What's new

Any reviews of the Universal re-issue of The Game yet? (1 Viewer)

Tony Scello

Second Unit
Universal's re-issue of David Fincher's The Game is due next week and I was wondering if anybody has seen a review of this disc. There appears to be very little information available on this disc besides the fact that it will have widescreen and pan & scan versions of the film (and be bare bones). Can anyone confirm the widescreen version will be anamorphic as some orginally reported or is this just a repackaging of the the previous Polygram/USA Films releases? If we're not going to get a Criterion/special edition version of this anytime soon I'd at least be happy with an anamorphic widescreen version for now.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I too am very curious about this title. On a large-screen projection system the current THX DVD is pretty lame...it really looks like "big video" and not like film at all.

a new 16x9 transfer would be awsome. it makes me nervous to think about a P/S transfer squished in on the same dual-layer disc...that's not giving too many bits to either transfer...still...maybe they'll manage to pull it off.

-dave

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I haven't viewed it yet but I can tell you that the packaging is identical to the previous release except the Universal logo is now on there in place of the Polygram logo. I assume it is no different based on the packaging.

Jeff

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Well, on the plus side of things, it still leaves Criterion with a huge gap to fill, and considering their relationship with Universal is hunky-dory, we might see their DTS, anamorphic special edition of The Game yet.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
yeah it's not even on Universal's website.

99.99% chance of nonanamorphic rehash. ARGHHHH!!!

at least this transfer looks midly passable scaled to 16:9 on my 38" tv....i would suspect it looks like garbage on larger screens.

Iain Jackson

Second Unit
If anyone is capable of watching Region 2 PAL on their setups, you might be interested in the UK release of The Game - it is still bare-bones (only a trailer) but it does have a good anamorphic transfer.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i remember seeing on davidfincher.net a while ago, some news about a criterion version. i would think this is pretty close to being accurate, since its the directors official website. maybe its just wishful thinking...

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks