1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Any reviews of the Flaming Lips DVD Audio?

Discussion in 'Music' started by RobBenton, Sep 3, 2003.

1. RobBenton

RobBenton Stunt Coordinator

I was curouis what people's thoughts were on this disc before I decide to pick it up or not.. Thanks!

2. ChrisP

ChrisP Agent

According to most sources, it's been pushed back to Sept 23. However, from what i've heard it's a very very agressive surround mix.

3. Steve Kuester

Steve Kuester Second Unit

Please describe "very very agressive" I know I'm going to like the disc no matter what, but I'm wondering if you mean agressive good or agressive bad. And where did you hear this? I'd like to read it.
    thanks.

4. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I wouldn't expect anything less from the Lips.

5. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Even their normal CDs are what I would call aggressive. I don't have studio quality equipment but neither my home or my car can reproduce some of the bass without distortion. for instance, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Pt. 2 kicks my stereo's ass. I'm truly afraid what the DVDA will do! [​IMG]

6. Pete_S

Pete_S Stunt Coordinator

Uh-oh... This from The Flaming Lips' web site.

"17 September 2003: Update on The Lips' DVD

The new Flaming Lips DVD will not be coming out before November 4th. Just so ya know."

http://www.flaminglips.com/content/n...=default#news1

Edit: DVDEmpire.com and Amazon.com now list a release date of 10/07/03.

7. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

8. Steve Kuester

Steve Kuester Second Unit

I remember earlier this year the release date was set for sometime in July. This is beginning to be a bummer. I've really been looking forward to this, I guess I'll just continue looking forward...

9. BrianMB

BrianMB Agent

While waiting for Yoshimi to come out, I was wondering if anyone has their Zaireeka album?

It's 4 CD's with 8 songs split over all 4. The idea is that you sync up 4 stereos/8 speakers at once and hit play to get 8 channels of craziness. I'm intrigued.

10. David Scott

David Scott Stunt Coordinator

So, did the Lips DVD-A come out today?

11. Jesper

Jesper Stunt Coordinator

Jesper Nielsen
    I also read somewhere (can't remember) that Flaming Lips DVD Audio WILL be the first cd/dvda flipper.. Maybe this is because of the delay?

12. LarryDavenport

from HighFidelityReview.com:

‘Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots’ CD+DVD-Audio Scheduled for 23rd September
    *The release date for ‘Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots’ by the Flaming Lips has been confirmed as September 23rd by Rick Gershon of Warner Bros. Records Publicity.

In a message circulated to the industry’s entertainment editors and some wire services, the contents of the “CD+DVDA” package – which consists of two separate discs and not a single hybrid – are detailed, but once again Warner Bros. falls flat on its face when it comes to promoting the benefits of DVD-Audio. Nowhere in the release does it mention high-resolution audio or the presence of a multi-channel version of the album, and even the words “DVD-Audio” are absent from the text!

Here are the contents of the news release:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hailed as one of the most innovative and influential bands in modern music, The Flaming Lips will release a special Collector’s Edition of their critically lauded 2002 album, ‘Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots’ (produced by The Flaming Lips, Dave Fridmann and Scott Booker), on September 23, 2003.

Packed with special features, the deluxe CD+DVDA edition includes all the original selections from ‘Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots’, with such key cuts as the title track, (Part 1 and Part 2,) ‘Fight Test’ The Grammy® Award winning track ‘Approaching Pavonis Mons By Balloon (Utopia Planitia)’ and eight other essential Flaming Lips originals.

Other highlights are such rare and previously unavailable (in the U.S.) bonus audio tracks as ‘Up Above The Daily Hum’ the Japanese version of ‘Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots PT. 1’ and ‘If I Go Mad’, the B-side to the UK single ‘Do You Realize?’ In addition, is the special ‘Floating In Space Remix’ and ‘CD101 (live)’ versions of ‘Do You Realize?’ and an acoustic rendition of ‘Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Pt. 1’ from AOL Sessions.

DVDA video selections contain two versions of ‘Do You Realize?’ one directed by Mark Pellington and the other by Flaming Lips frontman, Wayne Coyne. The videos of ‘Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Pt 1’, ‘Fight Test’ and ‘Are You A Hypnotist?’ are accompanied by documentaries chronicling the making of ‘Do You Realize?’, ‘Yoshimi’ and ‘Yoshimi 5.1’. Also spotlighted is the audio oddity ‘Phoebe Battles The Pink Robots’ (recorded for but never used in an episode of ‘Friends’), and the trailer for the film-in-progress ‘Christmas On Mars’, with an all-original Flaming Lips score.

Additional bonus material includes DVD ROM animated episodes of ‘Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Pt 1’ and ‘Fight Test’.

13. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

14. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

15. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

16. JonathanG

JonathanG Stunt Coordinator

17. LarryDavenport

Tower online is listing it as 10/7.

18. GlennBGB

GlennBGB Auditioning

It is currently first week of November ...and will be two separate discs.

If it sells well enough there is hope for Soft Bullentin to follow.

bgb in okc (home o'da lips)

19. Pete_S

Pete_S Stunt Coordinator

If this one isn't going to be a CD/DVD-A flipper, perhaps some of the other discs originally scheduled for release on September 23rd (the handful of R.E.M. releases, for instance) will be.

20. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

well it looks like tomorrow we finally see this

[​IMG]

as if I don't have enough money to piss away
    LOTR:TTT - EE
    Springsteen Live In Barcelona dvd