Any reviews for "Halloween" yet....?????

Damin J Toell

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
(But maybe it's just me. Hitchcock apparently wanted it pitch-dark, with just shadows & voices commanding this important climax scene.)
And, likewise, the darkness of the 1999 transfer may be what Carpenter and Cundey wanted. Turning up the brightness on any intentionally dark film will reveal more detail. So what? Just because more detail can be made visible, it doesn't mean that it's meant to be seen. It seems to me that the goal of a transfer is to display the film as it is meant to be seen, not just what may look "better" and "more detailed" to someone.

DJ

David Von Pein

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Anybody ever try "Psycho-izing" Halloween by turning the color completely OFF and watching it in B&W? Could prove quite interesting (at least once).

Matt Stone

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I wasn't, either, until I was told that I was just getting my "panties all twisted in knots" for caring about whether a DVD transfer represents the desires of its filmmakers (which I thought was what this forum was about), as if somehow it's not an important consideration.
I wasn't refering to you with that statement. I was making a general statment that I'm not concerned with what version people prefer.

And you don't have to argue with me, Damin. For the most part I agree with you, which is why I said that until we get confirmation from anyone my "argument is moot."

David Von Pein

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Just because more detail can be made visible, it doesn't mean that it's meant to be seen. It seems to me that the goal of a transfer is to display the film as it is meant to be seen, not just what may look "better" and "more detailed" to someone.
OK.
But, as has been pointed out here (with now three differing prints floating around of this motion picture), how do we KNOW FOR CERTAIN that the "lighter" print isn't the "correct" one (per John Carpenter). And Carpenter's decision, in the final analysis, is the only one that ultimately matters (to "Original Intent" advocates anyway), right?

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
First, it seems to me that the Criterion LD comes much closer to the Cundey-approved 1999 transfer than to the new one (things that are blue in the 1999 transfer are still blue in the LD transfer, and not pure white as in the new transfer). Of course, I'm probably not allowed to express this opinion because I own the LD but not the new DVD
Far be it from me to dispute that last point!
In point of fact, I believe you are wrong. Having done some A-B-C comparisons, the laserdisc for the most part bears more similarities to the new DVD than the THX one. Also, there's plenty of blue in the nightime scenes on the new DVD. The statement that it's all been "turned white" is just plain not true.

Look Damin, I'm not saying you can't express concern that the new transfer may have color timing problems (though we don't really know that), nor am I saying that you're not fully in your right to not buy the disc based on reviews you've read and screenshots you've seen. In fact, I wouldn't have said anything at all until you declared the new DVD to be a "pile of feces" despite having never seen it. That, to me, is spreading FUD, and I don't mind saying so. And the more you post about the picture quality of the new DVD, the more obvious it becomes that you have not seen it, as your statements seem to be growing more inaccurate.

-Lyle J.P.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i agree with Damin about this : with some films (especially horror films), there is detail in darkness that might be on the negative we're not supposed to be seeing.

and if added fine detail (not what i'm talking about above...i'm talking about apparent picture resolution here) is a tradeoff for the original colors, i'd rather take the original colors.

however....judging by the screenshots, and from people who have seen the new dvd, i'm leaning towards the new transfer because i haven't heard anything about the "jaggies" in the new dvd (just look at the house siding in the opening daytime shots of the 1999 dvd!!)...it's a picture issue that is VERY important on larger HD displays. every shot with those jaggies "took me out" of the movie.

that being said...i am reserving final judgment until i watch the new dvd, which will hopefully be tomorrow night.

-sean

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
if bill lustig approved the 1999 transfer, count me in for the 2003 transfer!!!

(ps - still sore about the "Lustig" Suspiria remix. even though Maniac is one of my favorite horror movies, the dvd presentation of this film does suffer from his sound remix).

Brian Lawrence

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Those two shots that David posted of Michael Myers has further convinced me that the new transfer is all wrong.

The older transfer retains the cold blue cast while keeping Myers receded in the darkness, with only his mask really standing out. The newer image looks to warm and bright to my eyes.

Matt Stone

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
The older transfer retains the cold blue cast while keeping Myers receded in the darkness, with only his mask really standing out. The newer image looks to warm and bright to my eyes.
I agree with that statement completely. I also agree with the fact that none of us know how much detail was supposed to be seen, but the closest to official that we have to go on at this point, is the Cundey approved transfer.

David Von Pein

Producer
Senior HTF Member
...retains the cold blue cast while keeping Myers receded in the darkness,
with only his mask really standing out.
Yes. I can see your point with this shot in particular. (To be honest, I didn't
even SEE Michael in either of these screen-captures the first time I glanced at them.
*slaps self harshly* )

The blue hue on the mask does create an eerier effect here.

