love it. I bought it primarily for the YPAO feature as well as the Componenent video upconversion. Both features are fantastic as far as I am concerned. Some people find the Yamaha's to be "bright", but I do not feel that the 1400 is overly "bright" -- my speakers are fairly neutral and sound great with the Yamaha. The sound is dynamic and detailed. I am very pleased with the Yamaha (this is a subjective opinion!). It is unfortunate that you do not have a local dealer since the best way to choose is to listen for yourself.

-bjarni

6. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

If I can add something into the mix for you, the Denons are very nice as well as Harman/Kardon. Look at the Harman/Kardon AVR-325 or the AVR-525. They both suite exactly what you need, and HK just realeased there new line-up so the prices on these recievers are cheap! Go ahead and check them out, you won't regret listening to it. They are great recievers, lots of features, TONS of power, nice looks, and alot of extras.

[​IMG]

7. Mike Pollmann

Unfortunately, the H/Ks don't have enough A/V inputs for what I'm looking for. That's why I hadn't considered them.

8. ChrisLazarko

Umm how many are you looking for? My HK has like 7 inputs.. more than enough for anyone I know.

9. Mike Pollmann

Looking at the back panel photo of the HK 330 on their website, it appears to have 4 AV inputs: DVD, Vid1, Vid2, Vid3. I need 6 video capable inputs (mostly because of game systems). I want to be able to switch: DVD, DTivo, VCR, Gamecube, Xbox, PS2.

10. ChrisLazarko

Hmm, that is a tough one I have to admit. But I think there is a way to fix it. Let use the 4 inputes provided with the HK reciever for say.

1st on to the DVD player, that would go to component of course.

2nd one would be the TiVo, so lets plug that sucker into the Vid1.

3rd would be the VCR, so that goes into Vid2.

Now we have your 3 gaming system. Your Tivo, and your VCR should accept one system each. So lets say you take the PS2 and hook it up to the TiVo, and take the Gamecube and put it to the VCR.

Now take the Xbox and put it on Vid3. There you go. As far as video quality goes I don't think you would see any decrease in performance at all. Also, if your TiVo goes there component there is also an extra one there so you have two component in's.

The HK may not have all you need onboard but remember something like the VCR or TiVo can take over for that and there will be no problem.

Hope this works for you, the HK is a great piece of equipment, I looked at Yamaha myself until I saw HK and I fell in love.