What's new

Any reviews for Witchboard or Night of the Demons yet?? (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Good old 80's horror flicks... No reviews that I can find and Amazon doesn't even mention anamorphic...
It IS AB though so we should be okay, yes..?

:) D

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Oh man, Night of the Demon. The movie that opened my mind to the joys of poetic profanity. It's possibly one of the worst horror movies ever, I laughed at it endlessly when I was 12-13, even THEN I knew it was crap, but it was cheerful crap. it's definitely a "So bad it's good." classic. Especially when you factor in the fat fratboys dialog.

Imagine you're 12. You're just starting to discover how creatively four letter words can be used. You know there's rules to it, otherwise you can sound retarded. Calling someone a "Motherbitcher" will get you laughed at. but you sit down in front of this terrible horror movie and out of nowhere, a character screams at another character:

"hey, you know what? Whatever. Why don't you just go EAT! a BOWL! of FUCK!"

...you can put it in bowls? you can eat it? I thought "fuck" was a verb, wasn't it? What the hell? rewind that, mike! There's no way..

"EAT! a BOWL! of FUCK!"

NO WAY. I couldn't wrap my mind around the inane genius. How do you DO that? You can come up with stuff like that? Is that really possible? is it?

Thank you, "Night of the Demon" for making me the pottymouth I am today. I might reward you with a DVD purchase should I ever discover you on the shelves.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Anchor Bay used to send its DVDs for review a week before release. Any more, they tend to arrive toward the end of the actual release week. That's why online reviews have been lagging.

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
It took me a while to find my copy of Night of the Demons today. Best Buy was loaded with Witchboard but only had one copy of Night of the Demons sandwiched between Night of the Living Dead and something else. Suncoast wasn't even carrying it.

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
Well, I just finished watching it. Definitely NOT as scary as I remember it. Then again, I was like 12 at the time. I found some episodes of MacGyver scary as kid, so it's all about perspective! The parts where the cut footage was reinserted are noticeable as they came from like an 8mm reel or something. The quality isn't bad (like Wicker Man) so it works. If you're an amateur DVD viewer, you probably wouldn't notice.

Rolando

Screenwriter
OMG! I had forgotten about this! Witchboard is one of my all time favoutites! When is this coming out? Oh man I am heading online to look for it NOW!!!

I LOVE YOU ANCHORBAY!!!

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I picked up Witchboard last night, but havent watched it yet. I was impressed that my local Best Buy had like 10 copies of it.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Okay, I watched Witchboard last night and am pleased to report that the transfer looks to have been given the thorough Anchor Bay treatment. The colors are somewhat washed out throughout the movie, and skin tones tend to border on the pink level, but I get the distinct impression that these are just results of the original transfer. Edge enhancement didn't appear to be too prevalent on my 32" WEGA in 16x9 mode...who knows how it will hold up on larger screens. The print is very clean, detail is good although there is some noticeable grain...again probably from the original transfer.

As a whole, considering the source, I think the transfer is nice, and I have no complaints. The dialogue is definitely adequate. I ended up switching to 2 channel stereo for this movie and found the highs to be relatively clear, and there actually was a small amount of bass coming through my subwoofer during some of the "possession" segments.

As a whole, there is nothing spectacular about the audio or the video here, but like I said, its a lot better than it could have been. Anchor Bay did another good job with this one, definitely worth $15.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Well, I got these and they really didn't hold up like I thought they would. Witchboard is ok, but Demons is pretty dreadful.

sigh.... :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks