What's new

Any reviews of the Flaming Lips DVD Audio? (1 Viewer)

George See

Second Unit
Best Buy (I know I'm off subject a bit) really pissed me off..I went for...
Tell me about it, I went in best buy for 5 things this tuesday and only came out with one, and that was the Two Towers EE. I picked this disc up in my local Media Play, and it was stuck right in with the regular CD's I almost missed it at first. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet though :frowning:

BrandonMLR

Auditioning
OK, all these positive comments have me wanting to try this disc out. However, to my knowledge, I've never heard a note from the Flaming Lips. Could someone give me a brief description of their style? I'm pretty open to new music, but I'd like to have a general idea of their sound before dropping $20.
Hmmm... Off beat Alternative Rock would be a decent description. Great song writing and composition - to any Lips fans out there... I downloaded If I Go Mad/Funeral In My Head from iTunes - what an awesome song! Highly recommended.;)

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
i just picked it up today at circuit city. it was only $17.99. took awhile to search for it though! it was misplaced, and there was only 1 copy.

well, im at work, so i get to listen to it on a rotel separates system, b&w 804's, and a velodyne dd-15.

Jason Garrett

Stunt Coordinator
$19.99 at Best Buy here....should have checked CC! They had like 4 copies in the cd section. Fixin' to kick it with some bad brew and check it out. Damn dude, I thought the Victoria's Secret fashion show was tonight! Bummer! I was set for one very entertaining evening.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
These are only thirty second clips but they're free-n-legal! :)

Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots at Cduniverse.com

For RealAudio fans: if like me their new "RealOne" player causes your computer to act weird (mine is a Compaq w/Windows ME) I accidently found their RealNetworks Legacy Software Archive and after uninstalling that huge RealOne player (I think it was 11MB!) I downloaded their nice-n-simple Real Version 8 player. So if you click on a Real sample icon, it only loads a small program that doesn't affect my computer at all (if you launch it via the tooltray or other icon it loads the entire program but it's still small & my computer is unaffected). And it still includes their trippy visualisations and especially its funny "Anabelle the sheep" option--what can I say, I'm easily entertained. :D

LJ

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

It aired Wednesday 10-11PM. My local affiliate actually pre-empted it for a local sports show and showed it at 1:35AM. I'm wondering how much of this decision was due to community complaints about the content.

But back to the subject, I picked mine up at CC. I have to say they went nuts with the surround mix, but it's totally appropriate give the theme of the album. Imagine if Norah Jones did the same stuff!

Jason Garrett

Stunt Coordinator
I have to say they went nuts with the surround mix, but it's totally appropriate give the theme of the album.
Oh man, I've been waiting for this disc. I was sure it would finally be something that would really make the most of the format and I'm not disappointed. I wish that my system could actually do advanced surround justice, but for what I'm hearing - it's very impressive. I'm sure the Dolby mix is just as cool sounding for those without DVD-A. If you like The Flaming Lips at all and you haven't bought the Yoshimi cd - this is one helluva deal!

I would hate for advanced surround to become limited to this kind of music, but man does this music ever shine with it.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Confirmed that audio cuts out in the last 19 seconds of Track 11 when playing Dolby Digital. Not sure what the deal is there. Nothing of the sort in DVD-Audio.

GarySI

Stunt Coordinator
Just picked it up last night and all I can say is WOW. This is the DVD-A that just might put surround sound on the spotlight. Elliot Scheiner's mix is a pure delight. This isn't the usual guitars here and there crap. Check out the opening cut "Flight Test" and get ready for the ride of your life. The drums drift around the mix, not just the snare or tom-tom, but the whole drum kit turns around the room. That's just the beginning! The best is Track 9 " Do You Realize??". This one is totally disorienting, the entire mix turns around the room. Yes, the whole mix is revolving around your head. If you think this is a gimmick just listen to the lyrics and you'll know it's not. 5 out of 5 stars!!! Congratulations to the lucky ones who listen to this in Hi-Rez. You have to hear it in DVD-A. I wouldn't even bother with the DD mix if you have hi-rez. Added bonus, if you didn't already have the disc, they include a redbook mix so you can take it in the car. Just stereo, but still a great bonus. Personally I don't think I would want to listen to the MC mix of Do You Realize in my car. I'm afraid i might crash. I don't have a high-end but with B&w 602's and 601's and a sub it sure sounds great to me. I have to bring this to Stereo Exchange to hear it on a high end system.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Personally I don't think I would want to listen to the MC mix of Do You Realize in my car. I'm afraid i might crash.
You caught the description of "Do You Realize??" in the liner notes, yeah?

"CAUTION: Do not listen to this track while driving (for those with 5.1 installed in their car). It can be disorienting."

:)

GarySI

Stunt Coordinator
No, actually I caught it in the review in Sound and Vision. Haven't read the liner notes yet.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
One complaint. The many times that the whole soundstrage rotates, or parts of it anyhow, anyone whose rear speakers do not sonically match their fronts are going to experience horrible changes in sound quality, even changes in volume, dependin on what you've got.

That's my boat. I can get away with my rears not being matched most of the time, but not when the Lips are trying to make something appear to rotate seamlessly.

Ah well, in a few years I'll afford matched rears. Until then, this mix is too aggressive for my system. :-(

Michael_T

Second Unit
Ah well, in a few years I'll afford matched rears. Until then, this mix is too aggressive for my system.
Fortunately for me my speakers are all matched very well for surround sound.

But when I was listening to the Flaming Lips MCH mix the thought did pass through my head that a lot of people with surround systems that might be compromised by their rear speakers might not think this disc sounds as good as it actually does.

There should actually be a warning on the package... "Full range surround speakers and/or perfectly matched speakers for all 5 main channels are a requirement". :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks