What's new

Any reviews for Rogue Squadron III-Rebel Strike yet? (1 Viewer)

Frederick

Second Unit
Gamestop got mine in today, but yesterday I played the demo. I was a little disappointed. The land mission on Hoth left much to be desired, and I'd hate to have to play through a bunch of those. Add to the fact that Game Informer wasn't too impressed with it, I'm debating on picking it up or not. Any more news out there?

Freddy C.

NickC

Second Unit
Gamespot gave it a 7.8

8 Gameplay
8 Graphics
7 Sound
9 Value
7 Tilt

IGN gave it an 8.3

9 Presentation
9 Graphics
10 Sound
7 Gameplay
9 Lasting Appeal

I wasnt disapointed at all with the demo, I think some people may be expecting too much with the ground controls, I don't have any problems with them, I didn't have any problems with the camera in the demo either for the ground missions, but we shall see if the same holds true for the ground missions that occur inside. I will be getting the game tomorrow in the mail, full impressions then. Both reviews seem to be a little off if you ask me, ign gives sound a 10, but gamespot gives it a 7 ???

Philip_S

Stunt Coordinator
I believe Game Informer gave it 6.5 or 7.

The new EGM gave it a few 7s & 7.5s, if I remember correctly

General consensus is that the flight missions are great, albeit retreads, the on-foot missions are lousy.

Frederick

Second Unit
So is it worth $50? I love Star Wars, and I have the other games. I may just go ahead and get it. At least I can blow TIE fighters away over and over. Maybe that will take the pain of the ground missions away ;) ...

Freddy C.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I just got mine delivered from GameStop and no f'ing bonus disc.

Anyone else have this problem?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I know you want the bonus disc since it was promised to you, but you aren't missing much. The arcade game is hidden (or not hidden; I don't have the game yet) on the game disc, along with the Empire Strikes Back arcade and a third game (ROTJ, maybe?). So, there's really nothing special about the bonus, unless it has trailers for other games and you want it for that reason. I only played the bonus disc a time or two, so I don't remember if it even has those.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The main consensus is that Factor 5 should have stuck to what they do best (flying missions). The ground missions are designed so that you don't have to do much (just press A a bunch of times, since the game autotargets) or are littered with problems (lock on to the wrong enemy and can't switch, platforming sections).

I might get it eventually, but it's not on the top of my list for now.

NickC

Second Unit
I also ordered from gamestop, I got my demo disc shipped early, I have had it for quite some time, and its pretty much worthless at this point, the original star wars arcade game is on the game disc, as well as empire and return of the jedi arcade games either hidden or playable from the start, I am guessing as unlockables...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I just reread the IGN article, and they are indeed unlockable. I plan to get the game, probably for Christmas. I'm hoping I'll enjoy the on-foot missions more than the reviewers did, but it's pretty clear they aren't enough to kill the appeal of the game as a whole. Now, I just have to get around to finishing Rogue Leader. :D

JasonRH

Second Unit
I read that there are only 2 on-foot levels and that they are optional as part of what you must play to complete the game. With that in mind, I hardly think it's a reason to NOT buy the game.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
So wich versions are the arcade games of ROTJ and ESB on? The Real game, or Demo Disk? I REALLY hope that Lucas Arts releases a special Control Yoke to play the classic games with, as the Gamecube controller just isn't cutting it...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
If someone with the game can confirm it, IGN said all the arcade games are on the actual Rebel Strike disc--not the demo. The way they described it, you run Darth Vader around a central hub, and you can run up to 3D representations of the arcade cabinets. Once you do whatever you have to do in the game, the arcade games are unlocked and fully playable.

NickC

Second Unit
I don't know how true these are....

Slave 1- All Bronze Medals in Standard Single Player Missions

Millenium Falcon- All bronze medals in Single Player & Bonus Missions

Jedi Starfighter- All Silver medals in Single Player & Bonus Missions

Tie Hunter- All gold medals in single player & Bonus Missions

Naboo StarFighter- Beat Tatooine Training in all 4 times of day and get all hidden items

Tie Bomber- Destroy all of the ground turrets in the Raid at Bakura in missile linked groups.

Star Wars Arcade Game- complete Triumph of Rebellion Mission- any level

Empire Strikes Back Arcade Game- Complete all single player campaign missions

Return of the Jedi Arcade Game- A passcode to revealed by Lucasarts in the near future

Documentary- complete Triumph of Rebellion Mission- any level

Audio Commentary- Earn bronze medals in all single player campaign missions

Credits- complete Triumph of Rebellion Mission

Ace Mode- Earn all Gold Medals in all single player campaign missions, including bonus missions and complete Tatooine Training all four times of the day.

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
My first impressions are......this game rocks!!!! The multiplayer alone is the greatest addition. I really don't understand how this game got worse reviews than the previous installment. The third person parts are pretty weak but don't take away from the whole game. In fact, its a pretty good break from the flying missions. This is a lot better than Rogue Squadron II considering the fact that it has Rogue Squadron II on it. The reviews do not do this game justice at all.

Philip_S

Stunt Coordinator
Got my copy tonight. First off the game is gorgeous. The flight levels are great as always, although there are too many cutscenes breaking up the action. The on foot levels remind me of Robotron, sort of. Robotron with a crappy camera perhaps, and Luke Skywalker.

NickC

Second Unit
This is a lot better than Rogue Squadron II considering the fact that it has Rogue Squadron II on it.
Only in Co-Op though, you can't play it single player, It would be very sweet if you could...

The only thing I don't like about the game is the Dagobah Training level and the sarlac pit level, they feel way out of place and really shouldnt be in the game at all...

Frederick

Second Unit
I went ahead and picked it up last night. Only played a couple of levels and training. Not bad. I'm not that found of the ground levels, but blowing TIE's out of the air make up for it :D ...

Freddy C.

NickC

Second Unit
If someone with the game can confirm it, IGN said all the arcade games are on the actual Rebel Strike disc--not the demo. The way they described it, you run Darth Vader around a central hub, and you can run up to 3D representations of the arcade cabinets.
I have the Star Wars and Empire strikes back games unlocked, You run around an imperial hanger as Vader and run up to the arcade cabinets, a disco ball comes down and plays the song from the intro...lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks