What's new

Any reviews for Rogue Squadron III-Rebel Strike yet? (1 Viewer)

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I was amazed to see my local Blockbuster had this up for rental. I'm less than impressed with it so far. I've played through a few missions and the on foot levels flat out suck. The targeting and camera control are non existant. The ship levels are ok but they just feel exactly the same as the missions in RS2 but nowhere near as cool. Granted, I'm only up to like the 3rd Wedge mission and the second Luke mission but so far I'm definitely glad I didn't do a blind buy on this one.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Dave- that's exactly the reason I chose not to get it. I was considering getting it with the Toys R Us deal but choose not to because:
1. It seems to be agreed upon by gamers here and by many reviews that the on-foot levels suck due to poor controls, poor auto-targeting, and poor cameras, and
2. The only real strength of the game is the flying levels

I already have Rogue Leader and haven't finished it yet, and will be getting Crimson Skies this week. Therefore, Rebel Strike doesn't really hold any appeal to me. It might a long time from now when it hits $20.00, but until then, it's not even a renter for me. This sort of sucks because I'm a big Star Wars fan and was hoping that the on-foot levels were much better than they apparently are.

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
This game is worth every penny. The multiplayer and co-op modes are well done and add alot of replay value. The difficulty seems to be on par with Rogue squadron II. The on-foot missions do suck but I have to admit, they add a degree of difficulty when going for the Gold medals which makes mastering the controls all the more important. It's defnitely not a reason to not buy this game. This game is better than Rogue Squadron II hands down. Reviewers who rated this lower than Rogue Squadron II really blew it IMO. They focused on the on-foot missions (which is a small part of the game) and downplayed the great multiplayer aspect of the game (which is a huge part of the game).

Dono-B

Auditioning
Excellent game! :D

The onfoot is a small part of the game but annoying. If you knew about the game before release you would have heard about the onfoot parts being not so good. Sarlaac and dagobah are the two shortest missions in the game.

The flying is better than ever and if you are not interested in the flying then the RS series is not your game. There are quite afew excellent missions and you have alot of variety. Raltiir, Dubrillion, Genosis, COOP Bespin, Endor and much more are levels you'll want to play over and over again. Which is important as Rogue Squadron games are not long.

Multiplayer is brilliant! :D VS has Tag and Defend, Dogfight, Rampage and race. I spent hours playing VS yesterday. The COOP is brilliant and has lots of changes form the last game. Its a much better version. :D
Overall i am very impressed. Lots to do. Lots of replay value and a very fun multiplayer.

This is the first game to use Pro Logic IIx for 7.1 sound. Graphics are amazing. I'd say the best on a console.

You get alot for your money! :D previous games only had single player which you had to rely on replaying if you wanted them to last you.

Dono-B

Auditioning
my sister hated the last two. She loves this one! I think they did a great job to bring in not so heavy gamers.

I think the critics messed up bad.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I agree that the multiplayer is awesome but for me the better game must be the single player since that's the one I'll play more often. I've played a bit more of the single palyer and frankly, even the flying missions in single player kinda stink. They're pretty unimaginitive and or just plan dumb to a large extent. The ones in RL were much better. The non movie ones in this one feel just that, non movie. The non movie ones in RL atleast were nudged between movie missions so it sort of filled in a small gap. These missions are trying to fill the grand canyon. It's really a shame as I was quite pumped about this game. Oh well, that's $50 I can save :)

Dono-B

Auditioning
I disagree. Just because they are non movie does not mean they are bad! Some of the best ever RS series missions are in Rebel Strike and they are nearly all non movie. :)

I think going below an 8/10 would be crazy. I could agree with scores 8 and above.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Dono,
I'm not against the missions strictly because of the non-movie nature(hell I loved Tie Fighter on the PC and hardly any of the missions in that had anything to do with the movies) it's just the missions feel like they've been done before and better in Rogue Leader. The speed bike levels are cool but I'm just really underwhelmed with the package as a whole. I can see how some people really dig this game but frankly it has alot of the things I disliked about Rogue Leader and is missing alot of the attraction for me. If I could get it for 25 or 30 bucks I might pick it up, but I just can't imagine I'd pay $50 for this game.

Mark-C

Stunt Coordinator
This game compared to RS2 is way too easy. I found RS2 to be very challenging but this I started on the Friday night and finshed it the Saturday morning. It actually felt like I cheated it was that easy.

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
Um, I think RS2 was much easier to beat. I think I beat it in one night without any golds. The real challenge is in getting the Gold medals. You don't really beat the game until you get all golds IMO. I'm finding this one to be just as difficult overall.

Dono-B

Auditioning
All the RS games are short in single player. They last if you play them again and again mainly for messing about. In RS3 the flying is better than ever.

Unlike the other RS's Rebel Strike also has multiplayer modes.

NickC

Second Unit
Dean, thats a confusing level, if you want to know the way to do it I'll post below..

Use missles and lasers to help take out the Tie Hunters with the A-wing, when you get to the Y-Wing section, look for the buildings that have an open roof with what looks like a swimming pool on top,thats the sheild, the building should be right behing the lasers that are fireing up to form, there are three of them, 2 ion blasts and 4 bombs will do the trick.

I have unlocked all the levels except the endurance level, I have at least a bronze for all levels, used Slave 1 in a few missions, hopefully I will be able to get all silvers, now golds is going to be very hard....

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Is there any way to get Luke to run faster? I can't evenget a bronze medal because he runs so frigging slow. It's a good looking game but so far I have spent more time tring to get past the running to do any flying. I wish lucas would just port X-Wing versus Tie Fighter to the Game Cube.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I found that you have to zig-zag Luke to get him to run at a decent enough speed to at least get bronze.

I'm debating whether or not to trade this (and Medal of Honor: Rising Sun) back to EB Games for something more induring. I played way more Tiger Woods 2004 than either of these games (I was done with Rising Sun after six hours and all I have to get is another bronze medal to open up the bonus levels of Rebel).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just as a heads-up for those on the fence about this title (like I was).

Best Buy has it on sale this week (it might be a permanent price drop from the look of the ad but I'm not 100% sure) for $29.99.

I couldn't resist at that price, and I'll post my thoughts later when I have some time to play it.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
It will only be $24.99 after the coupon in the gamer's giftcard case. I almost got it today but I ended up going with I-Ninja for $14.99(PS2). I'm pleased with my choice so far but maybe I'll pick this up anyway. What % of the game is on-foot missions?

JamesH

Supporting Actor
They should be in CD cases somewhere in the video game department. They used to have yellow/green inserts, but now the insert is yellow/black. Basically, you buy the giftcard, and there is a coupon for $5.00 off any game or accessory > $19.99. You can do it all in one transaction if you don't mind a raised eyebrow from the cashier, but I usually just get about 5 at once and put $5 each on them and use them whenever BB has something I want. Awesome deal when BB already has a killer sale like I-ninja for $19.99. SOMETIMES you can pricematch with circuit city, fry's, etc and use a coupon, but I wouldn't count on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks