What's new

Any Reviews of Led Zepplin (2003)?? (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
My only complaint, and it's a pretty insignificant one, sometimes when Page plucks a note they throw it to the rear left or right speaker, I guess to enhance the 5.1 experience, but I find it sounds alittle cornball.
The one place I noticed (there could be others) was on "What is and What Should Never Be", toward the end before the outro begins (just Page hammering out some really cool chords).

FWIW, on the original stereo LP (yes I have a vintage copy of LZ II on vinyl boys and girls), they bounce those riffs between the L and R channels, so having it bounce to the rears in the 5.1 mix was, dare I say, appropriate, although not acoustically correct.

BGL

Duncan Reno

Agent
For those of you still hunting for it. The CC in WPB FL just received a shipment today. They received about 20 of both the dvd and cd. They had just brought out the box and I had to wait for them to apply the price tags. Maybe other CC's will receive more today as well.

CarmenC

Auditioning
My local WalMart (NH) has the DVD and the CD for 14.98 ea. until 6/3.
Check or call your local WalMart!
C

Tom Oh

Second Unit
I paid arond $30 here in HK for R1. It's worth every penny. I would have paid even more. Absolutely fantastic DVD. I wish D'yer Ma'ker was in there:frowning:

Page is just so damn cool.

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think anyone mentioned this yet, but there is an "easter egg" (kinda) on disc 2.
You know how on the menu screens each time you choose something (like audio options, credits, publishing, etc) you get a different clip of a zeppelin song which is anywhere from 30-45 seconds to maybe 2 minutes?
Well if you select the Interviews & Promos menu, and then select the Promos menu from that, you will be treated to the COMPLETE performance of 'The Song Remains The Same' - very cool indeed.:D :emoji_thumbsup:

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I was going to also mention the hidden bootleg footage of a complete Song Remains the Same performance that Ryan did, as the menu screen for choosing between the Traveling Riverside or Over the Hills promos.

As mentioned on page 3, make sure to go to the individual menus for sub-sections on disc 2 because they each contain extra footage, though nothing as great as that Song Remains thing which runs more than 5 minutes.

As for the DVD set, holy freaking shit! This is so much better than what Song Remains looks like, and to be honest I think I like several of the performances more than what is on Song Remains. These guys were so great on stage together. I love how they could wander off and follow each other and then slip right back to where they were.

BTW, as much as we might miss our personal favs (I wanted Tangerine, but did get In My Time of Dying), this set is an excellent effort at providing many different Zep songs, especially as a companion to Song Remains.

Dan Stone

Stunt Coordinator
I've only managed to make it through disc one so far (wish I had time to sit through all five hours at once), but can anyone let me know if Jimmy's laser light curtain/bow solo from Knebworth is contained on the second disc? I've read about this before, and have always wanted to see it. Hopefully, this will finally be my chance.

Thanks,

Dan

JaLe

Auditioning
Well, since nobody has not post any specs from this DVD set. Here comes PAL-version (UK) specs.

Led Zeppelin - DVD: Legendary Performances

********** DVD 1 & 2 Specs **********

Audio - Disc 1 & 2 Feature:
1 - PCM Stereo (1536Kb/s)
2 - Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround (448Kb/s)
3 - DTS 5.1 Surround (768Kb/s)

Audio - Disc 1 & 2 Extras:
1 - Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo (224Kb/s)

No subtitles in lyrics.

Subtitles in extra material: (Only in dialogue)
English, French, Dutch, German, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Hebrew, Arabic

Total running time approx. 320min (5h 20min)

********** DISC ONE **********

Feature:

1970 - Live at the Royal Albert Hall - London (102:20)
· "We're Gonna Groove"
· "I Can't Quit You Baby"
· "Dazed and Confused"
· "White Summer"
· "What Is and What Should Never Be"
· "How Many More Times"
· "Moby Dick"
· "Whole Lotta Love"
· "Communication Breakdown"
· "C'mon Everybody"
· "Something Else"
· "Bring It on Home"

Extras:

1969 - "Communication Breakdown" Promo (2:25)

1969 - Danmarks Radio (31:25)
· "Dazed And Confused"
· "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You"
· "How Many More Times"

1969 - Supershow (7:34)
· "Dazed And Confused"

1969 - Tous En Scene - French TV (9:01)
· "Dazed And Confused"

********** DISC TWO **********

Feature:

1972 - "Immigrant Song" - Splodge Edit Live (4:04)

1973 - Madison Square Garden - New York (23:19) - (Titles not included in the film "The Song Remains The Same")
· "Black Dog"
· "Misty Mountain Hop"
· "Since I've Been Loving You"
· "The Ocean"

1975 - Earl's Court - London (48:10)
· "Going to California"
· "That's the Way"
· "Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp"
· "In My Time of Dying"
· "Trampled Underfoot"
· "Stairway to Heaven"

1979 - Knebworth - Angleterre (49:59)
· "Rock and Roll"
· "Nobody's Fault But Mine"
· "Sick Again"
· "Achilles Last Stand"
· "In the Evening"
· "Kashmir"
· "Whole Lotta Love"

Extras:

1970 - NYC press conference (3:27)

1972 - Down Under (5:19)
· "Rock And Roll"
· Interview with the band

1975 - The Old Grey Whistle test (3:48)
· Robert Plant interview

1990 - Promo 1 (4:49)
· "Over The Hills And Far Away"

1990 - Promo 2 (4:10)
· "Travelling Riverside Blues"

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Houses of the Holy is actually the only Led Zeppelin album I dont like.

Glad to see others like Led Zep3.When I was in high School it was overlooked. No one ever mentioned it. It was always my favorite and I guess its finally being recognized over time.:emoji_thumbsup:

Rob,
Give Presence another listen. Its nothing short of brilliant especially when you consider the circumstances it was recorded under.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
after not listening to LZ for a few years now, i was looking forward to picking this up...
until i saw the playlist.

4 versions of Dazed & Confused?!
4 versions of Communication Breakdown?!

c'mon. the second disc is a bit better, but so much good later material seems to be passed over to mine the same ground covered in TSRTS.
thats a shame.

Ian Garton

Grip
Since the additional versions of Dazed & Confused and Communication Breakdown are extras, they shouldn't interfere with your enjoyment of these concerts. Even if you don't listen to the additional versions, you're still going to hear over 4 hours of music!

I was absolutely blown away by the quality of this set. The sound is nothing short of amazing. Well worth the $16 US.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The first disc of the DVD seems to have a problem with the DD5.1 track. There are numerous incidences of static/crackling on Plant's vocals. The easiest example to point out is when he starts singing on Whole Lotta Love. This noise does not appear on either the DTS track or the 2.0 PCM track. Can anyone else confirm this? I have two different DD decoders (one on receiver and one on player), and heard it on both of them. They are both Sony brand, though, and may use the same decoder chip.

Regards,

Mike From

Auditioning
The first disc of the DVD seems to have a problem with the DD5.1 track. There are numerous incidences of static/crackling on Plant's vocals. The easiest example to point out is when he starts singing on Whole Lotta Love. This noise does not appear on either the DTS track or the 2.0 PCM track. Can anyone else confirm this? I have two different DD decoders (one on receiver and one on player), and heard it on both of them. They are both Sony brand, though, and may use the same decoder chip.
I have the same static/crackling troubles using my Harmon Kardon AVR510. I tried 3 disks from Best Buy in different towns, all had same trouble.

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
I have the same problem - in fact, that is why I returned to this thread, to see if others have the problem.

Time for the "Official Led Zeppelin DVD Recall Petition Thread". :)

Probably there are only a few of us complaining so far, because of the "DTS is better" Urban Myth...

PS Toshiba SD4800 player, Onkyo SR500 receiver, in case that is helpful to anyone.

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
I have the same problem with the DD5.1 and static. At least I am not going crazy. The problem is not there with the DTS track but I don't like how that track sounds on my system.

HK510 + Pioneer 47A

Oops forgot to mention that taken in total the DVD's are friggin awesome. I can only wonder what black magic restoration work needed to be done to get all this material looking and sounding so good. Also I love the interview on the second disc where Plant talks about how singles are bad and that an album is supposed to be an entire work. Cool stuff!!

Laters,
Jeff

Brian

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I'm the only one who was disappointed by the 5.1 mix. I've only watched the first DVD so far, but I had to switch it to stereo about half way through because the surround mix was bothering me so much. I have several music DVD's, DVD-A's, and SACD's and this is the first time I've done that.

Page's guitar bouncing around the channels has already been mentioned, but this happens throughout the performance, and with other instruments as well, and it seems to be random. An instrument will suddenly go from the front right to the rear left, then quickly back. Sounds seemed to bleed through to other channels. There is no sense of staging or placement. It sounded like someone ran the stereo mix through a DTS Neo:6 encoder.

-B

StephenL

Second Unit
The distortion on the Dolby Digital track is terrible. The DVD should be recalled. There is no excuse for releasing it with a Dolby Digital track that is so obviously flawed. The industry is releasing too many titles with stupid mistakes. Here's a radical idea: quality control. Watch and listen to the DVD before releasing it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks