What's new

Any Reviews of Japans' SuperBit DR STRANGELOVE? (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
It really needs a new transfer and then encoded as a Superbit. The print used for the current edition isn't that great - it could use a clean up and seems soft in some scenes.

So, does the Japanese Superbit have DTS? Seems a bit pointless, really.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I had read that Columbia did a RESTORATION of DS back about the time Warners restored their embarassing Kubrick prints/discs. But while Warner selectively screened their "new" prints, then used them in the new remastered DVD editions, Columbia also did a quick screening in select cities, then put out the same OLD scratchy transfer from the previous edition, in the then-new DS-SE.

I am praying that we see a DS in Superbit that is as clean as the Warner remasters,
Shame on Columbia. They had better not DARE rerelease the crap transfer on SB...

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I haven't heard that one, Mark, but it sounds plausible.

Any future edition of Strangelove should be from the restored print/neg. It's a truly great film - one of my all-time favorites, as it is for many people and it deserves a pristine transfer.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
I have it, but I´m not sure what I should be looking for? I haven´t seen any other edition, so it is hard for me to compare. But it looks great to me!

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Gordon-it played here in Seattle, and the newspaper film reviewer wrote that it had gone "throught restoration"-which is why it made the theater circuit briefly-but I was unable to see it -it played for a couple days only.

Peter-is is film clean, free of scratches, spots and tears?

if so, it must be the restored version
if not they recycled the last transfer

all I know is that it would be such a joy to see a clean, crisp DVD of DS to sit proudly next to the rest of the restored Kubrick classics on my shelf.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
No I can´t say it is that clean, but it´s hard to describe. I mean a film as old as this one, is bound to have some scratches and spots even if you restore it.

I looked at the beginning and I must say there is some scratches and spots, but the detail and sharpness is superb, so I can overlook the fact that the transfer is not perfect.

But regardless of this I do think this is the best edition there is, if you compare picture quality.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
thanks Peter.

well maybe Columbia Home Video is unaware (quite possible) that a new restored print was struck, and is sitting in Columbia Theatrical, and are simply reusing the same master that theyve used for the previous several DVD/LD editions.

It wouldnt surprise me in the least.

I wish we had a definitve answer on this, though I do trust John Hartl, (retired)the Seattle Tiimes reviewer, where I beleive I read of the restoration .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks