What's new

Any recommendations? (1 Viewer)

laav

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Hello all,

I'm looking to upgrade my 27" CRT to an HDTV. I'm using DirecTV standard programming at the moment, and I'm not sure how long it will be before Local HD Channels are offered in my area. Therefore, I'd like standard broadcasts to look decent on this TV, because I've read that many times SD looks like crap on an HDTV. I'd be using this TV mainly for gaming (PS3), Blu-ray, DVDs, and DirecTV SD watching-- until HD Locals are available in my area. My price range is anywhere between $900-$1400. The type of TV doesn't really matter to me, as long as it works well in the areas I've mentioned.

Thank you so much for any help you can offer.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
A few questions to get you started:

1. What is your viewing distance?
2. What is your lighting environment?
3. Do you have a preference for flat panel or rear projection?

A 27" SDTV is roughly equivalent in size to a 32" HDTV. You may want to consider a Samsung 32" LN-S3251D LCD. This model has a gaming mode that was designed with the engineers at Xbox, and can be found for under $1,000. Ideal viewing distance is 4 to 6.5 ft.

Personally I would consider a JVC 52" HD-52FA97 Rear Projection set, which can certainly be found for under $1,400. This set is ideal for 7-10ft viewing distance when viewing HD content. The picture quality on LCoS sets is outstanding.

laav

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Thanks for you reply.. My viewing distance would be approximately 5-7 feet. I really have no preference between the two.. I'm just looking for the best picture and value out there. I'd like the TV to be larger than the 27" SDTV.

At times in the day, there is a good amount of light that will enter the room I plan on putting the TV in. I want to make sure that the TV works well in SD, because it may be a while before HD Local channels are offered in my area. Am I correct in thinking that shows like 24 and Lost are broadcast in high definition even if the local channel isn't? I sometimes see "Broadcast in HDTV" during the openings of these shows.

laav

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Now that I've answered the previous poster's questions, could anyone please make a few recommendations?

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
I am deciding between the following:

Panasonic TH-42PX60U $1299 Fry's (Plasma)
Sony KDF-46E2000 $1199 Fry's (LCD RPTV)

The Sony also comes in a 42" model for $1299

These are the best I've found in this size/price range. I did not look smaller. I do not like the LCD flatpanels due to poor blacks and streaking during high motion video (like sports).

There are also some 46" and below DLP sets in this price range that are nice.

If you don't care about size you might really like a 34" HD CRT. ~200 lbs, but a great picture.

laav

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Thank you for such a quick reply. So you believe that Plasma and Rear-projection would suit my needs best? I would like the TV to be around the sizes you listed, and I have seen the Panasonic TH-42PX60U on Amazon for a good price. Should I be worried about the lack of 1080p on the Panasonic?

pahhhoul

Auditioning
Real Name
paul ubongen
I myself am also looking for recommendations.

here's my criteria.

viewing distance from tv 3-5ft. max.
it's in my living room, so plenty of light comes in unfortunately.
budget $1800 max... will spend up to $2000 if I have to.
will be used for watching DVDs 90% of the time. 10% gaming.
DLP or Plasma?
do I buy online or at a brick & mortar store?

help..?!?! my 30" LG widescreen is giving me big screen envy

thanx,
paul

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
laav,
I wouldn't pay for 1080p at the size and price you are looking at. If you think there will be a lot of light in the room you should probably eleminate the plasma as you will see a lot of glare. The RPTVs have matte screens to elimnate this.

pahhoul,
3-5 feet? I would think you need a

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
yes, the Wega engine has a good built in line double and scaler. It works very well with 480i off a DVD. It looks ALMOST as good as 720p, but not quite.

With 480i signals from DirecTV it really depends on how much DirecTV compresses the channel on their end. Some are pretty average, and others look good.

jeff.m

Agent

the LCD RPTV's don't have the streaking that the flat panel LCD's do? is it just less noticeable or absent all together?

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
Not at all. They are different technologies when it comes down to it, just happen to share the LCD somewhere in their name.

I went with the 46" LCD RPTV for the extra size, and the lower cost (found a great sale).

But all things being equal, I preferred the Plasma picture w/o a doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks