What's new

Any reviews if Image's 4-disc set of WAR AND PEACE? (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
It was supposed to street on 31st of December - did it? Amazon list it as "Release date to be confirmed". Anyone seen any reviews?
Any info would be great. :)
Gordy

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
It didn't street on 12/31. Websites I've consulted say "release date to be announced," so we'll see.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Pan and scan???? I can hardly believe this actually happened. What, did they imanine this was going to be a J6P Wal-Mart discount release? That soccer moms and little kids were going to sit for 6 hours watching this? Who the *$%# made the decision to release this epic in pan and scan? God, it just leaves me stunned.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
One of the old other-region DVDs seemed to be P&S.

The Image/Russico R1 release WILL be 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen..complete with DD 5.1 sound.

That was on the press release...I repeat, IT WILL BE OAR.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks to you all for your replies. :emoji_thumbsup:
It's quite frustrating to see this release being delayed. Hopefully it won't be too long before it is in my hands! :)
Thanks again.
Gordy

Gunnar Syren

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gunnar Syrén
According to Ruscico's web site, their upcoming release is a 5 disc set! Unfortunately it gives very little info as to what the extras are.

Does anybody know if Ruscico have more extras, or is it just that Image have managed to squeeze in the same material on four discs?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Ruscico is notorious for splitting movies that could fit comfortably onto a single disc onto two. I'd guess that they're putting each of the four parts onto its own disc, and possibly splitting the larger part I into two discs.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe that Kultur released this in P&S on DVD. I remember around 10 years ago seeing the Kultur set of VHS tapes for this film in the video store, and even though I was dying to see it, I decided not to rent it since it was P&S. Looks like they haven't learned anything in 10 years. Thank God Russico is releasing their version through Image.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know whether Ruscico has learned their lesson about the lame 5.1 remixes... or does the inclusion of the original audio only happen (now, at long last) for their Tarkovsky DVDs?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
For those who have seen it, is it reasonnably faithful to the book? It's my second fav after LOTR...

--
Holadem

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Hol, it's almost too faithful to Tolstoy's epic masterpiece. Fearless filmmaking by Bondarchuk.
Bondarchuk's devastating 1959 WWII odyssey, Destiny Of A Man is due for release on April 22nd. It is also a must-buy for those appreciate great Russian filmmaking.
Gordy

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
It's heeere.
I got an advance copy today of the 5-disc set for War and Peace (Ruscico/Image, $79.99), coming June 3, according to the accompanying press release. I've just sampled the image on Disc 1 to verify that it is 2.35:1 anamorphic--and it is. First impression is that the source material looks kind of rough, akin to Kino's Ruscico release of "Tchaikovsky" (lots of shimmering brightness/contrast; a bit dingy), but this is nevertheless a momentous release.
Sound is Russian DD5.1 (also French and English dubs) and enough subtitle options to please anyone (Greek or Arabic, anyone?).
Here's the breakdown, according to the contents (bonus materials on Discs 1-4 appear to be largely just text):
Disc 1
Film 1: Andrei Bolkonsky, Parts 1 & 2
Bonus materials: Filmographies, Alexander I, Russian Manor-Houses
Disc 2
Film 2: Natasha Rostova
Bonus materials: National Liberation Movement, Filmographies, Sketches of the Sets
Disc 3
Film 3: 1812
Bonus materials: Filmographies, Amusements and Celebrations in the Country, Russian Classicism, Kutuzov, Sketches of the Sets
Disc 4
Film 4: Pierre Bezukhov
Bonus materials: Filmographies, Empire Style, Sketches of the Sets
Disc 5
Nothing but bonus material: Cast and crew interviews, interview with the president of Mosfilm Studio, video film about S. Bondarchuk, Tolstoy documentary, making the film, photo album.
That's all--barely enough to fill a weekend.
;)
A note about the packaging: Disc 1 and Disc 2 are paired in a gatefold sleeve, as are Disc 3 and Disc 4. Disc 5 is in a disc-sized cardboard sleeve. They all slip into a nice box. It's a classy design.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
dvdbeaver.com had some screen samples and some bit rate displays for anyone interested.
Is the version under review there an early release from a non-U.S. source? I'm assuming that since it doesn't mention Image Entertainment.

The packaging shown there varies slightly from the copy that I have, which appears to be a final-production version. The Image release does not have the three gatefold sleeves that fit inside the slipcase, as shown at dvdbeaver.com. As I noted earlier, what I have is two gatefold sleeves plus the fifth disc inside its own little cardboard sleeve. There would be no room in the slipcase I have for a third gatefold sleeve. The artwork is largely the same.

For what it's worth, while that review comments that the image quality is a revelation because it looks better than it ever has (compared with a poor-quality version on Russian TV), the truth is that it still looks middling at best.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Great stuff, Randy! :emoji_thumbsup:
Where did you get your 'advance copy' from, if you don't mind me asking? :D
I have had my copy on order from www.dvdenterprises.com - £49.99 ($75 US) since late December. June 3rd isn't far off, so I'll manage to wait a little longer.
Inwordly, I knew the transfer was never going to be perfect; the 65mm Russian film stock and processing in the Sixties wasn't exactly perfect and over the years, the neg and prints - which have been cut and re-cut many times - haven't been kept in pristine condition, but I'm sure that it will look better than it ever has.
I'm really looking forward to seeing for myself.
Thanks again, Randy! :emoji_thumbsup:
Gordy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks