Any reviews for American Dreams Season One EME?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Dane Marvin, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

I caught one small glimpse of a season two episode and that's all I've seen of this show. I realize that many of the songs chosen as Bandstand performances actually happened sometimes a few years after the timeframe in which the episode is supposed to take place, but that doesn't really bother me (since I'm young enough to generally not be able to tell which song is out of place). I'm usually a sucker for any 20th century period piece (Wonder Years, Freaks & Geeks, Quantum Leap, etc.), especially those in which music plays a huge role. Looks like it will be kind of expensive ($70 at B&M's, $62 at Amazon), but I'm willing to take the plunge as soon as I see some good reviews for it. Anyone seen any reviews for this yet?

I'm also wondering if the show does well enough on TV to last a while. It has been suggested that if not for the pull Dick Clark has, it wouldn't have lasted this long (now going into season 3). Not because it's a bad show, but because it airs on Sundays -- the most competitive night on television.

2. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Dane, I love it. I started watching it on Sunday and I'll finish it up today. Sunday I watched 8 episodes without doing much else, and then I watched a whole bunch more yesterday.

The theme song is very clappable [​IMG]

My complaint: poor chapter placement (what the heck happened at Universal??). It's also 4x3, but just because it was broadcast in HDTV doesn't mean that's how the producers want it released.

The musical performances sound great in 5.1. They also have bits of trivia about the 60s and the events occuring around the episodes. Each episode includes clips from "American Bandstand."

Gord

3. StacyV

StacyV Second Unit

4. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Stacy, a couple of corrections to your review:
    The pilot was filmed in Vancouver, not Toronto
    There are 3 commentary tracks for the final episode of the season in addition to the 3 for the pilot.

I had a lot of fun watching this set, though it broke my DVD player. Okay...it didn't break it, the thing just wore out. Since last July I logged 2347 hours on it (gotta love the Sony diagnostics menu).

Gord

5. StacyV

StacyV Second Unit

6. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Great show! Only just finished the third episode and I hope the show keeps it up. I love the soundtrack (odd these days to hear almost a full Bob Dylan song on a TV show DVD), I love the recreation of the AB set and performances (Michelle Branch was great as Leslie Gore), I love the frequently-shown clips of news, sports, or whatever the Pryors happen to be watching on TV (and having the patriarch own a TV store is a brilliant excuse for doing it), I love the interactions between the characters, I love the manner in which it has so far touched on the many social and political issues of the '60s, and I can't wait to see more. I hope the series itself can at least last until the characters see the year 1969 (which would put it at 5 seasons, I believe).