Any reviews of Thw Works of Spike Jonze, Michel Gondry & Chris Cunningham?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chris Harrison, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Chris Harrison

Chris Harrison Stunt Coordinator

I plan on picking up Spike Jonze but I was wondering if anyone has seen the Gondry or Cunningham DVDs?

2. JoeyNelson

JoeyNelson Extra

i've got all 3 of these coming in the mail, can't wait to tear into them. i haven't seen any reviews either.

3. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

The only review I have seen was a review of the Jonze disc over at DVDTalk's Review section.

4. Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull Supporting Actor

Got my shipped notice from amazon.ca this evening, so I should have all 3 of these babies any day now. Can't wait! Been looking forward to these almost as much as the Looney Tunes set that just arrived today...

5. Charles de Lauzirika

Insider

I picked up all three last night at the Virgin Megastore in Hollywood during a special event with all three directors in attendance. They screened portions of each disc at the nearby Sunset 5 theater and then participated in a rather frustrating Q&A panel back at Virgin, followed by them signing discs.

I've only had time to sample each disc, but I'm enjoying all three of them. Picture and sound quality are very good, especially considering the variety of source elements, and the content is fantastic. Christopher Walken's commentary on Spike Jonze's video for "Weapon of Choice" isn't the most informative, but had last night's audience laughing throughout. If there's one slight disappointment so far, it's that Chris Cunningham's mesmerizing flex is only excerpted and not shown in its entirety. I saw the whole thing at ResFest a while back -- it's an amazing piece of work -- and was hoping it would be included in this set, uncut. On the other hand, the Cunningham disc includes a "Making Of" featurette for Bjork's "All is full of love," which is probably my favorite video of all-time, so I'm very pleased about that. Each disc comes in bulky, well-designed packaging with wonderfully-produced booklets. Criterion would be proud.

So at first blush, I would highly recommend this set. And I hope this series continues with other directors.

6. Bryant Frazer

Bryant Frazer Stunt Coordinator

I'm seconding Charlie's kudos for the presentation of these discs. The books are 52 pages, squarebound, with all kinds of cool material on the inside. The DVD cases are extra-thick so they can handle the larger books. And the material on the DVDs themselves is pretty terrific. Talk about great gift items.

As an aside, I managed to get both Spike Jonze and Chris Cunningham yesterday, but neither Best Buy nor my local Borders was able to set me up with Michel Gondry -- Best Buy couldn't find 'em, and Borders had already sold out. And the prices at Best Buy are pretty awesome at any rate, $13.99 for Cunningham and $14.99 for Jonze. I felt like I was stealing because, frankly, I would have paid $30 for each of these without complaining.

Next hear, I hear Mark Romanek is in the series. Hey ya! And I can only hope for a definitive David Fincher collection.

-bf-

7. Chris Sypal

Chris Sypal Stunt Coordinator

I just got an email from DVDPlanet saying that they had shipped me the Jonze and Cunningham discs, but not the Gondry. I'm guessing that there's a delay on that disc.

8. Marc_Savoie

Marc_Savoie Stunt Coordinator

9. Chris Harrison

Chris Harrison Stunt Coordinator

Marc, I ordered the 3 pack from amazon.com last night (a hell of a bargain for $31.38) and my delivery estimate is for November 5-7.

10. Bob Turnbull

Yeehaa!

Took a quick look at Mark Romanek's web site. His videos don't interest me as much as the other directors so far in the series, but there might be some interesting items in there. I hope they continue with this kind of detail through the series.

11. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Going to get the Jonze and Gondry discs for sure. Is there going to be a Romanek disc too. looking at his videography there is enough there for me to buy.

12. Justin W

Justin W Stunt Coordinator

13. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

14. PaulP

PaulP Producer

15. Roy Batty

Roy Batty Second Unit

Jose M Mendez
    Please, could someone tell me whether the Chemical Brother's "Let Forever Be" is included or not in the Gondry set?

I find this to be one of his finest efforts –if not the best– and although the online promotional trailer showed some excerpts, it did not show up on contents lists.

Thanks!

16. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

17. Roy Batty

Roy Batty Second Unit

Jose M Mendez
    Thanks, Jean-Michel.

Let's hope for the best, then!

18. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

I pre-ordered all three discs almost three weeks ago at DVD Empire, and it looks like I put my order in too late: while the Jonze disc is available, it seems they underestimated the demand for the Gondry and Cunningham packages--I have to wait for those to come in from their vendor, since they're already out of stock! So the wait and anticipation just grows bigger for me.

Regarding the next batch, let me add another vote for a Romanek disc; I'd also like to see a disc for the husband-and-wife team Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris (you can see their videography here: http://www.bogodir.com/Director/Jona...Valerie+Faris/ ). And although he hasn't made too many videos, I'd also like to see a collection of music videos by Sexy Beast director Jonathan Glazer (http://www.bogodir.com/Director/Jonathan+Glazer/ ).

19. Bob Turnbull

Jose, "Let Forever Be" is definitely on the Gondry set. I've just watched it tonight.

All 3 of these discs are remarkable. There is no shortage of inventiveness or ideas just pouring out through their work. I've only sampled all 3, but the Jonze disc is probably my favourite since it not only contains some of my fave videos, but also has commentaries on just about all of them (including Christopher Walken on "Weapon Of Choice"). "Praise You" still makes me smile even though I've seen it countless times.

I've mostly checked out the videos so far. Looked at a couple of the short films on Gondry's disc that didn't do much for me, but the disc is worth it for "Fell In Love With A Girl" alone (the White Stripes video with the Lego). Even better perhaps is "Sugar Water" by Cibo Matto. Essentially you are watching the same clip on both sides of the screen at once, except one half is in reverse. It sets up a few "wow" moments near the end...Again, a wealth of ideas.

The Cunningham disc is most likely the darkest of the bunch (with Aphex Twin, Squarepusher and Autechre, how could you not be?), but it's equally stunning at moments. Bjork's video "All Is Full Of Love" is truly amazing. There's some making of footage on the disc for it, but I've yet to watch it. Tomorrow hopefully. This disc is the only one of the three that is single sided since it appears to have the least amount of content (though still enough to dive into).

Audio and video seem perfectly fine to me. I can't think of any quibbles about these sets at all frankly. I haven't yet looked at the individual booklets for each disc, but they are thick and nicely designed. Oh, and I love opening menu on the Gondry disc...

Palm can release more of these and I'll be first in line.