What's new

Any reviews of Lagaan? (1 Viewer)

David Ely

Supporting Actor
I believe that Lagaan is still coming to DVD January 22nd. I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to see this disk. If so .... PLEASE TELL!!! :)

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Okay ... I know that this has made it to store shelves. Unfortunately I don't have the cash to pick it up till this weekend.

Has anyone here picked up a copy? I'm really eager to find out what the quality of the transfer is like.

Michael Dehaven

Stunt Coordinator
I have it. It is a 2:35:1 film which has many blemishes, scratches, hair and everything under the sun on the source material. Suprisingly it is still sharp and the color saturation is very nice. The costumes are all bright yellows, reds, oranges and earth tones, and all are rendered beautifully. The audio is very good, the film has a made for TV look, everyone is always so clean. The songs and choreography are fun and energetic. At 225 minutes this is a long one. It has an intermission. It is a single sided disc. I enjoyed the film but the debris/scratches are a distraction at times. If you can find it for rent do so.

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Im very upset that they released this on a single sided disk! I'm also quite surprised to hear about all the dirt and scratches on the print. When I saw this film back in September, it was a near flawless print that was shown.

Oh well ... I still can't pass up owning this movie.

Michael Dehaven

Stunt Coordinator
It is a fun little movie, reminds me of early hollywood plots. It is too bad that zero effort went into its presentation on dvd. The cost of a 2 disc set with restoration must of been too much for CTHV. But having seen a much older film with an even smaller audience get the 2 disc treatment galls me (Children Of Paradise). Lagaan, even with subtitles has the potential to reach a fairly large audience.Oh well,I am glad to have watched it but I won't be keeping it.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
watching it right now...Columbia has done us a favour with correct color timing etc. any blemishes are not distracting.

sound is fair, but I can't stand player generated subtitles (which appear even during English passages)!

Some studio MUST release EARTH (1947) - MGM?

That is a movie with even better score and music by the same composer AR Rahman.

Nandita Das!!!

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Although the DVD is not upto the usual Columbia quality, it is still one of the better Indian DVDs. The picture quality does suffer a bit due to the legnth of the film and it being presented on a single disc. But the sound presented in DD 5.1 is very good. Columbia has also screwed up with the menus and chapters. A Hindi film without the songs being chapter marked and being presented as a seperate menu is a big slip up. But fortunately all the songs are pretty much at the very begining of the respective chapters. Anyhow the overall quality of the DVD is pretty good and the film itself being as good as it is makes the disc a definate buy for or atleast a rental.
A more comprehensive review of the DVD is here-->Link Removed
Sanjay
Member since 1997

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks