Any reviews of the LG LST-3510?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Allen Longcor, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

I saw this advertised this week at Best Buy and an upconverting player plus HDTV tuner seems like just what the doctor ordered. I was wondering if there were any user reviews or first hand experiences with the unit. I'm about to get my first HDTV and was interested in upconverting players and tuners for it. If this is not so hot perhaps people could recommend a few good upconverting players.

2. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

No one has heard anything about this player????

3. John S

John S Producer

I haven't heard of this model yet.. sounds interesting though...

4. John S

John S Producer

Looks pretty cool... ATSC and QAM Tuner too. Mine is only ATSC....

A little pricey...

I would be most curious as to it's DVD quality for sure.

5. Sri Prabha

Sri Prabha Auditioning

Hi All,

I have this combo unit. It receives HD signals well and the HD content looks great.(CSI,Alias,Tonight Show,and HD KQED. It also receives DTV signals over the air. We live in the SF bay area and can get 27 channels and reception is stable.
    There is an issue with it playing back upconverted commercial movies via DVI.(One of the main reasons for this things existence.) It has a HDCP issue wchich was not fixed by a firmware upgrade by LG.(They upgraded it very quickly and were very nice to talk to,however it is an issue still. It may be the projector,and I'm awaiting a reply from Infocus.) It will play unencrypted commercial DVDs or home made DVD's with upsampling very nicely. I think it will not upsample via component either.

The upsampled unencrypted DVD movies are very filmlike and the image is significantly better than the RGB output on my Pioneer 578A. A workaround so far has been to make backups of my DVDs and play them back on the LG. When I do this, the picture is excellent. It looks very close to HD content.
    I'm awaiting response from Infocus to see if the compatibality issue is due to the ScreenPlay 5000.
    Overall, I like the picture of the unit, the HD tuner /DVD combo concept is nice, but I just wish the HDCP issue can get resolved.