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
Lyle, here's my research. It comes from the back of the LE packaging. Allow me to quote, "Halloween has been fully restored under the supervision of Lucasfilm's THX Digital Mastering Services. The video was transferred by the award-winning colorist Adam Adams (T2, Titanic) from a new 35mm interpositive (made from the original camera negative) and approved by the film's cinematographer Dean Cundey (Jurassic Park, Who Framed Rogger Rabbit)."

There you go. Does it say this on the new 25th anniversary edition?

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Congratulations Edward. You managed to say nothing that I haven't already said. I already mentioned what it says on the back of that DVD, and pointed out that there is a big difference between being directly involved with or supervising a transfer, and "approving" one after the fact.

Again, until Cundey or Carpenter say they disapprove of this new transfer, it means nothing.

-Lyle J.P.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
what's the anchor bay contact email / phone number for this???

i'm still withholding judgment since i haven't seen it yet, but i'd like someone to contact if this is as much a debacle as this thread would suggest it might be.

do we have any anchor bay contacts here?

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
Really Lyle? You stated that fact about Cundey?

Now, mind you, both Lustig and Adams (who was also the colorist on the Abyss and Titanic discs) are well respected in their fields. But nowhere in my research have I come across any mention of Cundey being involved with the transfer himself.
Hm, the back of the packaging does mention that he approved of the transfer. Would you like me to quote it again?

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
the only evidence that I have found to back that up is the statement on the back of the DVD that says he "approved" the transfer on the disc. Being that is was arguably the best it had ever looked on video at the time, it's no surprise that he approved of how it looked.
Again, one does not have to be involved with a transfer to say one "approves" a transfer.

-Lyle J.P.

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
Ah, so you want to play semantic games. Fair enough. I see you believe that when one "approves" a transfer that he may be completely devoid of any involvement in the transfer. That he merely looked at it and said "ok". Is one not involved by being in the approval process? Or do you mean specifically that he did not control the dials for the blue hues and other luminance related controls? If Anchor Bay wrote on the packaging, "Dean Cundey manned the console while we did the color timing" that would be "involved" for you?

Damin J Toell

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
In fact, I wouldn't have said anything at all until you declared the new DVD to be a "pile of feces" despite having never seen it. That, to me, is spreading FUD, and I don't mind saying so.
I didn't intend to declare that the new DVD was a pile of feces. Rather, I made an analogy to prove a point. The point that issues related to the basic correct presentation of a film itself (color, AR, etc.) are more important than the technological quality of a DVD (sharpness, etc.); thus, that a sharp but wrong transfer is still just a wrong transfer. Just, as they say, one cannot polish a turd, a sharp pile of feces is still a pile of feces. While the analogy was admittedly extreme, I still stand by it, and it is no way relies on me having actually seen the new transfer or not. So if analogies that are intended to prove the point that the correctness of the film should trump the quality of the technology are FUD, then so be it.

DJ

Gordon McMurphy

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Lyle, calm down! And be polite! That goes to everybody!

I like both transfers. The blue hues in the new transfer are there, they just aren't as plugged-up as the previous transfer. The shot of the door? Man, I always thought that it was blue, but... I don't know, that shot may have been coloured from white to blue for stylitic reasons at the telecine. It just now seems to me that no colours have been 'removed' from this new transfer - maybe Anchor were just too apprehensive about changing the color scheme without the participation if Adam Adams or Dean Cundey, who are probaly really busy at the moment - Cundey most certainly is. They could have used the previous transfer as a template, but in my opinion, they haven't done anything overtly 'wrong' - they haven't been neglegent.

Okay. Criterion were good enough to lend Anchor the commentary for this new release, and I wonder how Anchor will return the favour. In my opinion, the HD-DVD of Halloween should be handled by Criterion and have a PCM mono track! HD-DVD - unlike 'SD'-DVD, has the space for PCM mono and stereo.

Just try and keep the peace, fellow Carpenter fans! It's a real drag when threads like these are closed due to nastiness.

Gordy

Kevin M

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Indeed, all the pointless posturing, head butting, Territorial pissing and bickering that sours so many the threads these days drag HTF down into the depths of teen newsgroups...well maybe not that bad but nonetheless why do we have to act so childish? I have been in a discussion over in After Hours regarding the possible existence (or not) of The Lock Ness Monster and while there are many differing opinions on the subject it has remained reasonably civil...as civil as a discussion on Nessie can be I suppose.

God I hate to use this overused quote but it fits...Can't we all just get along??

Now having said all of that I have to admit that I will hold my final opinion on the disc until I actually see it.