Any reviews of Them! ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ScottL, Aug 13, 2002.

1. ScottL

ScottL Agent

I see that "Them!" was released on Aug 6th. Anyone pick this up yet?? Please do tell!!! Nothing better than radiation mutated giant Ants [​IMG]
    Scott

2. ScottL

ScottL Agent

3. Darrel Johansen

Darrel Johansen Stunt Coordinator

This is a good one. I saw it many years ago because I was addicted to 50s sci-fi flix as a kid. I found some pretty old newspapers in an old house on property my dad bought in the 50s. The ads for Them! were great, and I was intrigued with this movie, but I only saw it years later on TV.

It's cheesy as heck, but much better than most others of this genre --at least the ants look like they aren't rear projections, and the scale of things is consistent in the movie (check out Beginning of the End with giant grasshoppers to see how bad these effects can be done). Plus you get James Arness, who was the original alien in The Thing, and a very, very young Leonard Nimoy in a bit part. Dialog and plot is a level above its peers. Not a great film, but a movie that has been preserved well and accurately documents the period. Except for cigarette smoking, not even much in the way of annoying anyone of the politically correct group. The female part is played straight --as a serious scientist-- not a sex symbol.

The black and white print is just great -- probably better than anyone except the first viewers of the pristine film ever saw it.

Based on that, highly recommended.

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Absolutely a first-class transfer of a classic 50's science-fiction Cold War-era movie.

Get it!

5. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
  6. Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig Second Unit

Bill Huelbig
  7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul