Any reviews for The King and I?

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
I'm curious how this DVD since several previous R and H, films have had disappointing DVD releases.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I haven't seen any reviews for this release either. I picked it up at Best Buy today and haven't had a chance to watch it yet so I can't give much of an opinion yet.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
I read somewhere that the 50th Anniversary Edition lacks the Overture, Intermission, and Exit music that was on the original DVD? IS this indeed true?

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Now I read somewhere else that the Overture, etc were not on the original film, but on the 1962 re-release. King and I experts please chime in!

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon Lidolt
The King and I was re-issued by Fox in a reduction from the original 55mm negative to a 70mm release print and shown as a reserved seat attraction. This presentation most likely had an overture and an intermission.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
The film was rereleased but blown up to 70mm. the Overture and Intermission were never a part of the original film. This music waas cut and pasted together from parts of the background score for the reissue only.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I scanned through the disc and there definitely isn't an overture or en'tracte. The picture quality is better than the cinemascope Oklahoma but not quite as good as the Sound of Music. Of course, the picture is a lot better than the Todd-AO Oklahoma.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I'm a little bit disappointed in the soundtracks for these DVDs. Perhaps Joe Caps could chime in about them?

I'm sure the original soundtracks were exemplary, but these sound noisy and they break up the highs. Maybe the source tapes are in bad shape.

SteveJKo

Second Unit

Actually Joe, Jon was correct when he said it was reduced to 70mm. The 55mm Cinemascope frame was enormous, eight perforations tall as opposed to the five perf tall 70mm frame.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I got the region 2 versions of King and I , Carousel, and South Pacific a few months ago and found no problem with the soundtracks. I'm assuming the same tracks are used for region one.

ONe problem most of these old mag stereo tracks have (and especially at Fox) things are mixed really high and right into distortion, because the engineers new that the distortion would be somehwat masked by the screen and large theaters.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
They sound pretty good to me, too. I was happy to hear that the directional dialog in "Carousel" has not been narrowed at all. During the scene near the opening where Gordon MacRae has his first conversation with Gene Lockhart. Lockhart walks back and forth across the screen several times and his voice tracks with him. If you suspect your L-C-R speaker levels are a bit off, this could practically be used as a calibration disc!

For best results, if practical, I would recommend watching this with your left and right speakers anchored fairly closely to your screen. It can be disorienting if they are very far away from the sides.

Regards,

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I played the first two-thirds of this movie this afternoon on my Sony upconversion player, and I thought it looked and sounded terrific. I saw colors in the costumes I had never witnessed before and really couldn't be happier with this new version.

TonyDale

Second Unit
For anyone who bought the new King and I, can you go to 110:11 into the film (Shall We Dance) have the "Singalong Subtitles" on and tell me if your DVD jumps around. It seems to only happen when the "Singalong Subtitles" are visible. No other subtitles and it doesn't matter what audio track you are listening to.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, mine jumps in exactly that way. It skips and sputters when the singalong captions are turned on. Plays fine normally.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

Mine plays perfectly on my Denon 2200 w/Singalong Subs visible. No problems whatsoever on any of the audio tracks.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Exactly what DVD player models are you folks using? Maybe this can be narrowed down to a particular brand or model.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

Mine is a Sony upconversion player. I didn't try it in my Panasonic.

However, the number ("Shall We Dance") began just fine. I thought there would be no problem, but when the song gets to the part where Anna is teaching the king to count "one-two-three-and') that's when the troubles started.

John Skoda

Stunt Coordinator
I’ve been looking at the new 2-disc DVDs of CAROUSEL and THE KING AND I today and I can’t recommend them enough. I’ve never the colors of these films reproduced so fully and richly as here. I just saw a print of THE KING AND I at the AFI theater a few months ago, and I thought that looked nice, but it was nothing compared to what's on this disc. Really eye-popping.

There are plenty of other things to recommend in the packages as well, but I especially want to recommend a listen to the music-only track available on both discs. The track reproduces Alfred Newman’s underscore for both films at full volume in beautiful crisp stereo sound. And most of the songs are presented without vocals, so you get a chance to appreciate what’s going on behind the singers. Amazing stuff.

One problem I noticed in CAROUSEL--at the very beginning the Fox fanfare is followed by "A CinemaScope Picture" instead of the "First Motion Picture in CinemaScope 55" credit that appeared on the letterboxed laserdisc. A shame that was dropped.

RafaelB

Second Unit
I got the R&H set at Costco this weekend and viewed snippets from each film and have to agree with John Skoda that the colors on these new releases are pretty spectacular.

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaMovieMaestro