1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Any reviews for "Halloween" yet....?????

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave Mack, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

2. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Anybody ever try "Psycho-izing" Halloween by turning the color completely OFF and watching it in B&W? Could prove quite interesting (at least once).

3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Matt Stone

4. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

5. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

6. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

i agree with Damin about this : with some films (especially horror films), there is detail in darkness that might be on the negative we're not supposed to be seeing.

and if added fine detail (not what i'm talking about above...i'm talking about apparent picture resolution here) is a tradeoff for the original colors, i'd rather take the original colors.

however....judging by the screenshots, and from people who have seen the new dvd, i'm leaning towards the new transfer because i haven't heard anything about the "jaggies" in the new dvd (just look at the house siding in the opening daytime shots of the 1999 dvd!!)...it's a picture issue that is VERY important on larger HD displays. every shot with those jaggies "took me out" of the movie.

that being said...i am reserving final judgment until i watch the new dvd, which will hopefully be tomorrow night.

-sean

7. Sean Patrick

if bill lustig approved the 1999 transfer, count me in for the 2003 transfer!!!

(ps - still sore about the "Lustig" Suspiria remix. even though Maniac is one of my favorite horror movies, the dvd presentation of this film does suffer from his sound remix).

8. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    Those two shots that David posted of Michael Myers has further convinced me that the new transfer is all wrong.

The older transfer retains the cold blue cast while keeping Myers receded in the darkness, with only his mask really standing out. The newer image looks to warm and bright to my eyes.

9. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Matt Stone

10. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

11. Edward Schatz

Edward Schatz Second Unit

Lyle, here's my research. It comes from the back of the LE packaging. Allow me to quote, "Halloween has been fully restored under the supervision of Lucasfilm's THX Digital Mastering Services. The video was transferred by the award-winning colorist Adam Adams (T2, Titanic) from a new 35mm interpositive (made from the original camera negative) and approved by the film's cinematographer Dean Cundey (Jurassic Park, Who Framed Rogger Rabbit)."

There you go. Does it say this on the new 25th anniversary edition?

12. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

Congratulations Edward. You managed to say nothing that I haven't already said. I already mentioned what it says on the back of that DVD, and pointed out that there is a big difference between being directly involved with or supervising a transfer, and "approving" one after the fact.

Again, until Cundey or Carpenter say they disapprove of this new transfer, it means nothing.

-Lyle J.P.

13. Sean Patrick

what's the anchor bay contact email / phone number for this???

i'm still withholding judgment since i haven't seen it yet, but i'd like someone to contact if this is as much a debacle as this thread would suggest it might be.

do we have any anchor bay contacts here?

14. Edward Schatz

Really Lyle? You stated that fact about Cundey?

15. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

16. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

17. Edward Schatz

Ah, so you want to play semantic games. Fair enough. I see you believe that when one "approves" a transfer that he may be completely devoid of any involvement in the transfer. That he merely looked at it and said "ok". Is one not involved by being in the approval process? Or do you mean specifically that he did not control the dials for the blue hues and other luminance related controls? If Anchor Bay wrote on the packaging, "Dean Cundey manned the console while we did the color timing" that would be "involved" for you?

18. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

19. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Lyle, calm down! And be polite! That goes to everybody! [​IMG]

I like both transfers. The blue hues in the new transfer are there, they just aren't as plugged-up as the previous transfer. The shot of the door? Man, I always thought that it was blue, but... I don't know, that shot may have been coloured from white to blue for stylitic reasons at the telecine. It just now seems to me that no colours have been 'removed' from this new transfer - maybe Anchor were just too apprehensive about changing the color scheme without the participation if Adam Adams or Dean Cundey, who are probaly really busy at the moment - Cundey most certainly is. They could have used the previous transfer as a template, but in my opinion, they haven't done anything overtly 'wrong' - they haven't been neglegent.

Okay. Criterion were good enough to lend Anchor the commentary for this new release, and I wonder how Anchor will return the favour. In my opinion, the HD-DVD of Halloween should be handled by Criterion and have a PCM mono track! HD-DVD - unlike 'SD'-DVD, has the space for PCM mono and stereo.

Just try and keep the peace, fellow Carpenter fans! It's a real drag when threads like these are closed due to nastiness.

[​IMG]

Gordy

20. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Kevin Ray
    Indeed, all the pointless posturing, head butting, Territorial pissing and bickering that sours so many the threads these days drag HTF down into the depths of teen newsgroups...well maybe not that bad but nonetheless why do we have to act so childish? I have been in a discussion over in After Hours regarding the possible existence (or not) of The Lock Ness Monster and while there are many differing opinions on the subject it has remained reasonably civil...as civil as a discussion on Nessie can be I suppose.

God I hate to use this overused quote but it fits...Can't we all just get along??

Now having said all of that I have to admit that I will hold my final opinion on the disc until I actually see it.