Any recommended Jack The Ripper DVDs?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by EricSchulz, Aug 16, 2004.

1. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I just got done watching the incredible film From Hell, and am looking for more Jack the Ripper inspired DVDs. Fact or fiction, it doesn't matter. I have been a big fan of the Ripper saga for many years and this just renewed my interest in it! Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

2. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

MURDER BY DECREE (Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper), MAN IN THE ATTIC (Jack Palance in a remake of "The Lodger") and TIME AFTER TIME (H.G. Welles vs. Jack the Ripper in a time-travel story with a great Miklos Rosza score). The definitive Ripper film is the 1944 THE LODGER. a remake of the Hitchcock silent--promised (perhaps) by Fox for their noir series to begin in 2005. All the others are now available on dvd.

3. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    Director Jess Franco certainly needs a warning because he's the most off the wall filmmaker but he did a version of JACK THE RIPPER with Klaus Kinski. I enjoyed the film but the title is just something to get you to watch it. In other words, it really doesn't deal with Jack the Ripper except in the bloody deaths. The story is pretty much the same as THE AWFUL DR. ORLOFF.

There are many public domain copies of this out there but Image and VIP have released official versions that feature a beautiful, anamorphic transfer as well as a commentary with the producer and a few other extras.

I love Jess Franco but if you aren't familiar with him then I'd suggest a rental first.

4. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Are there any decent Ripper movies that actually feature a plausible theory as to his identity? Murder by Decree and From Hell both subscribe to the same theory, which could generously be called fanciful.

5. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

The is a British Jack The Ripper mini-series with Michael Caine called, surprise, "Jack The Ripper". Avoid the Franco film unless you love being bored to tears.

6. Robert Saccone

Robert Saccone Stunt Coordinator

Unfortunately the Michael Caine film is only on avalable in Region 2.

7. Jonathan White

Jonathan White Stunt Coordinator

"Bridge across time" with David Hasselhoff, not sure if its available on DVD, its one of those films which is entertaining because it is so bad.

8. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Isn't EVERYONE multi-regional??? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Uh-oh, this might push me into signing up for Nicheflix...just what I need, MORE movies to watch!

10. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Hopefully Columbia will get around to releasing A STUDY IN TERROR, which is a really atmospheric Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack ther Ripper film from 1965. And let's hope it's 1.85:1 anamorphic and has a reasonable retail price.

11. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Seriously..this might just convince me to buy a multi-region DVD player. Ive been wanting this title for far too long. PM with any info please.

And now back to your thread....

12. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

There was a British (TV apparently) film called The Ripper that I felt was unfairly maligned during it's video release.
    I thought it was pretty good if flawed, the theory it follows is the one along the Royal Family line.

At the very least it is interesting and anyone interested in Jack should watch it at least once....although I do not believe it is out on DVD as yet.

13. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard

The title Bridge Across Time isn't familiar. I know this film as Terror at London Bridge. It says on the release dates page via it's main IMDb page, that it was shown in November 1985. So I assume it was filmed in the summer 1985 hiatus between the third and fourth seasons of Knight Rider. This TV movie is one of my most wanted TV titles. Who currently owns the rights to it?