What's new

Any reviews for Crouching Tiger Superbit (other than WSR)? (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hi All,
Well it seems like Desperado is a marked improvement (because the master used is better, as well as the SuperBit encoding process) so I will be buying that one. Fifth Element is marginal in its improvement. But other than WSR (whose site is either down or terminally slow) I haven't seen hide nor hair of the Crouching Tiger SuperBit disc. Has anyone done an A/B with it yet?
Thanks in advance!

Jeff F.

Second Unit
Check dvdreview.com. They have reviews for both "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and "Fifth Element."
They saw minimal improvement with "Crouching Tiger" but seemed to really like "Fifth Element."
Check it out.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys!
With Godfather coming up on the same day, I guess I'm just going to have to warm up the plastic and spring for these three SB titles. Nothing like a good consumer to support the economy, eh?

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Can anyone tell me if they've fixed the subtitling so that it always displayed above the lower black bar?

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Carlo, although I haven't seen the Superbit discs yet, I had a brief conversation with a few people at the HTF Farewell dinner. The consensus is that it is a pure marketing tool and that they basically look the same as previous releases. Peter Staddon even went on to say "I wish I had thought of that" :)

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
quote: The consensus is that it is a pure marketing tool[/quote]
quote: Well it seems like Desperado is a marked improvement (because the master used is better, as well as the SuperBit encoding process)[/quote]
I guess the best possible picture and sound with current DVD technology must a marketing ploy because it has a cheesy name associated with it.
rolleyes.gif

In the case of The Fifth Element, the transfer was already what many considered reference--so it is logical to assume that the difference would be minimal.
In the case of Desperado, a new transfer was used for the Superbit--so it is logical to assume that the difference would be marked.
Just give me the best presentation of the movie possible. I don't care if you call it Superbit or MaxDigiStream or UltiDVD. If I haven't yet purchased the title, I don't care if there was a previous (inferior) version on DVD. For those of us who have already purchased the movies in question, the differences may not warrant an upgrade UNLESS one requires the best presentation of the movie possible. If I deem my current non-Superbit version as "good enough" then I won't purchase the re-issue.
I don't get why not having extras must be some kind of gimmick. To me, the extras themselves seem to be becoming a gimmick.
-Mike
------------------
God Bless America--and all people who stand for freedom.
patriot.gif

[Edited last by MikeSerrano on October 05, 2001 at 03:39 PM]

Adam_H

Auditioning
I have CT superbit. The print has a lot of speckles and dirt. The subtitles are also player generated so sometimes they over the black bar if they're saying a lot.
Peace

Kia

Auditioning
What about the DTS 5.1 soundtrack? Is there any noticeable improvement from the original DD soundtrack?
I own both CTHD and Desperado, but not Fifth Element. I'm considering buying the 3pack but what I want to know if the original Fifth Element DVD has any extras not included in the Superbit edition?

Luis A

Second Unit
Kia, the DTS sound on the SB's are the biggest improvement. I have all 5 SB titles and to me it's well worth the upgrade. :) L

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks