What's new

Any reviews of Toshiba 4700/5700 DVD players yet? (1 Viewer)

PaulKH

Second Unit
These look like interesting units... and great value if they perform well.
Anyone seen one yet? Or seen a review?

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Paul,
I too was interested in these models as the specs look real good!
I used PriceScan and found a 4700 for $259, which I thought was VERY reasonable. Now, I want to see if they perform. Anyway, I then called Crazy Eddie and they told me that these units were to be shipping next week. However, how reliable that information is, I don't know.
Regards,
Ron

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ron, beware of Crazy Eddie if you are thinking about placing an order. They are not considered the most reliable dealer out there. First of all, they are not an authorized dealer. Also, some have complained about their rude customer service personnel. They are also well known for having had financial difficulties in the past (I don't know their current standing). They have closed their store in New Jersey for reasons unknown in the past. I won't order from them for these reasons.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
Also, $259 doesn't seem like a great price.
OneCall's price is $249 for the SD 4700 + they had 10% off that price during a promotion recently, so the final price was $224.10.
I did a search, and came up with BelmontTV, and they list the SD 4700 at $223.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
KeithH,
Thanks, but it's all good...I wasn't going to order from Crazy Eddie. I was just calling them for a ship date.
Paul_Psutka,
Wow, that's weird...One Call didn't even come up in my Price Scan search. You're right, $224 is real good.
Now we just wait for someone to buy one and give us a review!

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Oh, by the way...
I also posted this one another thread as well:
Does anyone have any news/info on the de-interlacer and MPEG decoder they're using in the 4700/5700?

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Ron could you post the link to the other thread? Things have become crazy 'round here without search.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Here you go, Jeff:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/044769.html
However, it seems that this thread we're contributing to is getting more of a response.
By the way, straight from the horse's mouth (Toshiba)...the 4700/5700 will ship beginning in early November. The rep said that there were some "issues" with getting the product here, something to do with customs she said...

Brian Treinen

Stunt Coordinator
Question on the aspect ratio control (if anyone knows yet) is this similar to the RP91 feature? Effectively being able to "force" the squeeze trick on a 4:3 digital set that doesn't normally do the squeeze? That would be ideal...for me anyway.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Brian,
I don't think anybody knows anything yet...not even Toshiba! I called them to ask what kind of MPEG decoder they're using in the 5700 and after checking with her supervisor, the rep came back to the phone and said, "Yes, it plays MP3s." After I told her that that wasn't the information I was looking for, she rattled off the same specs that are all over the Web. I guess we'll just have to wait and see...
Ron

Brian Treinen

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,
I hear ya. I talked with them as well about this. I've also got a Toshiba TN50X81 hdtv ready set (no squeeze trick)so I called to ask about the aspect ratio control. The rep kept saying yes so I asked the specific question, will this player force 16X9 progressive onto my set via the control. She hesitated a little like she was looking and then said yes, definately. This was clearly what I wanted to hear, so I asked when they would be avialable and she said, they are right now, they came out in July. My bubble was burst...I'm guessing she really didn't know what she was talking about.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I just think it kinda sucks that a consumer can't even get an intelligent answer from a manufacturer regarding their own product! I mean, how can I even put my faith (and my money) in a company's product when they can't even provide me with the information needed to make a purchasing decision?
Enough frustration...
Anyway, I read in another forum that these players will have the Zoran chipset like the Toshiba SD3750. Does this chipset display the chroma bug???
Ron

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Well, I just answered my own question. Looks like I'll be looking for a different DVD-Audio/Progressive Scan player...
From the DVD Benchmark Shootout (2001):
Players that DO have the chroma problem (chipset in parentheses):
Mitsubishi DD-6000 (Zoran)
Onkyo DV-S939 (Zoran)
Toshiba SD-1600 (Zoran)
Toshiba SD-5109 (Zoran)
Toshiba SD-6200 (Zoran)
Toshiba SD-9100 (Zoran)
Toshiba SD-9200 (Zoran)
[Edited last by Ron Reda on October 14, 2001 at 08:19 PM]
[Edited last by Ron Reda on October 14, 2001 at 08:20 PM]

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
Dang it, I was planning on getting a SD4700 when it came out, but Im not really interested if it has a chroma bug. Well, out to hunt out a new prospect.

Page

Stunt Coordinator
Although the new Toshibas will be using the Zoran chipset, this is the latest and a new version of that chipset. Supposedly, the chroma bug has been lessened/hidden better. I bought a 3750 and compared it to my "old" (I bought it in January!) 6200. The 3750 does not comb and from what I can tell the chroma bug is not so prevalent. (It also does not "flicker" on solid colors due to the color suppression chip.) To my eyes, the 3750 puts out a better picture than the 6200. (And seems sharper than the Panasonic RP-56.)
I've been trying to find more information about the chipset, but like everyone, I'm not having much success. At this point I wouldn't write off the new Toshibas just yet...
[Edited last by Page on October 15, 2001 at 01:46 AM]

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Page,
That's fine that it's been hidden/lessened, but bottom line is that it still has the bug. It's just so frustrating that only a handful of companies can get it right (like Panasonic) even after the bug has been exposed and the consumer has spoken.
As far as other players, I was looking for an inexpensive alternative that could give me progressive scan (with the lack of the chroma bug) for around $400. I'm a Toshiba fan so I was hoping that this new crop of players would be just the ticket. I saw the specs on the 4700/5700 and was pretty psyched that they did all that I wanted and added DVD-Audio.
Being that I'm such a big Toshiba fan, I won't write them off just yet, but I will certainly continue my search.
Ron

Jason Caudill

Stunt Coordinator
I was told by a Toshiba rep that he did not know what chipset they would be using on the 4700/5700 but that he knew it would be different (better?) than the one used on the 5 disc 3750.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Jason,
Thanks for the update! Unfortunately, I can't rely on what Toshiba says. I mean, I like them, but it's difficult to compare products and make a decision if you don't have all of the details. I guess we'll just have to wait and read a review from a mag or someone that buys one. I'll tell ya one thing though, it won't be me!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks