What's new

Any reviews of the Flaming Lips DVD Audio? (1 Viewer)

RobBenton

Stunt Coordinator
I was curouis what people's thoughts were on this disc before I decide to pick it up or not.. Thanks!

ChrisP

Agent
According to most sources, it's been pushed back to Sept 23. However, from what i've heard it's a very very agressive surround mix.

Steve Kuester

Second Unit
Please describe "very very agressive" I know I'm going to like the disc no matter what, but I'm wondering if you mean agressive good or agressive bad. And where did you hear this? I'd like to read it.
thanks.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Even their normal CDs are what I would call aggressive. I don't have studio quality equipment but neither my home or my car can reproduce some of the bass without distortion. for instance, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Pt. 2 kicks my stereo's ass. I'm truly afraid what the DVDA will do! :D

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
The new Flaming Lips DVD will not be coming out before November 4th. Just so ya know."
Are you sure this is the DVD-A? This could be a concert DVD of some sort.

EDIT: I saw on their website that they refer to the DVD-A as a DVD, so it very well may be pushed back.

J

Steve Kuester

Second Unit
I remember earlier this year the release date was set for sometime in July. This is beginning to be a bummer. I've really been looking forward to this, I guess I'll just continue looking forward...

BrianMB

Agent
While waiting for Yoshimi to come out, I was wondering if anyone has their Zaireeka album?

It's 4 CD's with 8 songs split over all 4. The idea is that you sync up 4 stereos/8 speakers at once and hit play to get 8 channels of craziness. I'm intrigued.

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
I also read somewhere (can't remember) that Flaming Lips DVD Audio WILL be the first cd/dvda flipper.. Maybe this is because of the delay?

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
from HighFidelityReview.com:

‘Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots’ CD+DVD-Audio Scheduled for 23rd September
*The release date for ‘Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots’ by the Flaming Lips has been confirmed as September 23rd by Rick Gershon of Warner Bros. Records Publicity.

In a message circulated to the industry’s entertainment editors and some wire services, the contents of the “CD+DVDA” package – which consists of two separate discs and not a single hybrid – are detailed, but once again Warner Bros. falls flat on its face when it comes to promoting the benefits of DVD-Audio. Nowhere in the release does it mention high-resolution audio or the presence of a multi-channel version of the album, and even the words “DVD-Audio” are absent from the text!

Here are the contents of the news release:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hailed as one of the most innovative and influential bands in modern music, The Flaming Lips will release a special Collector’s Edition of their critically lauded 2002 album, ‘Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots’ (produced by The Flaming Lips, Dave Fridmann and Scott Booker), on September 23, 2003.

Packed with special features, the deluxe CD+DVDA edition includes all the original selections from ‘Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots’, with such key cuts as the title track, (Part 1 and Part 2,) ‘Fight Test’ The Grammy® Award winning track ‘Approaching Pavonis Mons By Balloon (Utopia Planitia)’ and eight other essential Flaming Lips originals.

Other highlights are such rare and previously unavailable (in the U.S.) bonus audio tracks as ‘Up Above The Daily Hum’ the Japanese version of ‘Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots PT. 1’ and ‘If I Go Mad’, the B-side to the UK single ‘Do You Realize?’ In addition, is the special ‘Floating In Space Remix’ and ‘CD101 (live)’ versions of ‘Do You Realize?’ and an acoustic rendition of ‘Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Pt. 1’ from AOL Sessions.

DVDA video selections contain two versions of ‘Do You Realize?’ one directed by Mark Pellington and the other by Flaming Lips frontman, Wayne Coyne. The videos of ‘Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Pt 1’, ‘Fight Test’ and ‘Are You A Hypnotist?’ are accompanied by documentaries chronicling the making of ‘Do You Realize?’, ‘Yoshimi’ and ‘Yoshimi 5.1’. Also spotlighted is the audio oddity ‘Phoebe Battles The Pink Robots’ (recorded for but never used in an episode of ‘Friends’), and the trailer for the film-in-progress ‘Christmas On Mars’, with an all-original Flaming Lips score.

Additional bonus material includes DVD ROM animated episodes of ‘Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Pt 1’ and ‘Fight Test’.

Jason_H

Second Unit
While waiting for Yoshimi to come out, I was wondering if anyone has their Zaireeka album? It's 4 CD's with 8 songs split over all 4. The idea is that you sync up 4 stereos/8 speakers at once and hit play to get 8 channels of craziness. I'm intrigued.
I have a copy since it was recently re-released. I have not gotten a chance to listen to it! However, I plan to at some point...the reason I got it was I went to a Zaireeka party.

One of the major points of the album was to encourage people to get together to listen to it, it is an "event" of sorts. As has been done by many people, my friend invited a whole bunch of others over to his house, between them they got four stereos set up, and many people just listened. It was quite an experience between just sitting in the half-darkened room with 30-40 people listening intently while drinking cold brews, and for the album itself which is really great.

Don't fall for those crappy bootlegs where people have remixed all of the discs onto two stereo channels on a single CD. Defeats the whole purpose as far as I can tell.

Back on topic, everybody is showing a release date of 10/7 for the disc but the Lips' website says 11/4 at the earliest. Only time will tell I guess. And from what I understand, it will be two discs...one DVD-A and one standard CD.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
......says 11/4 at the earliest. Only time will tell I guess. And from what I understand, it will be two discs...one DVD-A and one standard CD.
November 4th eh?

That sure is close to the DualDisc's supposed debut date in December.

;)

LJ

GlennBGB

Auditioning
It is currently first week of November ...and will be two separate discs.

If it sells well enough there is hope for Soft Bullentin to follow.

bgb in okc (home o'da lips)

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
If this one isn't going to be a CD/DVD-A flipper, perhaps some of the other discs originally scheduled for release on September 23rd (the handful of R.E.M. releases, for instance) will be.

MatS

Screenwriter
well it looks like tomorrow we finally see this

as if I don't have enough money to piss away
LOTR:TTT - EE
Springsteen Live In Barcelona dvd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks