Any reviews of the Universal re-issue of The Game yet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony Scello, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Tony Scello

Tony Scello Second Unit

Universal's re-issue of David Fincher's The Game is due next week and I was wondering if anybody has seen a review of this disc. There appears to be very little information available on this disc besides the fact that it will have widescreen and pan & scan versions of the film (and be bare bones). Can anyone confirm the widescreen version will be anamorphic as some orginally reported or is this just a repackaging of the the previous Polygram/USA Films releases? If we're not going to get a Criterion/special edition version of this anytime soon I'd at least be happy with an anamorphic widescreen version for now.

2. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I too am very curious about this title. On a large-screen projection system the current THX DVD is pretty lame...it really looks like "big video" and not like film at all.

a new 16x9 transfer would be awsome. it makes me nervous to think about a P/S transfer squished in on the same dual-layer disc...that's not giving too many bits to either transfer...still...maybe they'll manage to pull it off.

-dave

3. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    I haven't viewed it yet but I can tell you that the packaging is identical to the previous release except the Universal logo is now on there in place of the Polygram logo. I assume it is no different based on the packaging.

Jeff

4. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

It's the same disc with a few different logos. This release is a non-event.

5. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Well, on the plus side of things, it still leaves Criterion with a huge gap to fill, and considering their relationship with Universal is hunky-dory, we might see their DTS, anamorphic special edition of The Game yet.

6. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

yeah it's not even on Universal's website.

99.99% chance of nonanamorphic rehash. ARGHHHH!!!

at least this transfer looks midly passable scaled to 16:9 on my 38" tv....i would suspect it looks like garbage on larger screens.

7. Iain Jackson

Iain Jackson Second Unit

If anyone is capable of watching Region 2 PAL on their setups, you might be interested in the UK release of The Game - it is still bare-bones (only a trailer) but it does have a good anamorphic transfer.

8. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i remember seeing on davidfincher.net a while ago, some news about a criterion version. i would think this is pretty close to being accurate, since its the directors official website. maybe its just wishful thinking...

CJ

9. Iain Jackson

Iain Jackson Second Unit

The Criterion version was just a rumour that eventually turned out to be nothing.